Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Enfield arrives, fit info, etc.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
My new custom Enfield arrived today.
Black, steerhide, size 38, zipped pockets, hem shortened 1 inch, ordered mid Aug.

I will get my camera out and take some pics later this week for fellow fetishists.

Fit info is provided for those considering this model jacket. (I find useful fit info to be hard to get so I'm hoping this will be helpful).

My measurements are:
153 lbs.
5 ft. 10 in. height.
39 chest with narrow shoulders (shoulder to shoulder width) of 17 in.
waist = 35 in.
inseam = 34-35 in.

I'm not a muscular guy. Usually take a 38 or 40 OFR.

HEAVY JACKET
Jacket/box weighs in at 7.05 lbs. so jacket was just about 7 lbs. (No big leather smell on box opening but you can get whiffs of it after putting it on.) Hand of leather is nicely dense, not soft, milled limp or spongy. Smooth hide and cardboard stiff. Colour = a rich black with sheen. Leather thickness is perfect.
Zippers are brass and quite substantial and will need to be soaped (or something?) to run smoothly.
Stitching looks good.

FIT
Definitely glad I didn't take an inch off the sleeve length or they would have been too short (my shoulder edge to wrist knuckle is exactly 23 inches), as it is the standard length is perfect just reaching to large knuckles on back of hand.

I did take an inch off the body as I had heard the Enfield was a bit long in stock form, very glad I didn't take more than an inch off!, as it is the hem now covers my belt with normal rise jeans and just goes past top of pockets by 1/2 inch so perfect length for me. I can put my hands in jean's pockets without the jacket getting shoved up to my chin. ;) ....... anymore than an inch off would have made the jacket too short.

ENFIELDS ARE NOT BLOUSEY!!
The jacket fits more snugly than I expected it would, if it had been the Model B which is supposedly more tapered, I would not have been able to put it on or been able to zip it up.
The Vanson tailor recommended a size 38 based on the full gamut of measurements I provided so that's what I went with.

The jacket's snuggness will allow no more than a tee shirt and a regular long sleeve cotton collar shirt, so as noted, quite snug, it fits like a cafe racer to be honest. I don't think it is loose enough to allow a Vanson cold weather liner to be fitted. (not sure how thick they are though but doubt it.)

The sleeves zipper up tight enough around wrists that you have to unzip them to get your arms out, nice. The forearms and biceps are really snug and I have girly arms. :eek:
If your arms are anywhere close to Popeye's, forget it, you'll never get them in there.

It has enough room in the shoulders to be comfortable but the arm holes are snug (I can feel it in my arm pits) as is the chest, a pack of smokes in shirt pocket = tight when zipped up.

Waist closure is enough and no more. I probably could have gotten away with a sz. 40 but the 38 feels like a tailor made snug motorcycle jacket so I think it will be okay as it was bought to ride in warm weather.

While the jacket looks like a perfect fit in the mirror I'm hoping that the jacket will stretch out a bit with some use as it is just snug enough to be, well, pretty darn snug.
What do you guys think, Is that a possibility??

I was expecting the Enfield to be a little looser in arms and body than a cafe racer. Not so. The jacket is in the zone enough that I will be keeping it. When I donned the jacket and had a good look at it as well as in the mirror all I could think was "wow, that's a real motorcycle jacket!" :)

Cheers, Ted.

PS. While I was told the jacket was made in El Salvador the only label in the jacket is the regular Vanson, Boston label. No label indicating where it was actually made.

PSS. Also, Vanson's description of Enfield I believe states that the jacket pockets are leather lined, mine are cloth lined which is okay by me. If side pockets had been leather lined there would have been way too much leather across stomach area of jacket.

PSSS. If anyone needs actual jacket measurements just pm me.

Last edited:

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Ted,
That looks like an awesome jacket! Waiting for almost a year...I can imagine how exited it must been when the parcel arrived at your door.
Congratulations and enjoy breaking (or riding) in your jacket.
Cheers,
Andy

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Yeah, trying to find my digital camera, my house is badly cluttered :eek:.

Would appreciate comments as to whether or not one can expect a new steerhide jacket to stretch out much after some breaking in, what has been your experience in this regard? As noted the jacket is snug so hoping it will give up some room with some break in.

The leather is certainly stiff and I can see it will definitely take a couple of hundred 'wearings' before its broken in where it'll be considered as an old friend.

My next jacket will be one of the following:
Aero Bootlegger - brown fqhh or oil pull
Aero Windward - " "
Aero Halfbelt - " "
Schott 689hh
:eek:

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Hey, I know it's not what you want to hear but I've never been able to stretch leather. I've owned quite a few jackets and pants that happened to be a 1/2 to full size too small for my frame. No amount of leather conditioner or break-in ever managed to increase the size of these garments. And not for any lack of trying on my part. If anything, leather tends to fit smaller in my experience as it breaks in and develops creases/wrinkles and conforms to your body shape.

I've found that if I suspect a jacket fits too small at first... that means it is and as time goes by this sneaking suspicion becomes an undeniable truth to me. Then, I wind up never wearing it.

One caveat... I've never owned a steerhide jacket but from what I understand it is virtually indistinguishable from regular cowhide. Hey best of luck, hope it all works out!!! Perhaps when you post pics we can help you out a bit more after judging the fit.

Bonneville
My first 'quality' utility jacket(Aero Hwymn...9 yrs ago))was quite tight through underarm across the back. Nothing extreme...but the binding effect concerned me somewhat at the time. After contacting Aero..I was advised to wear it and 'give it some time' to break-in and stretch and mold to by body. I'm glad that I did as it now fits like a glove. However...usually the sleeves will shorten a 'tad' as creasing with wear takes affect. Otherwize some areas 'stretch'..while others will seem to shorten as they wrinkle and form with wear. I'm not quite sure just how you want your Enfield to fit. There are several pics on this forum how the Vanson Enfield fits a few others. It is a trim jacket with some neat fitting features concerning 'reach' and comfort..but not sure it is meant to fit skin tight...or so tight that a insulated liner can't be utilized. Before wearing it too much...I think I would take these things into consideration...and checkout pics on this forum. BTW..my Enfield is quite heavy..but not near as stiff as an Aero FQHH jacket...although it does have a crisp hand(or finish). Really...normally it is such a nice patterned jacket that it should fit right without much worry of being too tight...if it is truely your size.
HD

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Bonneville,
Congrats on a great jacket.
I love mine and it's just right for riding my Speed Triple (ya gotta love them Triumphs)
As for stretching, my FQHH Highwayman's sleeves were a tad too short for my liking.
So, I went for a walk in the rain and got it completely soaked.
While it was wet, I grabbed the ends of the cuffs with my hands and pulled, stretched, bent my arms and basically abused
the leather in the arms. In the end, I'd say the sleeves stretched between .5 and 1" in length.
Don't know if you'll have the same luck with the Cow Hide of the Enfield, but it's worth a try if you're not happy with the fit.
Just soak it and wear it till dry while moving and contorting your body in ludicrous ways.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Lenny

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the comments guys. The jacket isn't too small for me (thank God), just a bit more snug than I had expected an Enfield to be.

After a little more time with the jacket I think the feeling of restriction I've been sensing in the arm holes and chest is due in part to how stiff the leather actually is. (I can ball up my fist and fit it between jacket and chest with it zipped up, I've read that's an indication of good fit).

This is the first quality heavy weight motorcycle jacket I have ever actually tried on (I lead a sheltered life :eek:) so the physical sensation of such a stiff garment is quite new to me. I suspect that after some softening up the sense of restriction will ease as Hoosier suggests.
The fit of the jacket looks perfect on me. I must say that I'm very pleased with it.
(just took a few pics using the camera on my laptop but unfortunately too poor to post)

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with HD's comments (as usual).

First of all I don't like a tight motorcycle jacket. I just can't move in them. I am a 42 but got a size 44 Enfield. It was the fit I wanted. It doesn't feel big or look big, and there is room for the liner. Had I gotten the 42, it would have been too tight for my tastes, and it would have been a tight fit for the liner (which is thin). There probably would have been insufficient room for a Polar Tech vest. The arms were tight, but the leather did stretch at the elbows to make a more comfortable fit. I loved the length of the sleeves, came almost to the first knuckles. I have long arms and always have been sensitive to sleeves being too short. As the sleeves wrinkled, they shortened. Now about an inch shorter, but still a very good length for me.

So, expect the sleeves to shorten and to get a little larger at the elbow. Expect a more comfortable fit as the leather is broken in and relaxes, but don't expect it to get much larger. It is made of a thick hide.

The Enfield will stretch sort of like a leather shoe; it won't get much bigger, but it will be more comfortable to wear with time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR