Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deco Deliveries

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
5b4d0ce397fcaae64ece201f0102d727.jpg

Rob

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
The 1964 Chevrolet XP-819 rear engine concept & design car. Some think of this as a Corvette, some see it as a design for the 2nd generation Corvair. The rear clamshell opens & the V8 engine hangs backwards behind the rear axle.

1964_Chevrolet_CorvetteXP819-0-1024.jpg

1964_Chevrolet_CorvetteXP819-1-1024.jpg

1964-xp-819-c1550-0004.ashx

When Chevrolet was done working with the car it somehow ended up with Smokey Yunick & sat in his Florida shop for yrs. A friend of mine who was a 3rd generation Chev - GMC dealership owner bought the car from Smokey. It was in sad shape, almost in pieces. I have lots of pics of this car in various stages of restoration.

It certainly looks much more like the following generations of Corvettes that followed than a Corvair. Very cool

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
It had some Corvair production parts on it. For example the seats were molded in fiberglass; driver adjustments were made by telescoping steering column & the pedals moved up & back by hydraulic cylinder. When he got the car that cylinder was froze up. In running the part number to see what Chevrolet had used & if we could get a replacement, it came back as a hydraulic cylinder for a Corvair convertible top.
Wow that is wild. Very cool info to have. Thanks for sharing I love this forum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points