Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shirts Arrived

android

One of the Regulars
Wow, I love the detailing on the back of that jacket. And for only $16.75. It looks like at least a $19.75 suit to me!

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I got my tux from my mycustomtailor.com. I ordered the Deluxe $420 model with single button satin shawl lapels.

Which materials did you choose? How does that look. Any thoughts, impressions, other comments about material selection?

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Got my Chicago Mob Suit today!!!

Once again, what materials did you choose? Any comments or suggestions regarding materials?

More generally, how soundly do they make materials? Are they well sewn? Do they look like they will last?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The suit is well made for sure. I'm no expert, but it seems pretty high quality. I chose a grey year 'round wool with a striking stripe. I gave them my "off the rack" measurements to speed things up, 'cuz if you've seen their measurement page, you'd know how confusing it could be!
I did choose the baggy fit option on the order page, hoping to get them even baggier than the suit came standard with, but no dice! It's really the rise of the pants that I don't like, but like I said, you can't even see them. The front of the jacket looks like the catalogue pics Root just posted, but no belted back of course!
The only thing, and this is coming from someone who only wears vintage, the suit doesn't LOOK vintage. With the right tie and shoes maybe I can change that!!
flat-top

android

One of the Regulars
I got what they call a super 130 wool cashmere blend from the "Deluxe" Collection. It's Italian fabric. I'm not a great expert on suit material, but it was as nice as any $400 - $500 suit I could find on the shelf at Men's Whorehouse, Dillards or Foley's. I think some of the suits I see at Nordstroms are nicer fabric, but they are $600+ so I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

What I can tell you is that the build quality and stitching are very good. It's all tight, straight and even. There a lot of pockets and extra pockets inside of pockets. There's a watch pocket on the tux pants I didn't even ask for.

I have an Italian made Harold Powell sportscoat and it's better tailoring than that. I have two other custom suits I bought while I was in India and the Thai tailors are much better. I'm going to order from them again, but I think I'll start new thread on that.

Andy

LetterJ

New in Town
"Which materials did you choose? How does that look. Any thoughts, impressions, other comments about material selection?"

It's definitely worth ordering samples from them. When I ordered my shirts, I also ordered about 20 fabric samples that came on a card. You can then see exactly what color, texture, etc. the fabrics are before ordering.

Incidentally, last night I ordered a 3 piece suit (http://www.mysuitshop.com/fabrics.php?styleID=893) from them. 120s Merino Wool Blend All Year Round in Midnight Blue.

Also ordered another shirt, this time in soft white, with french cuffs (I got lots of cufflinks for Christmas), though even the previous shirts have cufflink holes in addition to the normal barrel cuff buttons.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Question...

Do you think the recent earthquake/tsunami has affected business there in Thailand?

Has anyone heard any reports?

Just wondering.
Pyro

LetterJ

New in Town
While I haven't specifically asked, they've been very responsive with regards to my current order and everything appears to be right on schedule with my previous experience.

LetterJ

New in Town
I just got an email from them detailing their situation.

The recent earthquake in Indonesia and the Tsumamis that followed into Thailand has prompted a lot of emails from our clients and patrons enquiring after our well being.
This shows you care and we are humbled.
We would like to assure all of you that by the Grace of the Almighty, we are all safe and sound here in Bangkok.
The quake was hardly felt here though some parts of Bangkok did shake a bit.
We ourselves only came to know about the disaster on CNN a few hours after it took place.
The Tsunami waves affected the coastal areas in the deep south of Thailand - specially Phuket - which is an hour by plane from here.
We were left Thankfully unaffected.
Rest assured that we are all safe and are actually looking forward to the coming year which we know will be as exciting as the past year.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I received my shipment from Thailand last week and took them to my seamstress today for critical appraisment and adjustments.

Upon the besis of my own measurements, I had submitted an order in their low-cost, "Classic" category for linen jacket and pants (essentially a two piece linen suit) and a cotton shirt. The jacket and pants were based on Barbour styles while the shirt was based on the Orvis Bush Shirt. My plan was to order some low cost items to evaluate both this firm and my measurements.

The order was submitted in the beginning of December and arrived at the beginning of January.

The measurements were generally good although seamstress adjustments were necessary. The sleeves were about 1 inch too short while the pants' waist and length were about 1.5 inches too long. The shirt's collar was about 1/4 inch too tight.

"You done good" was my seamstress's overall evaluation. She thought the workmanship on the shirt was excellent while the workmanship on the jacket was very good. She had some criticism of the cuff, which I did not fully understand.

My own impression is that I now have a very good casual linen summer suit satisfactory for informal occassions. The Bush Shirt fits well but frankly is too elegant for the rugged outdoor use I put my Orvis bush shirts. I intend, however, to purchase many more dress shirts from them.

I subsequently contacted them about the possibility of their making a Scottish tartan vest. They responded Thailand does not have tartan, however; so I would have to supply my own cloth. This turned out to be too difficult and expensive for me.

In short, people who want to purchase dress shirts or custom suits (such as a copy of Bogy's Casabalanca suit or Norfolk jackets) would do very well here. They certainly are to be considered for dress suits although Ebay purchases of Canali, Zegna, and similar outfits compete with them.

In conclusion, I will definitely purchase more shirts and custom suits from them and definitely am in the market for a Panama hat.

gobler

One of the Regulars
Samples

Well I have been looking over the site and I am going to order a set of fabric samples. My question for those here, I would like an Oxford or other 30's classic look (three piece perhaps) since I own a brown PB custom with Aldens. I know naught about clothing so I am asking you to give me a few ideas on the type of fabric I should order. Any help is welcome.

Cheers :cheers1:
Jeff

gobler

One of the Regulars
So no one has any input?? ;) Well perhaps more info is needed. I live in So Cal so it stays warm generally. So a fabric that's not too hot and something I can ware that is semi formal or casual. A good three piece.

:cheers1:
Jeff

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Wow! I still can't believe that these prices are for real! I must check out one of their dress shirts! Even if it would require minor modifications from my local tailor.
I will definately investigate this further!

In response to the last post...I suppose you would have to evaluate the fabric samples first. Talk to your local tailor, bring the samples in with you.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
So no one has any input?? Well perhaps more info is needed. I live in So Cal so it stays warm generally. So a fabric that's not too hot and something I can ware that is semi formal or casual. A good three piece.

Contact them with this info along with more specific details about what sort of suit you would want. They should be able to advise you.

It sounds to me like you want something from their "Classic" or "Deluxe" categories, but in all honesty I really am not sure what you are asking for. This is what their FAQ says about the different categories:

3w ) What is the difference between CLASSIC COLLECTIONS, EXCLUSIVE COLLECTIONS, DELUXE COLLECTIONS and HERITAGE GOLD COLLECTIONS? The fabrics in our classic collections are all made in Thailand and have a higher synthetic content to make them more wrinkle resistant and easy to maintain.
These fabrics are excellent for traveling and as very cost effective suits.
The exclusive fabrics are all imported with minimal synthetic blends and are generally lighter in weight.
They have a softer drape and fall. These fabrics are richer in look and feel.
The Deluxe fabrics are all imported from countries like Italy, France and the U.K. and are all pure wools, cashmeres etc unless otherwise specified.
These materials do not contain any synthetic fibers.
Should budgetary constraints not be an issue, we would recommend the more value added Exclusive or Deluxe fabrics for all your suiting needs and the Classic collections for your shirts as the best option.
It is not unusual though for first time clients to order from our classic collections to confirm the fit and cut of our products before investing in higher end selections.
The fabrics in the HERITAGE GOLD COLLECTIONS are sourced from Top End suppliers such as Dormieul, Holland and Sherry, Reda, Barberis and others in Europe.
The associated costs of having the fabric delivered to us for custom making to specifications provided as well as the fabrics being produced by high end millers, makes this line of fabric more expensive than the DELUXE.
The DELUXE COLLECTIONS itself is a very high end fabric range comparable to the best there is, but since it is available here in Thailand easily, and also stocked in our inventory, economies of scale allow custom clothing in these materials to be produced more cost effectively.
For the sake of comparison, an equivalent suit to our single breasted two piece from the classic collections is available in the USA for around USD 600 off the rack! An equivalent of our single breasted two piece suit from the exclusive collections is retailing in the USA for around USD 750+ and a suit equivalent to our deluxe collection single breasted suit retails for USD 950 in the USA.
Fabrics from our HERITAGE GOLD collections are rarely available as off the rack ready to wear suits and are generally found at very high end custom tailors such as those on Saville Row, England.
The suits in our HERRITAGE GOLD collection if found off the rack ready to wear from a designer label generally retails for USD 1500 + and if made to measure by a custom tailor in the UK, would generally go for USD 2500+ or GBP 1800+ (Back)

For what it is worth, I ordered a linen suit from them from their CLASSIC line which hardly would impress the fellows who debate the finer points of various Savile Row tailors on the AskAndyAboutClothes forum but would be perfectly fine for a summer garden party; and, for $150, who's complaining?

LetterJ

New in Town
Exactly. Whenever I talk about using MySuitShop, people keep wanting to compare directly to the $3000 suit shops, which is really odd. I've been comparing them to Men's Wearhouse and Jos A Banks as that's where their prices are and they blow them away for quality.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
So.....

Any new developments or critiques from those of you who have received your suits since last posting? I am strongly considering ordering a suit from these people but I'm a bit apprehensive about spending the money on a suit that I'm basically doing all the measuring for.

Also fit, craftsmanship, material? How do they rate? Thanks.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
My turn

IndianaGuybrush said:
Any new developments or critiques from those of you who have received your suits since last posting? I am strongly considering ordering a suit from these people but I'm a bit apprehensive about spending the money on a suit that I'm basically doing all the measuring for.

Also fit, craftsmanship, material? How do they rate? Thanks.

I have just submitted my order. I am now ready to get some new clothes for 2005. I just ordered a white dress shirt with rounded french cuffs.....we shall see.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Yeah Pyro, I think I'm going to go this way too. I figure at the very worst I drop around $40 for a shirt I don't like very much, and at best I find a reliable source for cheap but custom-fitted clothes. Make sure to let us all know when it comes in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk