Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciphering estate auction ads and terms

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
We've read the articles on deciphering job and real estate ads. For example, we all know that "cute" can mean cramped and small, or "handyman's dream" can be "condemned."

I've been around the auction block, and would like to share some of my own observations about how some terms have been abused:

Vintage country smalls- Yesterday's gifts no one wants today, like tacky baubles and doodads, and I mean yesterday.

Vintage costume jewelry- Mardi Grass beads from 1997.

Vintage linens- Used diapers, stained hotel sheets.

Important auction- Important to the auctioneers.

Dusty attic items- Items in boxes with rat poop, spiders and other horrors.

Do you have any advice or experiences with shifty auction ads?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just needs a little mechanical adjustment = plan on spending a fortune in parts.

The family tells me this belonged to Daniel Boone = The family is on crack.

I've never seen one of these before = the auctioneer is on crack.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
"Nice original condition" - it looks like hell

"We haven't been through these boxes; who knows what treasures you'll find!" - uh huh, right

"This isn't signed but it looks just like a xxx" - but you know perfectly well it isn't

"OK, dealers out there, wake up!" - I know you all aren't seriously interested in this but maybe that cattle call will generate some interest from the novices

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Bakelite??" "Untested Bakelite" "French Bakelite - doesn't test like normal Bakelite" = This ain't bakelite, it's just plastic. Spend $150 on it please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot