Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current Goodwear lead times

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is not my intent or wish to start a debate on Goodwear's business model. I am asking if any members have insight or experience with Goodwear's current lead time from placing an order for a Goodwear jacket to having a jacket in production.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jon,
I put a deposit down for another GW in December last year and John told me we were looking at a 12 month lead time. My previous jacket was paid for in January or February of 2016 and received in December of 2018.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Not my intent to start a business model debate, but all that can be said for sure is "it depends".
I know for a fact that some members on this forum can get a jacket done in a couple months.
I also know for a fact that other members, like @Boyo and I waited for over 5 years, i am pretty sure we still have members who have been waiting as long or longer.
Basically it's a coin toss, you are part of the chosen ones or you wait.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Not my intent to start a business model debate, but all that can be said for sure is "it depends".
I know for a fact that some members on this forum can get a jacket done in a couple months.
I also know for a fact that other members, like @Boyo and I waited for over 5 years, i am pretty sure we still have members who have been waiting as long or longer.

Yes.. all true. I waited a little more than 5 years for the Hercules I got last year, although to John's credit he didn't charge me for the finished jacket because of the wait..
I do believe there are some jackets that are "easier" for GW to produce i.e. an A-2. So those orders may have shorter turn around times. He also seems to make a lot of test jackets in his size ( 44-46 ) so if your in that size range often a phone call or email asking "what have you got" can result in a jacket pretty quick.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Yes.. all true. I waited a little more than 5 years for the Hercules I got last year, although to John's credit he didn't charge me for the finished jacket because of the wait..
I do believe there are some jackets that are "easier" for GW to produce i.e. an A-2. So those orders may have shorter turn around times. He also seems to make a lot of test jackets in his size ( 44-46 ) so if your in that size range often a phone call or email asking "what have you got" can result in a jacket pretty quick.

That’s incredible ... did I get that right, he didn’t charge you at all for the jacket due to the wait time?

CBI

One Too Many
the waits times vary mainly due to supplies. He orders unique materials that often include makers making special runs of things just for him or I know in the past, he will split on order with another maker in order for the order to be large enough for a supplier to make a run. This can add time. Also, he might have what he needs for a jacket right now but when he gets to your jacket a year later, supplies of something have run out. Before you get in the cue, tell him exactly what you want, if an A-2, which contact, which hide, etc. then ask with all that in mind how long it might be. That said, there may be many in the cue who get in there without really deciding on details or later change their mind. Although John is really busy the quantity of jackets made is only so much which can limit him making large orders of supplies like 5 years worth of "x" leather.....thats too expensive for him to order all at once. Its my 2 cents but even with the wait, being flexible and not insisting an EXACT down to the detail thing is the way to go. Also, by the time he gets to your jacket, he might have some new leather or new way to age it or really authentic new knits that may not be the exact color you wanted when first placing the order, etc.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
All mine (accept for my Shinki Arcadia) are test jackets, or his version of factory seconds. One I bought off his sales page, then I got a flurry of calls with offers all of which I accepted without hesitation. I know he had a very hard time with his sewing machines for quite a while, but I think that problem has been solved. I'm pretty sure he bought a new buttonholer machine.
I am hoping for a test Mojave. I think @nick123 got one recently. +- 12 month lead time seems much better than it has been.

diabel

Familiar Face
Yes, I placed the $200 deposit with the original order and after apologizing for the extended wait he did not charge me the remainder.

John told me that as he is working through some personal and business challenges and he brought his wait time down to 12-18 months. In my case as he is making a replacement jacket that somehow got lost my wait time will be about 6 months after agreeing/discussing the replacement. I did ask him though not to rush it as I know that he is in the midst of various projects and I don't want to impact them.

diabel

Familiar Face

When I chatted with John in July, I suggested that he establishes web based official and transparent waiting list. So after you pay deposit you get on the list and you can check where you are. Instead I think John aims to hire an assistant/jacket enthusiast who can communicate such status and also be able to properly gather customer requirements.

wanz

One of the Regulars
I am currently at six and a half years. I connected with John last October and it sounded like we were going to get a chance to move forward but then he went to radio silent. We never got to the point of discussing materiel so I don't see how supplies could be a factor. I was empathetic to some of the events in his life and asked him not to rush. Based on the understanding that I offered him, it is disappointing that he appears to have worked on others ahead of me. At this point, I am just curious to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
When I chatted with John in July, I suggested that he establishes web based official and transparent waiting list. So after you pay deposit you get on the list and you can check where you are. Instead I think John aims to hire an assistant/jacket enthusiast who can communicate such status and also be able to properly gather customer requirements.

That’s kind of how Himel Bro’s works and I know he and John are close. Perhaps they share thoughts with one another such as this

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

That's also what i was told by JC too back in early 2018...
Excuses don't change i see... Why would he change anything if deposits keep on faling from the sky?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm at the point when I can pull the trigger whenever I want to, but it was around an 18 month wait to get there.

JDelage

Familiar Face
I placed my deposit in March 2017 for a B-6. I haven't heard back since then. I've been emailing John every 1-2 weeks for the last few weeks asking where we're standing, and I've received no response. Having done plenty of arts & craft commissions I understand the delays and slow communication. I am getting slightly frustrated with *no* communication, to be honest, but hopefully that will get resolved at some point...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana