Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daytime face vs Nighttime face?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Before my venture into more vintage style make-up, there was a huge difference between my day time, every day look and my going out look. Daytime look was very natural and light, no foundation, pink lippy, ect. In my exploring of vintage make-up, I haven't found much difference in daytime and nighttime looks. My avatar is my current look, although the lippy changes frequently. However, I constantly have people asking me where I'm going or if it's a special day. The only difference recently is that I found my lost eye lash curler. When I started curling my lashes again is when people started asking me questions. So, ladies, the first question is, and be honest, does my look scream "special occasion"? The second is: do you have a daytime and nighttime look and how are they different? Thanks!

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I always feel dressed up whenever I put on lipstick, maybe just because I hardly ever wear it (I'm a colored gloss gal). Your look (gorgeous!) says "dressy" to me but in a good way--as in, "I wish I could look that good in bold lipstick!", not as in "where does she think she's going?" lol

For night, I usually really dig into the eye makeup. I'll do a smoky eye with this hematite grey eye shadow and do major lashes. If I didn't have my eyelash curler I would curl up in the fetal position and not leave home.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Well, I don't know if you are asking the right people, in the sense that I think your current look can be construed as vintage daytime or nighttime.

My thought on it though, is maybe a more vintage "daytime" look would be a less dark red lippy. Still red though if you like red.

As for my daytime and nighttime, they are very different.

Daytime: nude/pink lippy or a lighter/fleshier red lippy if I am going somewhere nice in the day. eye concealer and light foundation, and a pale pink on the lids. occasionally I'll do mascara.

Nighttime: red lippy, eye concealer, foundation, rouge, eyeshadow, liner, & mascara.

I am seriously coveting your look right now.. day or night! I think it's perfect!:D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Well, this lippy is from a sample. I haven't decided if I like it for daytime wear. I'm beginning to think that maybe it's the lippy that inspired all the comments today.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I am constantly over-dressed, either in face, clothes or both. To many dresses, to few occations! Sometimes, I put on a really nice dress an bright, red lipstick and my man puts on his fancy suit, to go down to the pub and meet friends dressed in jeans and sloppy t-shirts. We just say that a casual dress code means to dress in somthing you are comfortable in, and we just happens to be very comfortable all dressed up!

I say, don't care. Just weat what you like on your face, even if people think you look like you have an "occation", I'm sure they think you look great. And the thing is, making up a "nude", "oh, I just woke up looking like this"-face take more time than putting on a nice, red lippy.

And I think your lovely look says "classy, together and beatiful". You don't look like a surf girl or playboy model, (like so many modern girls with spider-web lashes and pink gloss does to me,) you look like a lady. Nothing wrong with that!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I would say that it may be the deepness of the red in the lipstick. It could also be that I think it's pretty common for people to assume that it's a special occasion or you're going somewhere when you're dressed vintage/nicely.

For me, my day look is a bronze eyeshadow and a slightly lighter/more glossy lipstick. My night or special occasion look is usually black eyeliner and red lipstick. I hope that helps!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
This pic is a re-post,but belongs here as well.
My daytime makeup look is inspired by Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz.
It consists of:
concealer
light mineral powder
auburn eyeshadow for brows
light coppery brown shadow for lower lid
almond shadow for upper
black lengthening mascara
coral blush(use a light hand for application)
coral red lipstick with a nude gloss over-lay to tone it down.
47b7cc24b3127cceb1113529e82700000025109AbOXLFk0bS

For evening the ritual is similar,but I add black eyeliner,fake lashes,and a brighter or deeper shade of red.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Are you kidding me, you look smashing! But I agree, its prob the shade of lippy that is getting the comments, the people you work with/friends/ etc aren't use to it, so they ask the questions. After discovering vintage and becoming more feminine at work (in a basically male world) where its a jean and t-shirt world where I may do a semi vintage inspired hair do or what not and I have started to where make up, at least do my eyes, if I wear a color they are not used to I get comments on it all day! So basically what I am saying is, your friends and people around you notice changes in you makeup and comment on them thinking your dressed up, but if you like the look stay with it, they'll get used to it.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I think you look adorable. I think we have similar coloring and I understand the second guessing yourself. I tend to reserve my more blue toned/deeper reds (lipsticks) in the day to if I am wearing black or a very strong color. If I am wearing something mid-toned or pale near my face, then I dial it back a notch and use something more pink or even and orange-y red lipcolor. I think your eyes look totally appropriate. I'm a fan of a strong eyeliner myself with very light eyelid color during the day. I definitely reserve my "smokey" eye looks to the evenings, perhaps because I feel more made up then.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
I think you look adorable. I think we have similar coloring and I understand the second guessing yourself. I tend to reserve my more blue toned/deeper reds (lipsticks) in the day to if I am wearing black or a very strong color. If I am wearing something mid-toned or pale near my face, then I dial it back a notch and use something more pink or even and orange-y red lipcolor. I think your eyes look totally appropriate. I'm a fan of a strong eyeliner myself with very light eyelid color during the day. I definitely reserve my "smokey" eye looks to the evenings, perhaps because I feel more made up then.

I agree.Good rule of thumb.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I usually don't wear bright red lipstick to work, or I wear a more sheer color. If I do wear red during the day, I go very light on the eye makeup. For evening wear, I will add black eyeliner and fake eyelashes.

Feathers

Familiar Face
Kamikat you look faaabulous!:whistling

Black eyeliner and mascara day & night. No lipcolor during the day if not a sheer gloss. Sometimes I wear red at night - I'm still getting used to the 'real' reds...I'm used to wearing more of a berry color. But my husband loves the red so heck! I'm also going to try the false eyelashes on New Year's/my birthday. Wish me luck!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm not very knowledgeable about makeup, so my day and nighttime looks are pretty much the same! Blush, powder, concealer under the eyes (sometimes), occasionally a subtle shimmery eyeshadow, mascara and bright red lipstick are the norm for me.

I'll sometimes throw in liquid eyeliner for day or night. The only difference is that I'll occasionally wear a deeper or darker red lipstick in the evening.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Kamikat,
I like the look, and the lippy is a great red. I agree with the other girls that said that it is the bold red spawning the comments. My makeup changes only slightly day to night. I am a makeup girl...I wear foundation, shadow, black liner and blush daily. My lippy I change up a little bit day to night. If I wear red during the day, I tend to keep it sheerer with a neutral liner. I do like a reddish lipstain for day also (vincent longo--cupid's breath). For evening, I will add a red liner and a deeper stronger color.

satindoll

New in Town
Hi Kamikat
You look fabulous and I love the lip color. It's definitely a more polished, glamorous look and if people aren't used to seeing you that way they're bound to make comments until they get used to the new you!

I never step out my door to even visit the supermarket without at least some red lipstick on, color depends on outfit I'm wearing. Plus a little concealer and blush. For night I add eye makeup, sparingly, if I want to go with a deeper red lip color, so I don't look overly made up.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
The people around you will get used to the bold lips, if you continue them - you'll probably continue to get the question at the supermarket and bookstore, that sort of thing. It is a rare day that I leave the house without a bold red lipstick (or equally bold alternate color, like Mac's Sobe.) Of course, I'm in skirts at least nine days of ten. People who know me don't ask, they know I'm just going to the grocery store, shopping with friends, or estate saling.

I keep my eyes darkly lined, but with minimal make-up for the day though, just light shadow, similar to rubyredlocks.

If YOU are comfortable with your look, who cares if it says "dressy" during the day. After all, we're all a little odd here, aren't we? That's part of the fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred