Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Demon Hanover by Hoyt Hats.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the Lounge and that's a good deal on the Demon, although I have found that, though the hats are rare and desirable, they don't pull in the prices others do. I've located two over the years (all original parts) and paid ~$120 and ~$75 respectively for them. There's a fellow on eBay who has been asking $1,000 for one for a few years and hasn't gotten a bite.

They are great hats, though. Can you share pics of the inside conversions? And is your box a Demon Hanover box?

We have a thread on the Demon Hanover: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/demon-hanover-by-hoyt-hats.58432/
inside hoyt hat.jpg hoyt hat liner.jpg

gilligan

One of the Regulars
If I could find another one for a low price, I would jump on it in a second. You're right, they are a rarity and the one you mentioned on ebay right now for $1000.00 is just crazy. Sadly, I don't have the original box as I wish I did. The box I have is the one from JJ Hat Center. I do have an original press photo of Harrison Hoyt driving Demon Hanover to the win in his first race. Pretty neat item to have with the hat.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
They did a nice job. Too bad you couldn't salvage the liner. The liner tip is one of the coolest features.
Thank you. I know what you mean. I do have the original liner and sweat band in the box. The liner and sweat band is in pretty good condition. I had them replaced when I had JJ's re block the hat and stretch it to a 7 3/8. Thank goodness the hat kept it's shape. I was impressed with the work JJ's did.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Thank you. I know what you mean. I do have the original liner and sweat band in the box. The liner and sweat band is in pretty good condition. I had them replaced when I had JJ's re block the hat and stretch it to a 7 3/8. Thank goodness the hat kept it's shape. I was impressed with the work JJ's did.
The hat looks dirty but it isn't. It's still damp as I just finished cleaning it.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
I have a Demon hat box. Sans the hat.

At some point, you might consider having JJ sew the original parts back in the hat, since they’re in good condition, unless the sweatband is way too small to be stretched to your size. I happen to know someone who can successfully upsize sweats two and half sizes using a unique technique.
Would make its value go way up and you may later appreciate it even more.

At some point, you might consider having JJ sew the original parts back in the hat, since they’re in good condition, unless the sweatband is way too small to be stretched to your size. I happen to know someone who can successfully upsize sweats two and half sizes using a unique technique.
Know a guy, you do. ;)

Yamahana

One Too Many

Does the sweat have to be detached from the reed tape for this “someone” to upsize the sweat?

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Hi everybody,
Today I was on the internet looking for vintage fedora's and I so happened to check out Facebook Mkt. Place. I've been looking on there every day for several months and this morning I hit the honey hole. To my disbelief and falling off the chair, I found an unworn Hoyt Demon Hanover Hat with the box. To my amazement the box still had the original paperwork from the factory attached to it. Needless to say I sealed the deal and purchased them this afternoon.
The lady who sold me the hat was absolutely wonderful and said it was in the family since it was purchased new. To say I hit the honey hole is an understatement and I am thrilled to death.
I do have another Hoyt Demon Hanover that I purchased years ago on eBay but I was always looking for the box to go with it, but to find an unworn Hoyt hat in pristine condition with the box it came with and the paper still attached is a rare find indeed. I am forever grateful to this lady, and I will always treasure this find.

Attachments

• 20231011_200504.jpg
    20231011_200504.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231011_200431.jpg
    20231011_200431.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231011_200649.jpg
    20231011_200649.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231011_200620.jpg
    20231011_200620.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231011_200611.jpg
    20231011_200611.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231011_200431.jpg
    20231011_200431.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Hoyt Hat box 1.jpg
    Hoyt Hat box 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 45
Hi everybody,
Today I was on the internet looking for vintage fedora's and I so happened to check out Facebook Mkt. Place. I've been looking on there every day for several months and this morning I hit the honey hole. To my disbelief and falling off the chair, I found an unworn Hoyt Demon Hanover Hat with the box. To my amazement the box still had the original paperwork from the factory attached to it. Needless to say I sealed the deal and purchased them this afternoon.
The lady who sold me the hat was absolutely wonderful and said it was in the family since it was purchased new. To say I hit the honey hole is an understatement and I am thrilled to death.
I do have another Hoyt Demon Hanover that I purchased years ago on eBay but I was always looking for the box to go with it, but to find an unworn Hoyt hat in pristine condition with the box it came with and the paper still attached is a rare find indeed. I am forever grateful to this lady, and I will always treasure this find.

Fantastic find, @gilligan. I've been looking for a box for quite some time now.

If you could, please cross-post your new find in the Demon Hanover thread.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/demon-hanover-by-hoyt-hats.58432/

And maybe let us see your other one, too?

gilligan

One of the Regulars
everybody,

Attachments​

• Hoyt Hat box 1.jpg
    Hoyt Hat box 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231011_200431.jpg
    20231011_200431.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231011_200611.jpg
    20231011_200611.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231011_200620.jpg
    20231011_200620.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231011_200649.jpg
    20231011_200649.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231011_200431.jpg
    20231011_200431.jpg
  • 20231011_200504.jpg
    20231011_200504.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Quote Reply
Report Edit
  • Love
Reactions:TheOldFashioned, BobHufford and AbbaDatDeHat

everybody,

Attachments​

• Hoyt Hat box 1.jpg
    Hoyt Hat box 1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231011_200431.jpg
    20231011_200431.jpg
  • 20231011_200611.jpg
    20231011_200611.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231011_200620.jpg
    20231011_200620.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231011_200649.jpg
    20231011_200649.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231011_200431.jpg
    20231011_200431.jpg
  • 20231011_200504.jpg
    20231011_200504.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Quote Reply
Report Edit
Reactions:TheOldFashioned, BobHufford and AbbaDatDeHat

Now that I have you corralled into the proper thread, a few questions:

Were you given a date of purchase?
Since the sweatband is in pretty good shape, can you post photos of the re-order tags? If you have a date of purchase, we may be able to decipher some of the information on the re-order tag to apply to other DHs.

One observation: Yours is one which indicates the Hoyt Hat Co. is in E. Dorset, VT, rather than Danbury, CT. I think this means is part of a later run of the hats (but not certain).

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Now that I have you corralled into the proper thread, a few questions:

Were you given a date of purchase?
Since the sweatband is in pretty good shape, can you post photos of the re-order tags? If you have a date of purchase, we may be able to decipher some of the information on the re-order tag to apply to other DHs.

One observation: Yours is one which indicates the Hoyt Hat Co. is in E. Dorset, VT, rather than Danbury, CT. I think this means is part of a later run of the hats (but not certain).
Good questions. The lady that sold me the hat did mention that it was in the family since new, but not sure of exact date. As far as the sweat band showing E. Dorset, VT, I noticed that myself and was puzzled by this as well. I do know that my other one as well as the rest I've seen on here are all made in Danbury, CT. I couldn't find any info on this as to whether Hoyt Hats had moved their operation to VT. later on or what's going on exactly. This in itself is another bit of historical questions for this rare hat.
There was one just recently posted on Ebay and I noticed that the sweat band on that one also was showing E. Dorset, VT.
As far as the reorder tag goes it shows the following; HOYT A 5376 200CT TAN 9 57 7. Hope this helps.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Good questions. The lady that sold me the hat did mention that it was in the family since new, but not sure of exact date. As far as the sweat band showing E. Dorset, VT, I noticed that myself and was puzzled by this as well. I do know that my other one as well as the rest I've seen on here are all made in Danbury, CT. I couldn't find any info on this as to whether Hoyt Hats had moved their operation to VT. later on or what's going on exactly. This in itself is another bit of historical questions for this rare hat.
There was one just recently posted on Ebay and I noticed that the sweat band on that one also was showing E. Dorset, VT.
As far as the reorder tag goes it shows the following; HOYT A 5376 200CT TAN 9 57 7. Hope this helps.

Both of mine are Danbury; one has 9/51 on the re-order and the other 3/53. If these are dates, which I have long suspected, then yours was produced in 9/57, which supports the move of the company at some date later than 1953.

I sort of remember doing some research on that, but can't remember how far I got. I'll have to re-tackle that.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
Know a guy, you do. ;)

Hi Randall, I know this is many months past this conversation, but would you still have the information as to the person who can upsize the sweat band. I was posting on here recently since I was able to purchase another Demon Hanover hat and going through older conversations, I saw yours. Being fairly new to the Lounge, I wasn't that familiar with navigating around. Heck, I just learned to post the information of the Hoyt Demon Hanover Hat specifically in the Hoyt Hat section. Sorry about that and I hope you didn't think I was being rude by not responding to the original post.

Hi Randall, I know this is many months past this conversation, but would you still have the information as to the person who can upsize the sweat band. I was posting on here recently since I was able to purchase another Demon Hanover hat and going through older conversations, I saw yours. Being fairly new to the Lounge, I wasn't that familiar with navigating around. Heck, I just learned to post the information of the Hoyt Demon Hanover Hat specifically in the Hoyt Hat section. Sorry about that and I hope you didn't think I was being rude by not responding to the original post.

Randall does know the guy very well. Because it's him, LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24