Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lol

I bicycled hills for over two hours today. But that doesn't seem to offset the beer and the oxtail sandwich...

I owe you some new boot pics. Where did you decide we are posting boot pics?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
New, improved workbook thread? Interested to see your (or at least a sneak peak of your) lineup

Btw thx for making me crave slow braised meat right before bedtime. :p

regius

After 12 years of waiting, the Terminator 2 jacket arrived

This is the jacket that spurred my interest in leather jacket back in 2000, for the seniors here, this is not a long time ago, but I have been looking for the perfect leather jacket ever since, for financial reasons, I never got around to order a Bates (i only learned it's by Bates seven years ago). The ordering, measurements, just too complex for me. So I spent my time "paying tuition fees" by buying ready to wear jackets off ebay, Schott, Legendary, US Wings, Eastman, Aero etc.
Then, two months ago, I finally decided to have my girlfriend measure me and send out the order. I am so glad my interest in the D pocket asymmetrical jacket hasn't died off, after many disappointments with the Perfectos.

Here it is, it is easily the Perfect Leather Jacket for me, especially the round shoulder line. I chose the pebbled hide, it's thick, medium heavy and yet soft, so I feel like I'm wearing a thick, soft wool sweater. It instantly molds to my body (well, I guess this is due to the custom measurements).
I now am ready to order a T1 jacket from Bates!

E1EDF3D4-654D-418B-AAE7-2ACC07B5EBB5_zpsdxln28xo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
75D78BB4-4D5D-4032-BB67-8B4E0C78BAA1_zpsys7lv30s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Great stuff. I never it was Bates. I saw Logan's Closet selling a Vanson version of this. Congratulations after a long wait.

regius

All three movie jackets are made by Bates. Dan went to Vanson probably because it's cheaper and more leather options, and Vanson allow customized hardwares and more flexible in general. I visited the Vanson factory recently and they have a couple of Logan's stuff hanging there ready to ship, the hardwares are supplied by Dan, and the leather is different from their usual stuff. But hey, Bates is the original, what can I say, no replicator can made a bates better than bates.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
All three movie jackets are made by Bates. Dan went to Vanson probably because it's cheaper and more leather options, and Vanson allow customized hardwares and more flexible in general. I visited the Vanson factory recently and they have a couple of Logan's stuff hanging there ready to ship, the hardwares are supplied by Dan, and the leather is different from their usual stuff. But hey, Bates is the original, what can I say, no replicator can made a bates better than bates.

i believe that there were 24 jackets or thereabouts used in the film...lol but just on the price tags of vanson v bates there isnt that much difference....

Tarwater

Familiar Face
Some great jackets here. I rarely see the D Pocket jackets -- and diagonal zip jackets as a whole -- fully zipped. I know some are made to zip up to the neck, the top of the lapels lining up so the neck line is straight across, yet I had a Schott perfecto (not a d pocket, I know) that when zipped shoved the points of the lapel into the throat. Is this something some companies design in while others opt out or is it more of an afterthought? This might make a difference to some, particularly motorcyclists. Anybody care to post up some pics of some from different makers fully zipped for comparison? Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be a feature most people care about.

ETA: I just ordered a slightly customized Aero J106 through Thurston Bros. All brass hardware, royal stewart lining and no belt. I will post up when it arrives.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Edward. I think the Bootlegger has one of the best looking fronts I've seen in a jacket.

It's a design I love - probably, as much as anything, because it fits my working aesthetic with just a little nod to the Perfecto style...

Some great jackets here. I rarely see the D Pocket jackets -- and diagonal zip jackets as a whole -- fully zipped. I know some are made to zip up to the neck, the top of the lapels lining up so the neck line is straight across, yet I had a Schott perfecto (not a d pocket, I know) that when zipped shoved the points of the lapel into the throat. Is this something some companies design in while others opt out or is it more of an afterthought? This might make a difference to some, particularly motorcyclists. Anybody care to post up some pics of some from different makers fully zipped for comparison? Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be a feature most people care about.

These days, I suspect the vast majority of this style never see the back of a bike, so it's probably a moot point. Even so, it's definitely a sign of a better made jacket that it can be zipped right up and fit well, IMO.

ETA: I just ordered a slightly customized Aero J106 through Thurston Bros. All brass hardware, royal stewart lining and no belt. I will post up when it arrives.

Sounds nice... I've got an early ELC Roadstar which I'm considering selling to part-fund one of those.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Ok so it's a rainy day and can't ride. So I talked my wife into taking a few shots of my 2 D-Pockets. They are both Lost Worlds jackets. The first is the Trojan in black Horsehide and about 5 years old. The second is the J-23 in Russet Horse and brand new. One is broken in and the other has a lot of riding to do. The Russet has longer sleeves purposely made that way for handle bars and in time they will adapt to a shorter look. I showed several shots here front and back with belt and collar and without. Hell I didn't have anything else to do and the wife was ok with it so here they are.

DSC_0003_zps8c94eb29.jpg

DSC_0009_zps7b0f26b4.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsc0361438.jpg

DSC_00252_zps1403af68.jpg

DSC_0026_zps233ce4a8.jpg

DSC_0016_zps8f3105ff.jpg

DSC_0019_zps8e111efd.jpg

DSC_0017_zpsb335275c.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Wilbur I recall seeing your black Trojan LW when I visited your place awhile back, even trying it on, and thinking it would be my riding jacket too if I currently owned a cycle. Congratulations on your latest acquisition. The two jackets complement each other well and can feel your pride. Although it appears to be raining in the background, I detect a great deal of green and think that a fantastic E Tennessee spring is just around the corner for you. Here in N Texas it is sunny with not a cloud in the sky and a high of 72F expected. Unlike you, we could really use some rain though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou