Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding where to draw the line

I agree that experiences give me much more pleasure than possessions. My hat hobby hasn’t come at the expense of anything more important.

What you call shopping I call “the hunt.” I like finding the deals and the unusual. Finding an 80 year old gem is very satisfying. It’s also great to commission a custom hat and start a new hat on its 100+ year journey.

I also feel completely different than you on vintage items. For me, the fact that an item’s story predates me doesn’t bother me at all. I’ll add my marks and at some point someone else will assume ownership. It’s part of its appeal to me: being part of the history of a quality item that 70-100 years later are still going strong. I much prefer vintage over new, and in hats you also usually get a much better item when you go vintage.

I do enjoy that unlike so many other subjects of collection, hats can be worn and put to use. It’s not something hidden away that no one gets to see. It’s also a very tactile experience: vintage felt is fantastic stuff.
I agree very much with Brent here. As the experience in finding vintage hats and sharing them here has been rewarding. It has helped me tremendously... especially during this past year. I will say though... just a short while ago I might have been somewhat in line with Wonky’s thinking. Thoughts like... “well I have one or two grey hats... I sure don’t need anymore grey hats with black ribbons” Or “one black hat is more than enough”. I suppose those boundaries fall by the wayside in exchange for new self imposed boundaries that may or may not be adhered to.

I agree very much with Brent here. As the experience in finding vintage hats and sharing them here has been rewarding. It has helped me tremendously... especially during this past year. I will say though... just a short while ago I might have been somewhat in line with Wonky’s thinking. Thoughts like... “well I have one or two grey hats... I sure don’t need anymore grey hats with black ribbons” Or “one black hat is more than enough”. I suppose those boundaries fall by the wayside in exchange for new self imposed boundaries that may or may not be adhered to.

Gray hats with black ribbons? Well, you need:

One Stetson, one Borsalino, one Mallory, one Knox, one Dobbs, preferably a Cavanagh, a Resistol, and a few smaller brands to complete the set.

Under each of those manufacturers, you need at least one in each quality level (e.g., a 3X, a Royal, and a Royal Deluxe for Stetson; a Mallory Ten, Fifteen, etc.).

Then there are the features - Mode Edge, Selve-Edge, longhair, Custom Edge, does it have a wind trolley? Sharksgill vs. regular bow, varying brim widths and crown heights. Bound edges and raw edges.

That's a good start on gray with black ribbon. Now, the browns...

One Stetson, one Borsalino, one Mallory, one Knox, one Dobbs, preferably a Cavanagh, a Resistol, and a few smaller brands to complete the set.

Under each of those manufacturers, you need at least one in each quality level (e.g., a 3X, a Royal, and a Royal Deluxe for Stetson; a Mallory Ten, Fifteen, etc.).

Then there are the features - Mode Edge, Selve-Edge, longhair, Custom Edge, does it have a wind trolley? Sharksgill vs. regular bow, varying brim widths and crown heights. Bound edges and raw edges.

Which shade of Gray were you talking about? :)

dkstott

Practically Family
I'm in the only enough hats to serve a purpose camp. I found a style / model that I liked and bought it in other colors.

Stetson Roadster in walnut & sage green is my daily hat of choice. I did remove the leather hat band on them and replaced it with a 1 inch ribbon.

Akubra Banjo Patterson is my hiking, yard work hat.

Newly purchased Scala Panama hat is going to be worn on really hot days.

My one beaver felt Stetson Pinnacle hat is relegated to cooler weather.

Last edited:

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
I'm in the only enough hats to serve a purpose camp. I found a style / model that I liked and bought it in other colors.

Stetson Roadster in walnut & sage green is my daily hat of choice. I did remove the leather hat band on them and replaced it with a 1 inch ribbon.

Akubra Banjo Patterson is my hiking, yard work hat.

Newly purchased Scala Panama hat is gojng worn on really hot days.

My one beaver felt Stetson Pinnacle hat is relegated to cooler weather.

Finally! A kindred spirit. :D

When I want a new hat I go upstairs or downstairs and “discover” something I haven’t seen in months. One big plus is I liked them all enough to buy at some point!

Which shade of Gray were you talking about? :)

all of these things :D

Y'know, I tried visualizing it, but it quickly started to look like one of those boards where the crazy person is linking everything together on the wall with pins and string, and I''m not a crazy person.

I know that because the voices in my head tell me I'm OK.
Actual footage....

56A3DD23-5EE4-4AD8-A4FD-2A974B90FE99.gif

Edward

Bartender
If I could have only one modern, production hat it would be an Akubra Campdraft. It comes open crown and you can bash it a dozen ways and it looks good in all of them. It has enough brim to block sun, but not so much you can’t wear it to town. It stands up to rain and it’s cheap enough you don’t have to baby it.

Great hat. For me, it would be the Fed; the one thing I wish I could add to the Fed per standard design would probably be a wind trolley. My dream on that front would be if Akubra did - maybe for a small upcharge - a custom option for the Fed where you could have options of a different colour ribbon and brim binding. I could see buying more than one of each colour body then. Mid brown with olive green ribbon and binding, Carbon grey with navy, moonstone with oxblood..... oh, my [/George Takei voice]

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
...and I reach my first dilemma, and one of the catalysts for starting this thread. I've seen a panama hat on sale. Certainly too wide a brim for out and about for me for the reasons mentioned above, but great as a dressy sun hat for summer functions. Will that be one too many? Do I want to only use the safari as a rain hat? Undecided ... but as it's on sale, I need to make my mind up sooon... :confused:

I decided not to bite on the Panama. Maybe it's something I'll revisit later, but for now, I threw the money at some trousers and shirts instead.

I did receive the Christy's fur felt I was waiting for though. That finishes off another set of three.

RZ0bVPLt.jpg
yMx1YwEt.jpg
CHJKD4Qt.jpg

So...

Rain hats - Done!
Felts - Done!
Sun hats - Paused. Array needs testing for weaknesses.
Winter hats - Work in progress

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
A few decent looking and affordable hats crossed my radar recently, and I proudly refrained on all of them. I'm feeling really quite content with my humble array at present.

All the sun hats, brimmed and peaked, have all been tested over the last couple of weeks, and I've no complaints with any of them. They've also all been subject to bumps or drops, and other "life events", which would have me cringing if I was wearing a straw, or anything else a little more delicate. No damage, no wincing, just a quick dust off, and carry on as before. Perfect.

The nubuck safari is still yet to receive a coat of oil, on account of me not being anywhere that sells it yet, so that hat hasn't had its maiden voyage in the rain yet. The cotton safari is doubling us for rain and shine, when a wider brim is needed. The other hat that hasn't been worn "in anger" yet, is the new Christie. It's not exactly been black felt weather. Having said that, the temps have certainly been cooler in the last few days. As for winter hats, the picking have been understandably slim for this time of year. I'll revisit that later in the year

I think my rather "settled status" is going to leave me a little light on things to say/share for a while, but I'll continue to hover in the background, and admire what's being worn by others.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
I just hope that whatever you’re infected with isn’t contagious.

I think it was imprinted in my DNA at birth.

I had a biker jacket many (30+) years ago, but outgrew that, and gave it to my brother. I think I bought this current box jacket between 15 to 20 years ago, and it still goes around my steadily expanding "hunch front". Then again, it's very rarely fastened. I've had to repair pockets a couple of times, but otherwise, no issues.

Buying a second leather jacket, would just mean I only get to wear this faithful companion half as much as I do now. Where's the fun in that?

When I finally get around to buying a bottle of neatsfoot oil for treating the nubuck safari, I think I'll treat the jacket to a wipe down with it too.

WonkyBloke

One of the Regulars
The nubuck safari finally got oiled today.

IMG_20210625_192609_edit.jpg

Big difference from new.

IMG_20210514_115851_edit.jpg

I'll give it a few days to soak in, then decide if it needs a second coat or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko