Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Date this Tuxedo?

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
I found this at a thrift store for $40 and it's in perfect condition save for looseness of the front button. The pants are fairly skinny and tapered and the whole thing is very heavy weight. The union tag is washed out and illegible. Can anyone give an idea as to when in time it's from?

MVC

Vendor
An answer to your question.

I can tell from your description and the photos that the tux was made from the mid-50's to the mid-60's.
Someday, with some help from here, I may write the book on collectible and classic menswear of the 20th century.

Thanks & Enjoy!

Tom aka MVC

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Another dinner jacket date help...

Thought I might tack on another inquiry.

I look at this jacket and go completely blank. The lapels, and the single button are throwing me. It feels like 40's wool, if that makes any sense. If it was redesigned, they did an amazing job of it.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

The photos didn't come out very well, photographing black isn't my strong suit.

4377089488_d1f37e7f6f.jpg

Thank you,

sincerely,

Sandi

sproily

Practically Family
I'd venture a guess of mid to late 30's and early 40's.

But I don't know much of the average American tux

Beautiful jacket by the way... whats the size? :p

cptjeff

Practically Family
Lorrel Mae said:
Thank you!

It's on the small side.

Chest measures 37" EXACT.

Waist is 34".

23 1/2" sleeves.

28" down center back.

Sandi

If that doesn't fit you, I could always use a perfect tux that I have absolutely no occasion to wear. Though it looks like it would be too drapey for the traditional tux look on me.

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
I had a couple people at Avalon look at the pictures, they say 70's. Apparently the black and white label was used then.

Amazing! It completely fooled me!

It is listed on etsy, if anyone is interested. (can I say that?)

And considering the later date, I'm marking it down. I need a new clutch in my car (and a cv joint) ASAP!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Sandi

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Today, I spoke with Paul.

Sadly, I cannot remember the lady's name, if it was spoken! It wasn't Mary Alice, as she isn't there at all anymore.

Does that help? Or hinder?

Thank you,

Sandi

anon`

One Too Many
Sort of. I ask as I have that particular HSM logo on a suit sporting a 1939 union tag. While it certainly could've been in use in the '70s, it was certainly in use prior to then as well.

I love the Avalon dearly, and Barb almost always has at least one suit of mine at any given time, but some folks down there (Tim especially, and to a lesser extent, Paul) seem to have a tough time with menswear from before the '60s.

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
I know I had a Hart, Schaffner and Marx (?) dated to the 20's (by the VFG, people), that had a black and white label, but it was a much smaller label, as I recall. I'll try to find the label, I swear I photographed it.

Thank you so much, for replying!

Sincerely,

Sandi

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
I am mistaken...

3333642237_7fd66fa068.jpg

This is the label from the early Hart, Schaffner, and Marx tuxedo.

So really, I have nothing to go by, other than word of mouth, or educated guesses.

The too sharp lapels, and the single button, rather ward me away from being 30's, at best.

Then again, who am I to say?

I am just trying to find out!

The quality is there, though, the quality has been there for this type of label throughout their history.

Thank you again, for looking!

Sandi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner