Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim ankle width and turn up(cuff) depth.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I'm 63. 6' and either way is fine. I find it same as always, because I never wore pre-shrunk or stone washed. If long, I wear cuffed until the shrink is out, usually 2 washes, then hem. Or wash twice at the get go and hem if needed. I only wear them casual and for real work anyway. Going out I may wear 5 pocket, but rarely blue jeans.

or, just wear with western boots and go for that "look".

Never been a fan of cuffs on my jeans or anyone else's for that matter but do see them around here occasionally. I wear my jeans almost exclusively with cowboy boots and wear them in longer lengths because most of my boots have about a 2" heel and worn longer so the jeans don't ride so far up the leg when in the saddle. The "look" Butte is referring to is called stacked.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The main hazard with turn-ups is that it can lead to wear and tear along the edge of the fold which all but the toughest of denim has trouble resisting. I had to get my Freddies hemmed after a while because it was threatening to go right through at the back. That said, I've been wearing my Lee archive jeans for best part of a year with a triple 2" cuff and they're looking good. Perhaps I own too many pairs of jeans nowadays and they're just not getting hammered the way my older ones were when I had just a few pairs. :D:eek:

^^ yeah, that's the danger. What I do is even if I'm not washing a pair, I pull down the cuffs, brush out the crap, then soak in hot water a couple minutes to relax the denim. Wait until they dry, and then cuff again, but I try to move the cuff line up/down 1/4"-1/2". Seems to work pretty well. If you wait until you have distance lines, it's kinda too late. but depending on the jeans, it's appealing to have frays, etc. on the bottoms with boots. Others, I want to look "clean" for lack of better term.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Pike jeans are suffering from 'break-through' on the cuff crease lines now....but the cuffs haven't fallen off yet :) Those jeans have taken some real abuse & look about 100 years old now.

About time I stumped up for another pair!!! The only other pair of jeans I own are some Levi's that are in worse nick than the Pikes.

Cocker

Practically Family
On the other hand, jeans cuffs are a great place to put your ciragette butts once they are extinguished and there's no ashtray around...

:p

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Personally I think the look is great but I fear doing it for the sake of looking like I'm trying too hard. Silly fear I know. The guys here who grew up with it as youngsters have justification, but I can't seem to find any for myself, let alone the tenacity to purchase a good pair of denim instead of more jackets.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
Wow, when this post started i had no idea so many put so much into their cuffs. Im actually pretty suprised.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall somebody saying that in Japan they get their jeans in 34" or 36" and then get them altered, and this has led in part for the resurgence of cuffing because of the popularity of Japanese denim.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Since my normal inseam is 35" I don't need jeans hemmed whether 34" or 36". Any inseam the least bit less than 34" results in "stork legs" appearance with exposed ankles.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It's pretty much impossible for me to find jeans long enough to need a turn up!

My perfect inseam is 36", which doesn't exist in high most European street shops, and is already hard enough to come by.
The only pair of jeans i turn up are my 25oz IH, they came in at 37.5" inseam and i didn't want to have them hemmed, i settled on a 1.75" double cuff.

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
I do both cuffed or not. It certainly makes more of a statement cuffed. If I wear jeans in my vintage Country band I will cuff with boots--usually about 3"-4"--that would have been the look in the 40's-50's which our music is built on. I'll also do cuffs with retro sneakers or work type boots. If I wear cowboy boots with jeans uncuffed I always stack them--it's a sin to wear Wranglers or otherwise that are too short with boots--gotta be at least 2" longer than normal inseam. Here's a pic from yesterday's gig:

And kind of cool that an artist painted us on stage from the back/side of the stage--I'm trying to buy the painting--how could I pass it up!!

Fonzie

One Too Many
I do both cuffed or not. It certainly makes more of a statement cuffed. If I wear jeans in my vintage Country band I will cuff with boots--usually about 3"-4"--that would have been the look in the 40's-50's which our music is built on. I'll also do cuffs with retro sneakers or work type boots. If I wear cowboy boots with jeans uncuffed I always stack them--it's a sin to wear Wranglers or otherwise that are too short with boots--gotta be at least 2" longer than normal inseam. Here's a pic from yesterday's gig:

And kind of cool that an artist painted us on stage from the back/side of the stage--I'm trying to buy the painting--how could I pass it up!!

Nice fitting jeans there, sir.
What are they if I may ask? I only just started wearing boots and can't find jeans that fit me well over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Thanks all:
This band is The Hotshot Drifters :)
The jeans I have on here are LC King "American Originals"--I like them a lot--a higher waisted jean similar to original Wranglers. (Hint, if you sign up for LC King's email list you will get a discount and they offer ongoing promos--some really good). I also wear Wrangler Cowboy Cut 13MWZ's, Wrangler 936DEN Slim Fit Cowboy Cut, and Levi 501's. All will fit over boots no problem.
PS: Making arrangements with the artist to purchase the painting!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner