Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dean Martin - Forever Cool

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I love, love, love Dean and actually have a large framed poster of him in my office (next to my Marx Brothers Poster). That being said, I will not be picking this album up because while many of the other artists are very talented, I will not have Dean sullied by being mixed with someone else. If he made this while living, it may be a different story. As it is, this album is not for me. I own over 80 Sinatra/Martin/Davis/Ratpack albums and Sinatra Duets is not part of the collection, either. Yes, I know the Duets albums were made while Frank was alive, but they are still terrible. Just my opinion.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
BJBAmerica said:
Well, my wife picked me up a copy of Dean Martin - Forever Cool, and with only a few exceptions, the disc sounds great.
The real stand-out track for me is one called "Baby-O" which features an artist I'm not familiar with, Paris Bennett, but she really suits the song and Dino's style to a "T". I'd give this a Solid "Thumbs Up" rating!!

Hey thanks for the review, BJB. I haven't heard or seen this new CD, but I think I can shed some light on who Paris Bennett is. There was a Paris Bennett on last years American Idol, very young and talented. Never thought of her creating a duet with Dino. But from what I remember she probably can pull it off. Now I have to hear this CD, just to listen to that track.

I am not a fan of "Duet" albums. Sinatra's Duet two albums were 'baad'.
Ray Charles and Tony Bennett's recent duet attempts were better.

Not even going to mention that gal from Brooklyn's 2002 Duet album, though her track Cryin' Time with Ray Charles was outstanding. Just for the record she started out her career wearing vintage style clothing and singing songs from the 30's and 40's. Her first big hit was 'Happy Days Are Here Again'.

As for Dino, he's the man, always understated and cool to the max!!
You mention an acapella version of "Brahams' Lullaby", sounds a lot like the stuff he had on his album, Sleep Warm. An very 'easy listen'.

ClayBob

New in Town
Dean Martin was so cool. No dobut my favorite member of the rat pack. He had such a good voice and good songs. I love him.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Right now I'm listening to Rat Pack Live on XM 50's.

"What's a Wopsicle?"

"It's a pizza on a stick."

So much of their banter would be forbidden today.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I have the live album that bit is from, it is very good. I actually listened to it earlier today, at work. Yes, MUCH of their "comedy" routines would be looked on very unfavorably today.

Feraud

Bartender
PrettySquareGal said:
Right now I'm listening to Rat Pack Live on XM 50's.

"What's a Wopsicle?"

"It's a pizza on a stick."

So much of their banter would be forbidden today.
I just listened to this today too :)

Let us all sit back and enjoy the time when cool was real and not branded by some corporation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner