Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delahaye USA to build modern replicas of 1930s classics

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Story said:
I thought the rear view made it look like the original Batmobile.
coupes_rolls1.jpg

I know. Isn't amazing? A Rolls-Royce Batmobile!

Story said:
Our prices of $500,000 to $600,000 to create an entire hand built car from scratch is a great value, especially in light of the declining US dollar.

Pricey, but another reason to be glad of the Pound.

warbird

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
Those are truly breathtaking!

The thing that saddens me about gorgeous machines like that is that they're always owned by rich old guys who rarely drive them except for occasional show-off Sunday drives. Slowly.

If I could have car like that, it would be my daily driver. And call me unconscionably crass, but I'd have them drop a Shelby Cobra engine in it.:eek:

If you owned and invested in an expensive old car or a custom made one, you wouldn't drive it daily. Driving it daily abuses any car, and a car that expensive shouldn't be abused. Additionally people who collect and spend large amounts of money on cars buy them as investments as well. Most old cars get driven, and some fast too. They are built for comfort and speed, which along with their beauty is what attracts collectors. Especially the ones buying custom vehicles.

As far as the cobra engine, I wouldn't consider it crass, but I would question the logic of it. 1) Which engine? The small block HIPO? 427? or 428 SCJ? None of those engines was built for running large heavy carriage cars. They are built for light aggressive cars that can spin up rpm's quickly. These cars run exactly what they need, large v10's and v12's. They make immense torque and beautifully smooth power. These cars are by no means slow.

Incidentally you can still buy a new Shelby Cobra, with the modern amenities of more powerful brakes and well formed aluminum or glass. They are nicer than their forebearers, which had very rough aluminum bodies that rippled. They were cool, but these today are flawless. Oh, and though not a lot, they are cheaper than buying an original. In fact they are faster as they are than they would be with a cobra engine in them likely. Anyway why would you want a loud vibrating engine in a car built for elegance and refinement.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Anyone who can afford to drop a half-million bucks on a car doesn't need another investment. As for the Cobra engine, I didn't mean that literally - but it was the first thing that came to mind when I wanted to express something big, loud and powerful. The whole point was that cars like this are usually owned by guys who buy them primarily as status symbols and don't have any real fun with them. I find that a waste of fine machinery.

warbird

One Too Many
Most of those people got their money precisely because they are good at saving and investing it. There's no way they spend half a mill for something that will lose value like a rock. These cars keep going up for that reason.

And trust me I have been involved with philanthropists and heavy money givers, ie wealthy people, for many years. I can assure you they have a lot of fun with their toys, investments. I didn't miss your point but I think you missed mine.

If you don't like what they do then get yourself out there get a few million in the bank and drop half a mill on one of these for a daily driver. That'd show 'em.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I don't want to offend anybody, but I can't see this going anywhere good. I think of all the "revivals" of classic marques that have been tried (Stutz, Duesenberg, Packard, Indian motorcycle, etc.) and they all end up either as scams or glorified kit cars. In any case they usually bastardize the original designs to make them fit with modern, off-the-shelf components and to fit with modern tastes (for instance, I'm sure these will all run giant "dub" type wheels with low-profile tires). No, I'd rather remember these cars as they were and not be exposed to somebody's re-imagining of them.

I think the Duesy revival hurt the worst, since the point of the original Duesy was their amazing mechanicals. I think the remakes used Chevrolet engines!

The Harley-clone Indians were a close second in stomach-turning capability.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner