Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Czech Republicans: Tonak, Huckel, no name

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Have you got a hat (or more than one) that was made in the Czech Republic? Maybe a Tonak, a Huckel, or a no name? It could be fur felt, or (perish the thought :rolleyes: ) wool. Perhaps your dress-up, or just a beater. It probably came from Burlington Coat Factory, a while back, but it might have had another source. Chances are the "Made in the Czech Republic" tag was removed long ago, but you may remember it.

I'll toss out the first ball with a "Huckel Quality Hat, 100% Fur Felt." Matching grosgrain ribbon and edge binding. 2 3/4' brim (3' in front). 4 1/2" crown. Sweatband looks like "bonded leather."

P1070003.jpg

kiltie

Practically Family
I've got one...

...but I deleted my pic. I'll have to take another tomorrow.
Dark green Huckel from BCF. Fur felt, and a pretty darn good hat, even after some experimenting :eek: .

cookie

I'll Lock Up
JT I bought 2 Hueckels in the 80s at Gowings in my first hat phase and never wore them much. Over the years the sweat stained the felt real bad...maybe damp had some part in it Even after a professional clean it was no much better and a few moths had a go at the brown one to boot. The grey is a beautiful colour and quite a nice but softish felt. I don't know what to do with it now. I still like it for sentimental reasons.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have a black Selentino by Tonak. So far all the pictures are terrible. It just looks like a black blob on my head. Best I could get was to antique this shot.
SelentinoAntiqued.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Not-Bogart13 said:
I have a black Selentino by Tonak. So far all the pictures are terrible. It just looks like a black blob on my head. Best I could get was to antique this shot.
SelentinoAntiqued.jpg

I ran across the Selentino marque, while doing research. I've not seen or touched one. How does it rank? Above the others or about the same?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
An Eastern European, Western hat? Maybe, but it didn't look like a cowboy hat, when I bought it. The brim was distorted, from packing and transport. I finally settled on this shape. The 3 1/4" brim has enough stiffener to hold the shape well. The 5" crown has no stiffener! Fabric sweatband. No markings. Obviously fur, not wool. I do remember removing a paper tag that said, "Made in Czech Republic." Believe it, or not, it feels good on the head!

P1070006.jpg

yoonie

Familiar Face
i've always been under the impression that the eastern bloc was one of the last bastions of quality cold weather menswear- including hats.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Have you got a hat (or more than one) that was made in the Czech Republic? Maybe a Tonak, a Huckel, or a no name? It could be fur felt, or (perish the thought :rolleyes: ) wool. Perhaps your dress-up, or just a beater. It probably came from Burlington Coat Factory, a while back, but it might have had another source. Chances are the "Made in the Czech Republic" tag was removed long ago, but you may remember it.

I'll toss out the first ball with a "Huckel Quality Hat, 100% Fur Felt." Matching grosgrain ribbon and edge binding. 2 3/4' brim (3' in front). 4 1/2" crown. Sweatband looks like "bonded leather."

P1070003.jpg

nice...but what are those dents on the ribbon? [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I do have a Selentino top hat. I got it several years ago when I still thought I was a 6 7/8, but I think if I did it again today I'd go for a 7.
It's a fur felt, not a silk, so I've never been sure when, if ever, was an appropriate time to wear it. But I do like it very much.
I'm trying to smile here, trying not to lean in an excessively Douglasistic direction. Not sure I succeeded.
Selentinotopper.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Wil Tam said:
nice...but what are those dents on the ribbon? [huh]

The tack points, where the cotton thread shrank. (To be honest, my doing, not Tonak's. I took the hat apart, and reduced it to a 7 1/8. That meant the ribbon had to be reattached, as well as the sweatband. One of these days, I might redo the tacks.) :eek:

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
I ran across the Selentino marque, while doing research. I've not seen or touched one. How does it rank? Above the others or about the same?

Well, the only BCF hats I've been near were stiffer than cardboard and almost as coarse as sandpaper. The rest of contact with this range of hats is non-existent.

This hat's felt is very soft, and I would rank it with a Stetson Temple but without stiffener. However, doing a bit of research, there seems to be several quality levels, and mine is at the bottom. Knowing that, I'd like to get my hands on one of their better hats.

BellyTank said:
I would imagine that "Seal Velour" is surely the name of a fur-felt finish.
I wouldn't think seal fur is very felt-able.
Too course to make anything resembling "velour".

?

B
T

That could be the case. Here is an example of vintage Habig (Austrian) Alpine with what I would call seal velour finish. The felt feels / looks like velvet.

3180768094_9d528556bc.jpg

Here is a vintage Hückel to add to the thread.

3241597345_ed76c40fec.jpg

BellyTank said:
Velour- yes. Seal velour- hmmm...

Velour is a common enough name for a velvet-like, nappy finish on a fur felt hat.

T

The velour I posted above has a very velvet like finish (photo is not the best). Stands out from my other velours.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
BellyTank said:
I would imagine that "Seal Velour" is surely the name of a fur-felt finish.
I wouldn't think seal fur is very felt-able.
Too course to make anything resembling "velour".

That's what I thought, but some research proved me wrong: the felt really did come from seal fur.

Not anymore, though: it's illegal and/or looked down on.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well, it must have been from baby seals then- grown-up seal fur has short,
thick, stiff, pointed hairs which remind me of nylon monofilament.
Very strange stuff.
Maybe some kind of downy under fur, or something.

I feel sorry for the Kittens now.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ