Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

current production tilley hats

music321

New in Town
I've only just heard of tilley hats, and know little about them. A few have said that the older ones had a less-stiff brim, and were made to far higher quality standards. any truth to this? thanks.

edit: I'm looking at the t3 or t4.

I might be going to the tropics, and need to protect myself from the sun. any other suggestions for natural-fiber hats would be appreciated.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
I have a tilley T3 in olive color. Had it over 10 years. It has been a great hat. The chin strap/back of the head strap is great. Wear it boating etc, where this keeps the hat on the head. it floats also.
Washed it once. Has many years left in it.
Can't comment on if they are made different now. They are made in Canada so I can't see how they would would have changed how they are made.
Give one a try. They have a great warranty.

I purchased a Tilley in during a trip to Florida 10 or so years ago. I lost it several years back and called Tilley to order another. The store where I had purchased it registered the hat so they had the size and model and sent me a replacement at a discount which arrived the next day. The second hat was identical to the first.

I would recommend the nylon LTM series hats. They are much lighter than cotton duck, dry quickly, are machine washable and are virtually indestructible. The sweatband is CoolMax, I believe, soft and comfortable and very long lasting. The crown pops in for packing flat. I have quite a few hats and always struggle over which to bring when I travel. The Tilley is always along for days with heavy rain.

John J

Familiar Face
Any of the Tilley hats are a fine choice I have Two , a T4 and a TM10. Both are cotton Duck. I purchased the T4 for general outdoor use and kayaking , However I did find that the T4 is a bit warm on hot summer days so I bought the TM10 that is mesh ventilated.

The TM 10 is cooler for sure and has a bit bigger brim than the T4. I wear the T4 early spring and fall for cooler rain conditions and the TM10 when its hot and sunny.

You cant go wrong with any Tilley hat , Very well made and lots of choices.

Note: T4 has a bit wider brim than T3 same hat for the most part.

"John"

Last edited:

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I wear a recently made Tilly hat when I golf in the strong Texas sun. Mine is the T5MO which is a light, soft cotton (not the duck) with mesh around the top of the crown for ventilation. It is a well made hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana