Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by Liner: A Field Guide

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
This is the first time I've seen this liner. It's on an Open Road Stetson. Age?

yellowstetsonliner.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Nostalgia. You will find a great many Stetson enthusiasts here. And many of the older models are held in high esteem by vintage aficionados and collectors as well. When did your grandfather work there? And what did he do? Do you know?

Nostalgia

New in Town
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the welcome. My Grandfather worked for Stetson from 1920 to 1952. He was involved in the dyeing process. At their peak they sold millions of hats yearly. He was greatly disappointed when most young men stopped wearing them by the mid 1960s. Unfortunately I'm not in possession of one of his fine crafted headwear. Great forum, I enjoy reading about the fashion, cars, films and music from the Golden era.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
He sure was employed there a long time. It would have been great to hear his stories. If you haven't yet read Hat Talk by Debbie Henderson you should do so. In that book the author shares several very interesting interviews with some of the old timers at Stetson and elsewhere. I'll bet you would really enjoy it ... ;)

Nostalgia

New in Town
Thank you for the book recommendation. It will make a great read I'm sure. My Grandfather had a rough time of it in the very beginning due to the bigotry ethnic groups faced when first arriving in America from Europe but soon became good friends with his coworkers. They put in very long hours at the factory, Sundays were the only time he was able to enjoy being with his family. It wasn't uncommon for relatives to receive a Stetson hat at Christmas time until he retired in the early 1950s:)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
At least one of the interviews in the book mentions difficulties and triumphs connected with the immigrant situation in the (hat) factories at that time, as well as the long hours and dedication of the workers.

Check it out. I'm sure it will resonate ... :cool2:

T Rick

Practically Family
I'm off to a good start! My first Stetson arrived today, an eBay find I think I did pretty well on. I know it's newer than most so far covered here, but I hope someone can put me in an aproximate decade of manufacure based on my pics. It's an Open Road (not marked as such on the band, but it is on the tag). Pics:

standard.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Atticus -- I tend to think of that liner as being associated with post-Stetson Stetsons. In other words, probably a liner found in post-1970 Stetsons that were manufactured by Stevens. The liner design is a painted version of the "Last Drop from his Stetson" -- a design that was actually embroidered in vintage Stetson liners.

Cheers,
JtL

OK, well, I have a western Stetson with the embroidered "Last Drop," the liner seam is on the side, it has the black and white keyhole size tag like the one above in Rodkins, and a round Stetson logo that is sideways on the sweatband that says "3X Beaver Quality", it came in an oval box with a leather strap and western scenes on the side of the box, a thin ribbon, the brim is moderatly stiff, the crown is softer. Under the sweatband is the rectangular red and white Philadelphia Stetson paper label with the numer "753" and a smaller red and white Stetson label, rectangular, with the reorder number. I'd post photos but don't seem to be able to, but here is the ebait # you can look it up if so inclined 350434350317. Any speculations as to the age I'd like to hear `em.

Last edited:

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
First of all, 4spurs, congrats! Very, very nice pick-up! Hat looks to be in pristine condition. For thread purposes, this liner obviously spanned many years. I think that your lid, however, can be fairly dated to circa 1950. Enjoy!

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

4spurs

One of the Regulars
JTL, thanks for the estimate re the age of the hat. It's as clean as the day it left Philadelphia and headed to Bryan, Tx where it was sold.

I bid on it because I thought it would be a good hat for a collection, wasn't sure it was my size so I never seriously thought about wearing it.

But don't you know that when I pulled it out of the box and set it on my head it fit like a second skin. So I have no other choice in the matter, I have to wear it. But that ain't a bad thing because it looks a lot better sitting on my head than sitting upside down in the box.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
4spurs -- that is an absolute gem of a Stetson. Congrats!

After conferring with Brother Vic, I have edited my age estimate to "circa 1950" -- just to be clear that there is a very real likelihood that your hat dates to the late 40's.

Cheers,
JtL

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I have posted this on a couple other forums, but then found this one? any idea on the open road I found at a consignment shop last week?
In the photo, the sweat looks black, but it is definately brown!
74978-m-0.jpg

74979-m-0.jpg

74980-m-0.jpg

74982-m-2.jpg

74983-m-0.jpg

The finished product is on my head in my avatar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy