Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom hat question

coble

A-List Customer
Bear with me, in the progress of getting a line of hats together. I came into some good luck, my uncle is making my new hat blocks. Opening In January. Tweed hats will be made by size.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'm still interested in donegal tweed hats that have a full brim of 2.5 inches. Whether walking-hat, fedora or boonie style, I'm interested. In order to reinforce the shape of the crown, you could use interior piping.

Capwise, I might be interested if it provides a way to fine-tune the circumference. I like 8-dart style.

For tweed, I like brown donegal, either salt-n-pepper or herringbone. I don't like tweed with windowpane bigger than a quarter of an inch.

coble

A-List Customer
image.jpg
image.jpg

Prototype is in progress, just wanted to give you all a little peak. this is just the top portion sewn together, the brim liner and sweatband is not on it yet.

the 2.5 walking irish cap will be available in January.
i will also have an 8 panel also available in January.
-my hats will be available starting January, just wanted to share the progress.
-they will also be available by size, NOT Small, Medium, Large, and XL.
-I will also have a selection of tweed to choose from.

Last edited:

coble

A-List Customer
update, i will ONLY be making the 2.5 inch brim irish walking hat, the flat cap is still in design mode. The irish walking hat, with the 2.5 inch brim in tweed will be available. The price will be $85 dollars

here's the question for those interested...

what color tweed would you like, i'm going to have two colors of tweed, and i'll have a grey wool walking hat. But i'm going to make a tally on which two tweed styles and colors. So i need to know answers. I'm about to go on vacation from work so i'll be posting the prototype to the full brim 2.5 walking hat in the next 2 weeks.

so hit me up with what you all on the lounge are looking for, going to do my best to fill everyones needs.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
update, i will ONLY be making the 2.5 inch brim irish walking hat, the flat cap is still in design mode. The irish walking hat, with the 2.5 inch brim in tweed will be available. The price will be $85 dollars

here's the question for those interested...

what color tweed would you like, i'm going to have two colors of tweed, and i'll have a grey wool walking hat. But i'm going to make a tally on which two tweed styles and colors. So i need to know answers. I'm about to go on vacation from work so i'll be posting the prototype to the full brim 2.5 walking hat in the next 2 weeks.

so hit me up with what you all on the lounge are looking for, going to do my best to fill everyones needs.
Hey Coble, I'd been away from the Lounge for awhile but, I'm still interested in seeing what you come up with on this. I will say this about tweed for hats: I like tweed because of its function. Tweed in its un-altered state is water-resistant, quick-drying and has a good ventilation factor - exactly what I want from a hat.

On a tall-crown hat, such as an Irish Walking hat (or fedora, boonie, etc), I'd prefer color-flecked donegal tweed, either a salt/pepper weave (that's the quintessential donegal tweed, IMO) or herringbone (if there aren't too many non-matching seams on the hat - I'd have to see the result before really judging). For the overall color, I like browns/tans.

About liners:
A lining will only be good if it's some type of natural silk. Anything synthetic or water-retaining will detrimentally affect the tweed's ability to ventilate.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

-Nyah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn