Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cute Vintage-y Shoes

Lily Powers

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
Oh wow! I don t know if I should thank you or be mad at you for posting these! ;)
I just snagged the last pr of size 8s in the brown and white. I really did need a pair of shoes like these. What a steal! Thanks!

Mine just arrived the other day and I actually did a little jump for joy and squeal of delight when I opened the box, so if you got 1/2 the happiness I did from your purchase, then I'll say, "You're welcome!";)

epr25

Practically Family
I am looking for a pair of vintage-y shoes that would be appropriate to go with high waist-ed jeans or pants with a 49er type jacket. I was thinking something like the ones below only closed toe. Or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Leather is not necessary due to snow.

518vCyv8aML._AA280_.jpg

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I got both of these at target
This pair hurts my feet but they are super pretty (and I have wide feet from ballet so if you have smaller feet they will probably be fine)
51TZXHftSbL__AA400_.jpg

And these ones are really comfortable I am a student teacher and I can chase after children so they are great.
51o9uOdLRvL__AA400_.jpg

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Grant Fan said:
This pair hurts my feet but they are super pretty (and I have wide feet from ballet so if you have smaller feet they will probably be fine)

:eek:fftopic:
Does ballet cause feet to grow wider? Because you build up the muscles, or why? :eek: I've only been taking ballet classes for a couple of months, and my feet are already naturally wide enough as they are ... LOL. I would hate not being able to fit into my vintage shoes anymore -- the horror!

I like the blue and brown pair, it's always a very cute colour combination.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I think this new model from Remix is to die for, it's called Beverly, and that grey suede is very appealing and would be so interesting to pair with strong colors, like purple and green.

beverly350.gif

I was wondering if any of you ladies have seen a pair of pair silver oxfords with reasonably high heels (2-3 inches)? I can only ever find silver flats with laces. I'm really obsessed with finding silver oxfords, many of my outfits are missing them.

Silver finish can look a little cheap sometimes and can rub off easily, so I'm looking for something that looks nice and vintage, like for example this finish:

2661954893_ba337ed924_m.jpg

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Just a quickie - I've suddenly found myself obsessed with wanting to buy some saddle shoes BUT, I don't usually go in for the 50's look and stick to 30's & 40's...

My question is: Did pre-50's saddle shoes only have leather soles? Re-Mix have a pair but with red rubber soles, how authentic would these be?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Red (or coral, more accurately) rubber soles were the original style of saddle shoes -- they were introduced around the turn of the century as a gym/athletic shoe. White rubber soles began to show up as a style variation in the late thirties, and remained popular into the early fifties.

Brown-and-white saddles were far more common than black-and-white until the late fifties, although black-and-whites were available as a variation from the mid-thirties on.

Leather soled saddle shoes were actually rather rare -- there were heeled versions made with leather soles during the thirties, but these were far less popular than the rubber-soled styles. The brown-and-white rubber-soled saddle was the definitive casual shoe of the late thirties.

just_me

Practically Family
Thanks for the great info LizzieMaine. I had a pair of beige and brown saddle shoes. I'd love another pair of those.

Saddle shoes in 1937:

cv060737.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
Thank you for this info, LM, and to just_me for the image. Would these be period correct then?

251.jpg

Muffys appear to have a great number of styles, including some leather-soled saddle shoes suitable for dancing....hmm.....no no, i don't need more dance shoes! Has anyone purchased from Muffys?

Aurora

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Red (or coral, more accurately) rubber soles were the original style of saddle shoes -- they were introduced around the turn of the century as a gym/athletic shoe. White rubber soles began to show up as a style variation in the late thirties, and remained popular into the early fifties.

Brown-and-white saddles were far more common than black-and-white until the late fifties, although black-and-whites were available as a variation from the mid-thirties on.

Leather soled saddle shoes were actually rather rare -- there were heeled versions made with leather soles during the thirties, but these were far less popular than the rubber-soled styles. The brown-and-white rubber-soled saddle was the definitive casual shoe of the late thirties.

I was going to say coral, but last time I said it (not on here), I was asked what colour it was :rolleyes:
That's fanatastic though, thank you... Although my bank manager won't be pleased I've found another pair of shoes!! :D Yay, Saddle Shoes!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Muffy's is the best source for saddles, hands down. I've had a pair of their brown-and-whites for years and they seem to be pretty much indestructible -- they wear and wear and wear and wear. They aren't inexpensive, but if you figure the cost by the amount of wear you get out of them, they're a very good value.

Sizes run a half-size large, or they did when I got mine, so keep that in mind when ordering! They also sell by traditional letter width, rather than the modern N-M-W scale, so keep that in mind as well: if you wear "narrow" in modern shoes, go with "A" width, "medium" in modern shoes, you'll want to order B or C width, and if you wear "wide," you'll need to order D width.

Inky's photo is pretty much an exact match for a typical late-thirties style. Some versions had a plain saddle with no perforations, and some were as shown in the photo, but neither was dominant -- you could find either. The only significant difference is that actual thirties shoes sometimes had a seperate rubber heel piece rather than the cut-in-one sole/heel used in the Muffy's styles.

Blondie

Practically Family
I have bought from Muffy's on several occassions,
the fit well, are made well, are period perfect,
and the age well !!!!!!

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I bought my soap and water saddle shoes from Muffy; they are the real deal and wear like iron. She's a nice gal, too. We had a little talk about the rare Bass pink and gray suede saddles of my youth. Sigh. I miss those shoes.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925