Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating etiquette

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
About half the men who come on to me are married or have a girlfriend. Blech--no thanks!

In my experience, often it is highly attractive women who complain about this problem!

zaika

One Too Many
Doran said:
What's the joke -- I don't get it.

nevermind. pass me a carrot? :p

dhermann1 said:
Heights Players did 3 Penny Opera this year. Its a very odd piece. They had a sort of weak Mac (a very hard role to cast) but some other excellent people. Very odd story, I'm glad I saw it, loved the music, but I couldn't say it's a great piece of theater.
Anyhow, Zaika, I think you're a doll. Why if I weren't about 70 years too old for you . . . why I'd, I'd, I uhhhh . . . I forget.

wow, D, you look GOOD for being a whole century old! what's your secret? ;)

Paisley said:
About half the men who come on to me are married or have a girlfriend. Blech--no thanks!

yeah...what's up with that?

BegintheBeguine

Doran said:
In my experience, often it is highly attractive women who complain about this problem!
You haven't seen any of my husband's girlfriends. From my long years of experience, boyfriends or married men seek the opposite appearance of their significant other when they want to stray.
Here's an etiquette mistake: On one date, he brought his sister.

Dr Doran

BegintheBeguine said:
You haven't seen any of my husband's girlfriends. From my long years of experience, boyfriends or married men seek the opposite appearance of their significant other when they want to stray.
Here's an etiquette mistake: On one date, he brought his sister.

... I guess they want physical variety. If they are married to a pale woman, they want a dark one, etc. It kind of makes sense.

BegintheBeguine

Doran said:
... I guess they want physical variety. If they are married to a pale woman, they want a dark one, etc. It kind of makes sense.
Yes. The more I think about it, they sometimes want other variety. If they are married to a nice gal, they want a sleazy one. I don't mean good or bad. Even some of us good girls are bad sometimes. ;) but not sleazy, skeezy, or skanky.
Another date I was on, he saw a former girlfriend to whom he was still attracted. Thinking about the Socratic method, I asked what he wanted to do. "I want to go and talk to her!" was his answer. I said, "I don't think so." He could do that on his own time. I don't mind a man dating other gals, just not on the same date.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I think that what bothers me the most is people who don't respect your personal space. I can't stand having people I hardly know breathing down my neck.

Also once against my better judgment I gave my number to this really cute guy that worked at the store by my apartment. I had only spoken to him at the store and then at the end of our 1st phone converstion she says "I love you." That was just strange and creepy.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I had a dance partner whom I didn't date, didn't call, didn't flirt with, didn't touch except while dancing, and he said he loved me. Then he tried to look up my skirt. Ewww!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
Yes. The more I think about it, they sometimes want other variety. If they are married to a nice gal, they want a sleazy one. I don't mean good or bad. Even some of us good girls are bad sometimes. ;) but not sleazy, skeezy, or skanky.

I've read that when people stray, they're looking for something they're not getting in their relationship.

Serafina

New in Town
There's nothing quite like...

...the bait and switch.

On a date, many, many years ago, when post dinner my date is driving me home. He asked if we could drop by his apartment to pick something up. He intended to meet up with friends after he dropped me off. Well, let's just say I should have stayed in the car! Animal hands...it was all I could do to get out the door and convince him he still needed to take me home. Oh, did I mention this was the 1st date? Manners, ugh!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I've read that when people stray, they're looking for something they're not getting in their relationship.

When they're cheating, yes. But when they have an open license to do so, this is not the case at all.

Serafina

New in Town
Originally Posted by Paisley
I've read that when people stray, they're looking for something they're not getting in their relationship..

Or something they can't fulfill in themselves! If you aren't happy with you, that's when bad things happen.

BegintheBeguine

Very true. Serafina, your animal hands date reminded me of the same scenario; I blurted out a lie that my brother is a policeman! He believed me and was afraid and let me go. It was the second date. If there had been cellphones then I would have called 911 and gotten a real cop. :mad:

Serafina

New in Town
Mid-fogey said:
...temptress who brings out the animal in a man.

I've often struggled with that. At what point are we supposed to be evolved, intellectual beings that should be able to control our base animal instincts?

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
When they're cheating, yes. But when they have an open license to do so, this is not the case at all.

exactly. it amazes me how up-in-arms people get about open relationships. it's definitely not for everyone, but it has its merits and works really well for some people. to each, their own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner