Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Shirts Arrived

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Pyroxene said:
I have not. But when I do, I am going to send them all the data I can. I will send them pics from every angle and seam. Some will have a ruler across the fabric so they can see just how wide to make a pleat or whatever. Ideally, if you can send them the master garment, that usually helps the most. Then they can look at it and copy it. I did that with a private tailor once and the shirt was identical...except it was in my size.

Pyro: Great suggestions. I plan to send them the garments. Although I hate to take the risk in transport, what I want are accurate copies in my size. I think I am also going to have to track down the vintage fabric. Probably can do that in a trip to the garment district in NYC.

rilovsky

New in Town
I hope that you are satisfied with what you got.

I have made a very bad experience with mycustomtailor.com (which interestingly seems to have several webpages with different names; perhaps this should have been a warning):

To find out if mycustomtailor is good I made a first order and got a quite elegant shirt. So I made a order for 4 shirts and got real bad quality:
-measures didn't really fit
-size of buttons didn't match the buttonholes
-cheapest quality of tissue

Of course I never got my money back.

Can somebody recommend an internet tailor? Is there a tailor where you are sure that he is not a crook?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
rilovsky said:
mycustomtailor.com (which interestingly seems to have several webpages with different names

I had thought they're franchise things.

Anyway, makes one think. I was about to order a "test" shirt, too.

Did you order the others in the same material as the first one? And what was their reaction to your complaint anyhow?

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
That's not good....

It saddens me to hear that. Sounds like a local tailor may be better suited for you. MyCustomTailor is about all I wear lately.

Since I have last posted here, I have ordered a 3-piece suit, numerous shirts and several pairs of pants.

My first shirt we measured and re-measured. After about the 3rd shirt order I had the measurements dialed in. It wasn't that they fit poorly...maybe I wanted a larger collar on one and a little more room in the back on another.

Same with the pants. The first pair I ordered fits a little odd in places. But, I too got those measurements dialed in to a comfortable setting. I send all the measurements and except for the length. I will order the pants unfinished and then get them altered locally for about $4/pair.

Back in March 2007, my wife and I had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Ravi Daswani at the Magnolia Hotel in Houston, TX. (He is the guy on the right in this photo. http://www.ravistailor.com/Team_of_master_tailors.php?img=5 )

He is very nice but also very passionate about his work. Some people may not like that. I found it refreshing that I had somebody to debate collar height and sleeve length. We made some minor adjustments to my measurements but not much.

Where we really hit a home run was with my wife, Angela. We tried to order a test shrit and failed miserably. She was very put off with the experience. Well, now we had an opportunity to correct it.

Ravi took her measurements, sketched a shirt she described to him and chose the fabrics. She then ordered a pinstriped pant/skirt suit with 3 silk blouses. One of them was pearl, one gold and the other wine or burgundy. They fit like a glove and she really enjoys wearing them.

The one downside to a visit such as this is be prepared to order some clothes. I'm not talking just one shirt either. We ordered about $1100 worth of clothes. To me it's worth it because I get a better fit than ANYTHING off the rack.

Are they perfect? No. The buttons they put on will break occasionally and I'll have the cleaners fix them. They sent a brown belt instead of a black one once. One shirt I ordered the stripes go horizontal not vertical and I found that a little odd. All of these defects I have discussed with Ravi and I encourage anyone else to do so as well.

As I said earlier, MCT is about all I wear anymore to work. I'm a big guy and hard on my clothes. MCT keeps me looking sharp and professional.

Cheers,
Pyr.

[Edited for grammar]

android

One of the Regulars
I've since changes to Hemrajani Brothers (www.mytailor.com ) and had excellent results. The quality of material is great, and the fit and workmanship are excellent. I ordered about 18 shirts, a suit and a jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana