Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D-Pocket leather jackets

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my newly acquired new Lost Worlds Trojan, stock spec, 4oz black horsehide out of their own tannery (world famous, let's see). A quick review:
Despite Stuart's world infamous style, the jackets from them are extremely well made, the seams are perfectly sewn as if they grow together. The color is very even (although this may not be a desirable feature), they black is not shiny, slightly matte, however, it lacks depth. Quite pliable when new, squeaks a little bit, not too much. Grains develop fast upon folding. Due to the thickness, this one would take at least a month of continuous wearing to soften. Stuart hated it when I asked about if the black would show whiteness underneath, my impression was it's completely dyed through, so a scratch would still look black. However, this is grossly false. It's as white as any street black moto leather jackets, looking at the scrap sample you can see layers of black and white. I learned to live with this as this seems to be typical of motorcycle black.

Fit: I have no comparison, but it feels like a strick vintage fit, slanted and narrow shoulders with flanked out waist. I am an athletic physique, so the waist is sticking out for like 4 inches, I wonder if my trusted tailor can alter it. otherwise, it fits like a vintage, no gusset, snug shoulders.

Due to the bigger waist, the halfbelt loses its function of cinching around my waist, so the profile looks bulging out rather than curved along my spine. I am learning to live with this.

Pictures to come.

regius

image_zpsb43291d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Your LW looks great. I had a LW jacket for a bit and the leather is super-thick. I seriously doubt if your local tailor can take the waist in. I would imagine that a special sewing machine would be necessary to work on a thick leather such as this (or any thick leather used by top makers).

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Reg, I think your insanely large collection demanded this fine example of a depression era dpocket (part half belt, part double rider).

regius

Bret, my more recent collection has been focusing on Aero. I bought ad sold a special sunburst Ken made for me himself, a Kudu in extremely luxurious burgundy color. Now I'm working on a black teamster and a brown FQHH sunburst. Also picked up a Legendart USA/Schott Buco repro, the Stallion, a very nice jacket but the horsehide is of those shiny squeaky type, they say it's Italian but I'm not sure. A simply scratch shows the whiteness underneath. Wearing makes it puff up.

feltfan

Nice LW d-pocket.
I decided I like my brown Johnson d-pocket so much I picked up the other, matching one they had
in the same Horween horse, in black. Matching pair for a lot less than one of those shoe leather Aeros.

A better idea of what the leather looks like:

feltfan

Here's the black one, in my usual craptastic photos:

Look carefully at the small pocket in the last picture and you can see the outline of the silver dollar.
I have matching 1922 silver dollars in each of these jackets. From my grandmother- the year of her wedding.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Feltfan, I believe I saw that very same jacket in person when I was in there a few weeks ago. I told Alan about some of the "d-pocket" jackets I'd seen here and he said "we have one on hand" and pulled yours (I assume) up from behind the counter!

Last edited:

feltfan

Could be! I don't think he had any others in stock. Glad they were my size (in fact if not in marking).
I do think he plans to make more. These might have been overstock from
the unnamed Japanese retailer, once the exclusive deal was over.

I find the heavy nylon lining weirdly pleasant. Aside from the thought that
the jacket might never need to be re-lined, this lining, along with the fit,
makes me think of what I have read about some autistic kids who like to be
wrapped up or otherwise swaddled. Something very pleasant about it. Or is that TMI?

Looking forward to seeing how this matte, almost dusty-looking leather burnishes and creases.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Could be! I don't think he had any others in stock. Glad they were my size (in fact if not in marking).
I do think he plans to make more. These might have been overstock from
the unnamed Japanese retailer, once the exclusive deal was over.

I find the heavy nylon lining weirdly pleasant. Aside from the thought that
the jacket might never need to be re-lined, this lining, along with the fit,
makes me think of what I have read about some autistic kids who like to be
wrapped up or otherwise swaddled. Something very pleasant about it. Or is that TMI?

Looking forward to seeing how this matte, almost dusty-looking leather burnishes and creases.

Not sure. But I too like the feeling. I've told past significant others "less lips, more arms" so who knows. Now that is TMI. :)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Here's my aviator made by Mark Fisher (aka Superior Flight Apparel aka Norshor)

330575C5-807C-4ABD-84E1-C6FF73A7B583.jpg

C5552E38-DE29-44F8-AC4A-B51DABEEC23A.jpg

3B257D5D-1354-4964-BB0B-9ECB2B40628B.jpg

feltfan

I was wondering if it was some kind of sealed goatskin. I gotta get me a goatskin jacket some time.
I think I will not buy one for a while, though, since I just bought two.

Mark is getting better and better! Nice.

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thx again, bruthah :) I'm really happy that I got it in this hide; a little different from the norm in this style.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
It's gotten less perfect lately- wished I liked exercise half as much as I love vintage garb (and beer) :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou