Custom Vanson Chopper - It has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jpk_NJ, May 16, 2019.

1. JMax

JMax One Too Many

Haha. Yes, okay. Let's see, how does $1,500 sound? I will get myself two new jackets lol.

But seriously, the octagon breaks in pretty fast. Not like the CW. And I prefer the look of the X leathers over CW once break-in starts. Do it. Do it now.

2. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Wow that stitching really pops visually!

I find that style of lining is too warm for Sydney and really restricts when you can wear the jacket, especially for an actual motorcycle jacket, I want to be able to wear it virtually all year and just layer under when cold. I guess it depends on your climate but if you send it back, I'd be asking about the impact of new stitch holes on the jacket....

3. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

I really like the red lining, so I would keep it even if it was quite a big mistake. I also like the contrast stitching on the outside.

4. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Slept on it for a couple days and I think the red will stay but today's the true test. Taking it out for a ride on the bike in 77 F sunny weather.

If it does go for re-line, Im also thinking about having the lapel/chest snaps (black) added. I specifically requested it be made without but now I'm thinking it might be a bit plain without them. Kind of like a half belt jacket with the chest pocket removed, too much empty space on the chest visually.

5. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

“A bit plain”
    Nah. There’s already plenty to look at there. Don’t make it too busy.

nick123 and jacketjunkie like this.
  6. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

Personally, I really like it! I like the contrasting red lining, even though it's not what you requested. My only issue would be the "quilted" part. The Vanson E that is around 30 years old that I have for sale has the quilted black lining. It's warm, indeed. The contrasting stitching is excellent, really makes the jacket pop and adds visual complexity to the design. Wonder if they would do an E or Highwayman with that sort of stitching?

That said I agree with others, if it's not actually as you specified, consider that carefully.

nick123 likes this.
  7. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

El Marro and JMax like this.
  8. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

How much warmer is Vanson's quilt? Is is a true warm lining or more faux? Curious because I just got bit by a Vansonsquito.

El Marro likes this.
  9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

It’s substantially warmer Nick. Thick and toasty. I could use my model E’s lined that way as legitimate winter jackets.

nick123 likes this.
  10. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Ugh! Used red quilted standard Choppers are abundant online; the cotton ones seem exclusive to TB. The red definitely looks cooler but wouldn't work in California.
    Whatever the case, OP's jacket cannot be topped.

11. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Yeah Nick. What tony said. Eventhough the Chopper quilting is only body, not arms like quilted HArdcore/Ec, it became too stuffy over 75. And I’m a pretty heat tolerant person so I’d imagine others roasting even more. Its the basic white quilting material underneath with a top nylon fabric stitched over.

You could always open up the lining and probably just removed the white batting material. Then have a tailor stitch it closed for a few bucks. Poor mans reline from quilt to just red nylon!

nick123 likes this.
  12. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Deep winter warm. Really warm, survived one entire winter in one.

nick123 likes this.
  13. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

It looks like I’m going against the grain here but I actually find the lining works quite well here in the Bay Area, probably a different story down in Los Angeles though. It is a nice toasty lining on the chilly mornings, but I find I can wear the jacket comfortably once the day has warmed up a bit. For me the real dealbreaker is if there is no wind and the sun is beating down, I find any black leather jacket gets too hot in a hurry. Bad news if you have to take it off and carry it around with you, that’s when you really realize that you’ve got a 9 pound jacket!

14. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Well, I knew I shouldn’t have rolled the dice on just the re-line considering it wasnt my error putting in red quilt instead of black rayon. It arrived today and now has two out of spec inner pocket setups, incorrect lapel snap position ( crazy since they even had me mark it with painters tape), and some stitch holes in the lining. The people taking the specs on order are fine, but then it’s lost in translation when the worker bees actually get to it!

15. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

Vanson should have just made you a new one instead of being cheap and lazy. Their mistakes cost you time and some shipping money so now they have to do a remake.

Guppy likes this.
  16. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Full refund is due.

Guppy and ton312 like this.
  17. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

37E3D9B3-B737-455E-89ED-85D99B021282.jpeg 779F3892-8ADC-44DC-909C-BC966938FEE4.jpeg The pocket thing just pisses me off, besides just being not as specd, it now effects the fit/feel. Instead of the dual low profile pocket zipper setup from the Comet I requested, I got these open pockets with huge cumbersome facings that were stitched on crooked. Like they’re being sucked into the main jacket facing. The leather underneath changes direction now, creating this buldge / combined with the extra pocket blousing equals not good.

18. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

They added two interior pockets you didn’t request?!? Why??! Back it goes. Full refund. No questions asked. That’s just weird man. Like they got another order crossed with yours. No, I wouldn’t be happy with that. Not at all.

Guppy and Carlos840 like this.
  19. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

This looks poor. I’d be...very not happy with that. Never should’ve been boxed/shipped like that.[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

20. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I have mutilated the quote function on par with that pocket.

Guppy, Carlos840 and El Marro like this.