Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

custom hat for a newbie?

louis

New in Town
I got my Panama from!

Why, Panamabob, of course. Ended up getting a fino, fino body that, provided I stay lucky, Art Fawcett will block sometime after Robert sends it to him. Just until tonight, I'd been thinking I wanted a Panama Porkpie, but that turns out to have a four month weave wait. I've decided to go with a more classic block, something on Robert's site called the "Anderson." Truth be known, I'd been a little scared to block a fine body in such a jazzy style as the Porkpie, anyway. So, I'm going for traditional.
louis

louis

New in Town
Stepping away from tradition

I like tradition, but it's generally not my style. I'm from Connecticut, but I live in Boulder. I'm used to porkpie styles. Once, about thirty years ago, a buddy of mine stopped by my place sporting a fancy Panama. As I recall, he'd recently been to South America. He'd probably picked it up there. At the time, I thought to myself, what's that? He looked like a real tourist. The hat was beautiful, but he didn't wear it well. If that hat had been on the right guy, I'd have never given it a second thought. Generally, I beleive a guy must evolve into the right hat. Otherwise it can never look right. Has anyone out there ever seen a ninteen year old pull off a classic fedora? I'm fifty-two; I can wear a Panama now. But, a Fedora? I'm a writer. A lot of writers wear fedoras, but it doesn't look right. Before a guy can wear a fedora, the wind has to blow in his face for a lot of years, and a guy knows he's made an error in judgement when people start refering to him as "Panama" if you catch my drift.

louis

New in Town
Clarity on last comment

Hey guys:
The last statement: "A guy knows he's made a mistake in judgement when people start refering to him as Panama." has nothing to do with panamabob. The point is supposed to be that some people end up being known for what they wear or where they are from, and suddenly people start using the name of the object as a nickname for the person. A guy from Florida moves to Texas and everyboby calls hin "Miami"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael