Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
I'd forgotten how much fun this bit of nonsense was. It was on again and I sat there chuckling at Steve, drooling over Rachel, lusting at the hats (or were those last two the other way around?) and generally having a good time with it all. What a tour de force! It's impressive when something pays homage to a Noir and does it in such a positive, entertaining manner. It's easy to forget how talented Mr. Martin is. And, it's sad to think how good we all could look if we still (as a culture) dressed like that! Jeez...even the NAZI'S looked good!!!

Let's see...if instead of the swastika on those uniforms they had worn...say, a Happy Face!!! Well, I guess then it would have been written by Mel Brooks instead of Carl Reiner...and Cloris Leachman (sporting big conical boobs, aka High anxiety) would have been in it instead of Rachel Ward...and it would have been called, "Dead Men Don't Wear Zoots!" or something! Well, now you can see why Hollywood hasn't tapped me for any screenplays lately!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's a classic for sure. The way the old black and white film was blended with the new footage was a stroke of genius. I wonder if anyone will ever attempt something similar with a different genre of film? :D

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
It was shown after 'Murder My Sweet' (1944). Moose sure wore some nasty-looking plaid suits.

Did anyone else stay up even later and catch Neil Simon's 'The Cheap Detective?' It spoofed Casablanca, Maltese Falcon...even Chinatown.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
Moose was kind of a spoof on himself. An action kind of guy!

Let's see...we can't count "What's Up Tiger Lily" (Woody Allen) cause it was just a re-dubbed Japanese action movie...but "Forest Gump" used cut-ins from past media sources to have Tom Hanks interact with LBJ, JFK, RMN, etc. But they didn't build the movie around it like DMDWP did.

And Rachel Ward wasn't in it...so there you have it! No comparrison!

PS: I wonder how many takes it took to do the "adjustment" scene after Rachel fainted.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I saw it when it came out in the theater. Absolutely amazing the way the seamlessly put new footage with old, and matched dialogue. If you ever get a chance to see it on big screen, JUMP at the chance. It's a marvelous experience, and all the funnier.lol

Regards! Michaelson

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
I thought WA's first film was "What's Up Tiger Lily?" If so, then he started with the re-dub bit and went from there.

Woody does have talent. Though as much as I respect that talent (and I call only a few of his movies brilliant) the "man" gives me the CREEPS.

If I were to make him a character to fit into an inbred circle of cats from something like, say, "Chinatown," Woody would be the weird twisted little son of John Huston, brother to Faye...passing on the father's sickness to his own daughter...Yeeeuuuccchhhhhh! I guess it's easy to play real life.

Like I said...creepy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany