1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Custom Vanson Chopper - It has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jpk_NJ, May 16, 2019.

1. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

In all fairness, the Comet style pockets you requested are not possible on this cross zip because too little space due to the broader leather facing. That's why they put the inner pockets right next to the facing on these styles. Only thing wrong here is that the pocket is zipperless instead of with zipper. And tbh, based on this alone, I can't understand your reaction; like who even cares whether or not one out of 5 pockets has a zip or not. Plenty other pockets around?

What went wrong with the collar studs? That would bother me much more than the pocket...

2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

But that pocket isn’t seen into the body right at all. No compromises and no excuses.

3. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

if inner pocket without zip already change how the jacket drapes, a pair of horizontal inner pockets with zips will do even worse I imagine it will jab or flare toward the armpit, and the chest panel arcing or bowing out unnaturally. it is better to have vertical opening or at least slanted, I still can't understand how they make 2 pockets on top of each other, imagine both pockets are stuffed it would bulge tremendously on one spot

felix03 likes this.
  4. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

It looks poor and feels even worse wearing it. Also doesn't sit right with the lapels open. They were supposed to be 2 zip pockets with the Comet style facing that lacks the extra leather bulk of the pocket blousing. The zip is exposed instead of tucked under a piece of leather. Basically two less layers of leather being stitched into the corner. Works fantastics on the Comet and drapes/fits fine, with the benefit of having secure zip pockets while riding. As for placement, it seems like they just took the Comet pattern liner and threw it in my Chopper. Instead of re-patterning the liner and tweaking pockets accordingly. The cheap/quick way out. No one ever said "yes we can do it but they have to overlap". I would have agreed not to do it then. But again, the biggest thing is them building "not to agreed upon specs". Not even reaching out and saying "no we can't put zips in and it will be this instead". One mistake I can compromise with, but then when a follow up mistake happens it's insulting. They pay for shipping back and forth, but every day in riding season without the jacket you dreamt up hurts.

navetsea likes this.
  5. Psant25

Psant25 One of the Regulars

I am happy with my langlitz jackets. I would consider getting a refund and trying a different route. Or just order stock specs from them

6. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

That sucks jpk, I’m sorry to hear they ruined your jacket man.

7. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

ask them to replace the lining together with the leather facing, if you want to keep the mostly perfect contrast stitching on the outer shell. because with every alteration the facing would be narrower and narrower and can peek out on the lapel side

incorrect snap position yeah that sucks... so a remake, or refund.

there are other of stand collar crosszip but where do you get that kidney panel on a jacket

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. The dogs bollocks

The dogs bollocks Familiar Face

Ya know , my experience with Vanson is they promise so high and deliver so low. Not the company they used to be .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guppy and Colin G like this.
  9. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

On the positive side, a remake has been quickly agreed to. I probably should have pressed for one before the re-line attempt but live and learn. Also going to make this order a bit simpler. Two lessons learned on my part

10. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

That’s a good point right there. The jackets I have been least pleased with were the ones where I got most involved with specifying every little detail.

roadking04, ton312 and Psant25 like this.
  11. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I wouldn’t go that far. The fact that they’ll remake a totally custom jacket says quite a bit. Granted mistakes were made but at this point, many a maker would be telling the buyer to go pound sand.

El Marro and JMax like this.
  12. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Agreed, the customer service side of things was perfect. No fuss or trying to argue / defend the mistakes that were made. The major custom aspects of this order definitely met/exceeded my expectations. The quality in construction / materials was excellent. It was just the oversight by the liner worker, who's probably put red quilting in 99% of the time that snowballed this into a problem (aka re-line surgery on a new custom jacket). It’s really just a check/controls system that needs to be improved upon / implemented. No hard feelings from my side, just impatiently waiting for the redo.

El Marro, Peter Mackin and JMax like this.