Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daywear

MissHannah

One Too Many
I can see I my have to start shopping in the high street again... it's been a while. Actually that's a fib - I've been into Oasis and they have some fab cardi's and knitwear generally this year.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
Really?! I am jealous! In the last 6 years or so I haven't been able to find anything that was high-waisted, especially not in H&M - it all seems to be designed to hang somewhere off the top of my butt-cheeks!! Everything is cut straight too, so it doesn't go in at the waistband at all - drives me nuts! I do like H&M for basic sweaters and shirts though.

That particular one I'm referring to was bought about a year ago though but I've come across high waisted items quite often since they were in fashion at some point. I usually find items like that in the smarter section of H&M as opposed to the trend section. I've got some high waisted skirts from Next too. I actually hadn't been high street shopping in about 3 months but popped into H&M the other day and got a fantastic very full black swing skirt with a high waist which authentically falls to the calf. I also got some cute cardigans and puff sleeved shirts for work.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I have a really, really stupid question. Really stupid. And I didn't know where to put it so have bumped my original thread.

I have cardigans to wear with skirts and trousers but what should I wear under the cardigan? At the moment I mostly wear singlet type vests, but these aren't exactly "period" and are also a little skimpy to hide a sturdy great bullet bra.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I either wear blouses (collars look cute poking over the cardi) or a round neck or slash neck fitted sweater, depending on how cold it is of course.

I have trouble with the high waisted things because my waist is tiny in comparison to my massive hips. A 10 doesn't go over my hips but a 12 is too big around my waist :(

I love them too, they do a great job of hiding my love of cake :D

Anyone have any recommendations for well fitting high waisted clothes? Or am I just going to have to make my own *lazy*

Smuterella

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
I either wear blouses (collars look cute poking over the cardi) or a round neck or slash neck fitted sweater, depending on how cold it is of course.

blouses = more things to buy

:D

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Smuterella said:
I have a really, really stupid question. Really stupid. And I didn't know where to put it so have bumped my original thread.

I have cardigans to wear with skirts and trousers but what should I wear under the cardigan? At the moment I mostly wear singlet type vests, but these aren't exactly "period" and are also a little skimpy to hide a sturdy great bullet bra.

Not stupid at all! I wear cardigans a lot, too, so I've invested in a load of short sleeved cotton tricot camisoles like this one. Sooo comfortable and easy to wash :)

...erm, unless you want to wear the cardigan unbuttoned. In that case I would wear a blouse or a neutral matching t-shirt.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
I LOVE cardigans--I normally wear a blouse like Hannah, or I'll wear tank tops and camisoles that have pretty details or patterns.

Dolly, I have the same problem. I'm a size larger in the hip and thigh area than in my waist/rib cage. Unfortunately, I've just found that I can't order anything online, because I need to try on bottoms. Unless you're willing to make your own, I've also had luck buying things that fit my hips and then taking them in in the waist with darts. Every pencil skirt I've bought has needed that alteration (and I also did it with a pair of jeans). As long as the difference isn't massive, it usually does the trick.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have the exact same problem with the old waist to hips ratio.

BTW One of my work friends just bought the pencil skirt with the buttons from DollyDagger and managed to take the waist in by just moving the row of buttons over at the top and it worked!

Might be worth a try for some of you ladies that fancy an easy sewing challenge!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Well I too have a 13" difference between waist and hips, so even the repro brands can still be a wee bit baggy at the waist. Dolly, go and invest in a bunch of stuff from the eBay store TopRunWay. It's a reasonably affordable way to get a wardrobe full of custom made items. You would be paying slightly more than for a high street item, but not vastly so. In fact 'd venture that her pencil skirts are cheaper than most. And if you can draw or find a picture, you can get that made...not necessarily identical, but always good enough.

epr25

Practically Family
What about Target. They have a ton of super cut things there this season. Very vintage inspired and reasonable.

31nKYh1Y2wL._AA354_.jpg

31bHsuDwT0L._AA262_.jpg

417BaEe1ZvL._AA262_.jpg
[

IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RL3XKvoUL._SS384_.jpg[/IMG]

417tbP4-eaL._AA262_.jpg

Ah thanks for the advice ladies!! I'm just so lazy when it comes to making things these days!!

I have no problem with dresses as I like the 50's style and find that they always fit quite well (as well as cover up my hips/bum), I just want a nice pair of high waisted trousers for general wear. Bah!!!

I shall check out the sites you mentioned, after all, I did extra work last weekend & got paid today, woot!!!

Those dresses above are great, I likes them yus!!!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Wow, I always had the opposite hip/waist problem. I find the repro lines to be too baggy in the waist, while the vintage ones are fitted in the waist and still ample in the hips. That makes more sense to me, since cinching foundation garments were more popular in that day. Maybe it's just because I get the teeny-tiny clothes that no one is supposed to fit into these days (the reason I always get my vintage so cheap...)? I have a 23-inch waist and 35-inch hips. The fit is the reason I always prefer vintage over repro.

My new job requires 8-9 hours on my feet all day...but since I work at Buffalo Exchange, looking fashionable everyday is actually part of the job requirements. I HAVE to wear sneakers everyday. I've even tried wearing Dr. Scholl's insoles inside of a pair of mary janes when I had a meager 4-hour shift...but even that was torture! Maybe I'll try it again in a few weeks. Even when I wear my sneakers, my feet are sore at the end of the day.

Wearing sneakers means matching my ensemble to my shoes. Toughie! I'm pretty picky about sneakers these days. I used to insist on Keds and Converse, but I just sold my high-tops (they didn't match anything!), and Keds don't really breathe. I snagged these Pumas on Ebay:
e5a6_1.JPG

They're great, because they match both earth tones and brights.

Soon I'll be able to wear my Grasshoppers, a kind of vintage-friendly Keds that offer much more support than the regular ones. Mine are a nautical design with a slight wedge at the heel.

I usually wear them with a pair of cuffed designer jeans (I get those for cheap, too!) and a nice tee or blouse. Sometimes I can wear a cool 50's novelty skirt instead of jeans, but they like to blast the air conditioning here sometimes, so pants are usually the best option until summer/warmer spring. Sometimes I'll wear my high-waisted denim shorts with opaque tights for a vintage look with a modern twist. I don't tend to stay period-correct in my daily outfits, anyway.

Unfortunately, this outfit is kind of boring. Fortunately, the blah ensemble leaves a lot of room for accessorizing -- one thing that really works on my job. I like to do my hair fairly elaborately, but not anything that needs to be fixed every hour. Updos are the best. Add some flowers or vintage barettes to that, and you've got yourself a great, polished look.

I'm a necklace girl, so an interesting necklace (vintage or not) is the key to my look. I wear flamboyant (but tasteful) pieces. Nothing too fancy, since there is still potential for things to get lost or damaged on the job.

MissHannah

One Too Many
dollydaydream said:
Ah thanks for the advice ladies!! I'm just so lazy when it comes to making things these days!!

I have no problem with dresses as I like the 50's style and find that they always fit quite well (as well as cover up my hips/bum), I just want a nice pair of high waisted trousers for general wear. Bah!!!

Have you tried vivien of holloway's trousers? I don't know what her waist to hip ratio allows for but she works from vintage patterns which are usually curvier. I have a 12-13 inch difference between my waist and hips and her stuff is a pretty good fit on me.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:
Well I too have a 13" difference between waist and hips, so even the repro brands can still be a wee bit baggy at the waist. Dolly, go and invest in a bunch of stuff from the eBay store TopRunWay. It's a reasonably affordable way to get a wardrobe full of custom made items. You would be paying slightly more than for a high street item, but not vastly so. In fact 'd venture that her pencil skirts are cheaper than most. And if you can draw or find a picture, you can get that made...not necessarily identical, but always good enough.

I can't seem to find this eBay store :(

Sunny

One Too Many
gluegungeisha said:
Wow, I always had the opposite hip/waist problem. I find the repro lines to be too baggy in the waist, while the vintage ones are fitted in the waist and still ample in the hips.
You are so right about that! Sewing patterns actually fit the waist measurement of the size, and have 10"+ more in the hip, even for the slimmer 1940s and late 1930s patterns I've used. They're designed to look slim while allowing for both curvy and slim figures. Repros really are still designed to "fit" the waif-like figure, in other words assuming slim hips and an unconfined waist, while modern sewing patterns include so much ease that most garments come out baggy and sloppy-looking. I still haven't gotten over the Simplicity 1950s retro that had 1.5" of ease for the waist.

I think at the bottom (heh) women today are simply unprepared to have clothes fit snugly without massive lyrca content. If clothes were to fit at the waist, women would find them uncomfortable or complain about the sizes being too small. That's sad, because I find that a truly fitted waist does wonders for a trim and retro look. I've got generous and fairly high hips, so even a loose-fitting skirt won't get very far on its way to the floor. But if the waist really is even only 1" too big, it sags and droops and really looks sad.

TessTrueheart

TopRunWay

Fleur De Guerre said:

Oh, I've been considering buying something from this seller. Fleur (or any one else who has had clothes made by TopRunWay), would you consider showing us what you have bought from them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou