Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Aero, the trigger has been pulled

Fonzie

One Too Many
Mixed feelings as I receive my jacket.
First of all I received a call two days ago from DHL Australia that I was about to get hit with unexpected custom duties of AU$300 (£180) to get my jacket released for delivery. That's 25% on top of the total price I paid to Aero! This is the third Aero I buy direct from them and never before I had to pay custom duties, I called Aero and they said it was beyond their control so I paid the price hoping that it would be the last issue and the jacket would be worth it.

Then I received the jacket today and I was shocked when I opened the box to realise that they've put the wrong lining on it and left the kidney panel also! something that I very clearly specified I didn't want!
The jacket is beautiful and very well made, the fit is good too but these two issues have left me with a strange feeling.
I'll email Aero to see what they have to say.
In total I paid £900 with all shipping and customs included.
That's a lot of money, at least for me.
I was very excited as this was my first custom jacket and now the excitement has turned frustration.

First world problems though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fonzie

One Too Many
082780a41276a0c0b2e1d8d083b84653.jpg
ae01bd2b5cc626dd8ee4915d05653cfc.jpg
62b4bf5b6591f2e4954fdcd8852a0c09.jpg
82e1c00881b03cff29dcf9d628661383.jpg
56ed4e4b9a0592d8d7eae5f367798ff3.jpg
2dd2a237d03b88f2d09b7338d8d36d00.jpg
e2e6b605e4413f2a84c8d4cc22f8b586.jpg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The fit and the jacket seems excellent. Regarding the import duty issue: I don't know what happens with Australia, but in the EU we always pay import tax for goodies outside the EU (I have bought many Alpha and Schott Jackets from the US and I always paid import duties). Now regarding the lining and the panel: if you're not happy with it then send it back - it is not your fault. In any case do contact Aero to see what when wrong.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Thanks for the encouragement guys, it is a beautiful jacket nevertheless and at the end on the day the lining and kidney panel are only noticeable by me, I'll talk to them to see what they think.
Regarding the fit, it is very nice, a bit tight around the waist and only issue I see is that there's quite a bit of leather on the back panel and behind the shoulders/arm pit area, I wonder if this will soften with time as right now it looks like there's bat wings.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fonzie, so sorry to hear you had complications but damn that's a nice looking jacket! What lining were you after? It looks like you got the black cotton drill?

Regarding the "excess" leather on the back near the shoulders, from what I understand that's the cut of the pattern, it's to allow the freedom to reach forward and grasp the handlebars of a motorcycle which the jacket is designed for.....its just part of it but I'd expect the "batwing" would lessen when the leather breaks in.

I'm assuming you will be up for postage back to Aero, can you claim duty back on returned goods? Maybe you can?

Supposedly we should only get charged duty on goods imported worth over $AUD1000, I'm curious what Aero declared for the value of the jacket, can you let us know please.

That's just beautiful man. Fits to the nuts!!! Seriously. That is an ideal fit!!!'
I mean it's Perfectamundo!!
That said if it's not what you ordered and you're hung up on it I feel Aero should cover the cost to make it right. You've shelled out a good chunk of change already!

Last edited:

Metal Dog

New in Town
Great looking jacket, Fonzie! I'm about to put in my order for a black Vicenza Maxwell. The last detail I'm debating is whether to go with stitching other than black or not. Any chance you could post a closeup photo of your brown stitching?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't be so quick to send that back -- looks great!
I'm going to have to agree with what @Superfluous just said. Your Sheene looks, and probably fits more or less the same as mine, except my Sheene is black Vicenza HH rather than black FQHH. Mine has olive cotton drill linlng, although I would have been equally as happy with black cotton drill. Neither of my Sheenes have kidney panels, and as far as I can determine, neither does yours. I suspect your perception that your jacket is "a bit tight around the waist" is a reflection of the black corduroy strip at the waist which mine doesn't have. I do like the concept though of the corduroy strip providing additional protection of the lining where the belt rubbing might cause premature wear.

Nevermind the kidney panel and the lining... But what's that thing where the CR collar is supposed to be!?

It's a beautiful jacket. I understand it's not 100% what you wanted but I also think it's just too nice to go through the hustle of exchanging the jacket for a few tiny details you're probably going to forget about in a few weeks time. The fit is beyond perfect and it's the best kind of black FQHH, one that's just right. If you send it back, you might end up paying custom duties for the remake as well which ultimately might not be worth it. That import stuff is completely at random and it's best not to take any unnecessary chances with it.

For what it's worth, I think it's a perfect jacket. The kidney panel is just on the inside anyway and I know that if you don't specifically specify so, they'll only remove the outside lower back panel and leave the inside one.

technovox

One Too Many
Another vote for keeping that Sheene! The horsehide looks fantastic. And the fit looks spot on from the photos. And I'm also a big fan of the upper back yoke on a Sheene.

From the front, it looks like the shoulder seams are correctly aligned with your shoulders. But I see what you mean about excess on the back...although the jacket could end up too tight if the excess was eliminated. How does the fit feel? Can you easily touch the top of your opposite shoulder with your hand while wearing the jacket all zipped up? Does it feel too loose?
Because the kidney panel and lining are only interior items- those wouldn't be a deal breaker for me...but some kind of compensation would be a good gesture. Perhaps they could send you the lining you requested and cover the cost of a local tailor to replace it?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot