Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Your Hat (A Place to Discuss the Age of Your Vintage Hat)

Kep81

New in Town
Yes, as noted above there’s not much more I can give on age other than it looks like a 60s hat rather than a. 50s hat, but I’m not too deep on Resistols.

The seller, on the other hand. Ha. What did they say, a Stetson 20 quality, one size larger because there was no size standards at the time? A great hat from dad’s collection, always on display? The tall tales continue, buyer beware.
Yes to most of what you said. Good news is, none of that meant much to me. I bought the hat because I liked it. Seller was willing to work with me on the price, so maybe I didn't do too bad. Question is is this a quality hat? Probably should have joined here earlier and did more research, but that's on me. Lesson learned (from you gentlemen). Thank you for the feedback.

Yes to most of what you said. Good news is, none of that meant much to me. I bought the hat because I liked it. Seller was willing to work with me on the price, so maybe I didn't do too bad. Question is is this a quality hat? Probably should have joined here earlier and did more research, but that's on me. Lesson learned (from you gentlemen). Thank you for the feedback.

I think it looks 1960s, but I’m far from sure. Is it a quality hat? Absolutely! Wider brimmed Resistol dress hats are hard to find. These thin ribbon Open Road style hats are a bit more common, but still not common. If you like the style (I do) then I think you will like this hat a lot.

I bought a very nice hat from this seller too. I knew his provenance was all made up he said it was a 1940s hat when it was made in the early 1950s (date stamp on reverse of the sweatband). Looking past his errors and dishonesty, I found a hat I wanted and we came to a fair price. I felt a little sullied for rewarding his dishonest practices, but I really wanted the hat. :)

I was told it's 50s vintage. Any info would be greatly appreciate.
Kep, because of hair cream products most 1950’s hats had a plastic crown protector over the liner crest to keep it from getting soiled. In the 1960’s use of such products was on the decline & the plastic was no longer needed. Going back further in time before plastic there was onion skin & parchment paper like protectors.

Note the plastic crest protector.

1683307971517.png

Kep81

New in Town
I think it looks 1960s, but I’m far from sure. Is it a quality hat? Absolutely! Wider brimmed Resistol dress hats are hard to find. These thin ribbon Open Road style hats are a bit more common, but still not common. If you like the style (I do) then I think you will like this hat a lot.

I bought a very nice hat from this seller too. I knew his provenance was all made up he said it was a 1940s hat when it was made in the early 1950s (date stamp on reverse of the sweatband). Looking past his errors and dishonesty, I found a hat I wanted and we came to a fair price. I felt a little sullied for rewarding his dishonest practices, but I really wanted the hat. :)
Is there even a "Dad"? I won't post what I paid because I'm not sure if that's frowned on, but what would a hat like that be worth to folks in the know?

Is there even a "Dad"? I won't post what I paid because I'm not sure if that's frowned on, but what would a hat like that be worth to folks in the know?

It’s yours now so feel free to divulge as much or as little as you want. No one should care what you paid for it.

As for what it’s worth, that’s a vexed question. Size and condition play a big part. It looks to be in great shape, but I don’t know the size. At this point, it it fits and you like it then it was a good deal for you.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
You got a great hat, no doubt. When you get a second, you’ll have a collection.

As to whether there is a dad, there may be or there may have been, and he may have collected hats. Who knows, so many stories have come out about the seller Sawinokur8083 that it’s hard to know what are inflated opinions and what are outright lies. Most of the quality and size descriptions are questionable at best.

I posted screenshots of hats the seller bought on goodwill and then resold on eBay, listing them as “dad’s collection”. Other members have posted other details, lies, and inconsistencies.

So there‘s that. I guess seeing it all again got me stirred up.

In the meantime, you have a very nice hat and a great start. Add a 40s or 50s Stetson and you’ll be well on your way!

Kep81

New in Town

As to whether there is a dad, there may be or there may have been, and he may have collected hats. Who knows, so many stories have come out about the seller Sawinokur8083 that it’s hard to know what are inflated opinions and what are outright lies. Most of the quality and size descriptions are questionable at best.

I posted screenshots of hats the seller bought on goodwill and then resold on eBay, listing them as “dad’s collection”. Other members have posted other details, lies, and inconsistencies.

In the meantime, you have a very nice hat and a great start. Add a 40s or 50s Stetson and you’ll be well on your way!
I really do appreciate all the info and the heads up. I've dealt with similar situations buying/selling watches. Learn from each interaction and understood that to some it's a hobby, to some it's a passion, and to a few it's just a game. Very glad I decided to join the forum and I look forward to more hats. I'm thinking a Stratoliner is my next target.

Monetlily2

New in Town
Hello everyone. I’m new to this and I recently was inherited a no 1 quality Stetson. I just want to know more about it. Whatever you can tell me would be helpful. I’d love to date it because every man’s name saw “Tom Lea” so I don’t know if it was first, second or third generation. I do believe it was bought by the cowboy artist :) it’s in really nice shape. Probably never worn and at some point the box got wet.

Attachments

• IMG_9549.jpeg
    IMG_9549.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9544.jpeg
    IMG_9544.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9540.jpeg
    IMG_9540.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9529.jpeg
    IMG_9529.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9539.jpeg
    IMG_9539.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9534.jpeg
    IMG_9534.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_9529.jpeg
    IMG_9529.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9535.jpeg
    IMG_9535.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_9536.jpeg
    IMG_9536.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9537.jpeg
    IMG_9537.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello everyone. I’m new to this and I recently was inherited a no 1 quality Stetson. I just want to know more about it. Whatever you can tell me would be helpful. I’d love to date it because every man’s name saw “Tom Lea” so I don’t know if it was first, second or third generation. I do believe it was bought by the cowboy artist :) it’s in really nice shape. Probably never worn and at some point the box got wet.
Looks to be from the 1940s. Obviously it needs to be cleaned up a bit. Very nice hat. the fact it's not the common tan/beige is a real plus.

Monetlily2

New in Town
Looks to be from the 1940s. Obviously it needs to be cleaned up a bit. Very nice hat. the fact it's not the common tan/beige is a real plus.
Yeah it’s dust from us moving it mostly but I’m going to take it to someone that knows what they are doing to fix the water stain. 1940’s is about what I was thinking. It’s a shame that it’s too small for my massive basketball head.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah it’s dust from us moving it mostly but I’m going to take it to someone that knows what they are doing to fix the water stain. 1940’s is about what I was thinking. It’s a shame that it’s too small for my massive basketball head.
Then all it needs is a good brushing. Don't waste your time about the "water stain". It's no big deal. As long as you don't see it on the felt I wouldn't worry. All vintage head liners will look something like that given enough time.

I have a hat with very similar tags etc. that was date stamped 1951. I’d say your hat was 1940s to early 1950s.

IMG_0494.jpeg
IMG_0493.jpeg
IMG_0492.jpeg

One Drop

One of the Regulars

I should have researched this clown here before deciding to buy a hat from him, I contacted him about reshaping a '50s or early '60s Stetson N°1 Quality western hat he was selling to see if there were noticeable creases remaining on the weirdly low telescope crease , a real beauty. We had a productive exchange with lots of emails and texts (on and off eBay), and plenty of Dad and Tony bullcrap, and then he made me an offer for $170.00 reduced from the original $230.00, which I though was reasonable, even with eBay Global shipping at the normal eye-watering cost.

But then after the purchase he mentions his 'Dad' found a '40s Stetson in Silverbelly which he could add to the shipment for $100 more, and possibly a bit more for the shipping. This was a killer deal as the SB was a beauty and actually from the '40s, in great condition, and he reshaped that one as well.

So all was fine and dandy until he started spinning this yarn about eBay shipping, not having my correct address, etc, all leading up to his goal of forcing me into an off-bay sale for the two hats. At this point I just asked him to forget the 2nd one, send me the already paid for one, and be done with it. His response was to cancel the sale outright.

I got a full refund, I doxxed him to eBay by describing his shenanigans in the PMs, and blocked his number and emails, and made sure he knew that I knew exactly what his game was.

Oh well, some people are their own worst enemy. He could have had a stellar reputation and make just as much money by playing with a straight bat, but like most of these borderline conmen he probably can't help himself, just like he can't help with the reams of BS he spouts. Pity, he has some fine hats for sale.

Caveat Emptor !

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I should have researched this clown here before deciding to buy a hat from him, I contacted him about reshaping a '50s or early '60s Stetson N°1 Quality western hat he was selling to see if there were noticeable creases remaining on the weirdly low telescope crease , a real beauty. We had a productive exchange with lots of emails and texts (on and off eBay), and plenty of Dad and Tony bullcrap, and then he made me an offer for $170.00 reduced from the original $230.00, which I though was reasonable, even with eBay Global shipping at the normal eye-watering cost.

But then after the purchase he mentions his 'Dad' found a '40s Stetson in Silverbelly which he could add to the shipment for $100 more, and possibly a bit more for the shipping. This was a killer deal as the SB was a beauty and actually from the '40s, in great condition, and he reshaped that one as well.

So all was fine and dandy until he started spinning this yarn about eBay shipping, not having my correct address, etc, all leading up to his goal of forcing me into an off-bay sale for the two hats. At this point I just asked him to forget the 2nd one, send me the already paid for one, and be done with it. His response was to cancel the sale outright.

I got a full refund, I doxxed him to eBay by describing his shenanigans in the PMs, and blocked his number and emails, and made sure he knew that I knew exactly what his game was.

Oh well, some people are their own worst enemy. He could have had a stellar reputation and make just as much money by playing with a straight bat, but like most of these borderline conmen he probably can't help himself, just like he can't help with the reams of BS he spouts. Pity, he has some fine hats for sale.

Caveat Emptor !
Wow.

I had just about decided to steer clear of that seller on the Bay but now you’ve completely convinced me. He does offer some nice looking hats, but why all the drama?

I think you might be right and he just can’t help himself.

Good to hear that you got your money back. That guy really gets my dander up!

hambone71

Practically Family
Wow.

I had just about decided to steer clear of that seller on the Bay but now you’ve completely convinced me. He does offer some nice looking hats, but why all the drama?

I think you might be right and he just can’t help himself.

Good to hear that you got your money back. That guy really gets my dander up!
There is a nice gray vintage open road for sale on poshmark right now. The size tag is missing but according to the sellers inner circumference measurement, it is 21". That Scott guy is begging the seller to lift up the liner and find him a size tag so he can figure out if it will fit his "grandson". She's done it a couple times to appease him but she Still hasn't found another tag indicating size. This has been going on for weeks. And we all know he's setting her up to get that hat cheap so he can resell it for a 150-200% margin.

https://poshmark.com/listing/1950s-...-Stetson-Beaver-Felt-649b264a4bd7602198db805e

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
There is a nice gray vintage open road for sale on poshmark right now. The size tag is missing but according to the sellers inner circumference measurement, it is 21". That Scott guy is begging the seller to lift up the liner and find him a size tag so he can figure out if it will fit his "grandson". She's done it a couple times to appease him but she Still hasn't found another tag indicating size. This has been going on for weeks. And we all know he's setting her up to get that hat cheap so he can resell it for a 150-200% margin.

https://poshmark.com/listing/1950s-...-Stetson-Beaver-Felt-649b264a4bd7602198db805e
Unbelievable. I feel dirty just reading that garbage. I wish eBay had a “block” function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner