Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim Jacket - possible to brighten up the colour?

andyone

A-List Customer
I got this Lee 101 Rider Jacket. It fits well and I really like the pattern. But I'm not 100% satisfied with it's colour...
Is there an easy way to diy brighter? The jacket has never been washed. Would it help to wash it with cold water so that it would "loose" some colour?

Here are some pics
39404680ln.jpg

39404681nx.jpg

39404685zl.jpg

Any advice is appreciated!

Best
Andy

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
too good of a denim jacket to DIY, just wear it normally, wash it inside out in cold or by hand with delicate/ dark color detergent to preserve the color longer, wash it warm with normal/ general purpose detergent to fade it faster, line dry it in the sun if you will. or just wear it more.

stay away from sandpaper, pumice stone, bleach, and stuff, it will never look natural.

sometime with the wrong pants color the color of the jacket might look ugly, but if paired with the right pants it might combo nicely. perhaps if you double denim it then the color might look meh, but if you wear it with let say black pants, or off white pants, or olive khaki pants, then the color will pop.

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
I would say if you're really set on the idea, the best thing to do would be give it a cold soak. Move it around, agitate it, get the water to penetrate to the fibers' core. You'd lose a little dye, lightening the color. Probably less so if you turn it inside out. I think the jacket looks good, but your opinion is the one that matters.

Pandemic

One Too Many
A cold rinse is a good idea - if there is any lose dye, you want it out before it bleeds on your other clothes.

Usually I'd suggest adding a splash of vinegar to fix the color and prevent further fading, but it your goal is to lighten it, then the next step will be bleaching. I would suggest going slowly - add a small amount of bleach to a cold water wash cycle and see if you like it once its dry. If not, repeat until it is light enough. Avoid doing a soak in the tube - the machine agitation and movement will ensure that it is even.

That said, I think it looks perfect as is. I'd be happy to wear it and know that it will lighten with age.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all! I don't particularly like indigo denim either, it looks a bit boring and I currently want to brighten my Dickies jacket as well, as it's the same color as this Lee. But then again, I fear I might rob it of a chance to start showing sick fadez so I dunno... It was cheap, in any case but it's such a nice trucker.

andyone

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the inputs so far. Maybe I have to make clear what I want.
In my opinion the colour looks a bit boring. It's even and looks like a painture. I want it to get more contrast between the different parts and lighten a bit - kind of used for some years without to be used for some years :)
I won't do anything like sandpaper, pumice stone and bleach.
I will just start giving it a soak with cold water and some mild detergend and let it dry. My fear was that it will shrink when I wash it.

Best
Andy

Pandemic

One Too Many
For contrast (fades) you want to fix the base color and let it fade on high wear whiskers and flex points. My suggestion is a cold soak with vinegar to fix the color followed by wearing it around the house for the next month.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
We always lightened it up washing with a little bleach in the mix...then wash in just water to get any leftover bleach and soap out.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the inputs so far. Maybe I have to make clear what I want.
In my opinion the colour looks a bit boring. It's even and looks like a painture. I want it to get more contrast between the different parts and lighten a bit - kind of used for some years without to be used for some years :)
I won't do anything like sandpaper, pumice stone and bleach.
I will just start giving it a soak with cold water and some mild detergend and let it dry. My fear was that it will shrink when I wash it.

Best
Andy
I think you better starch it a bit wear it until it is creasing and hold it creases well, put on a hanger, and hang it outside in the sun, uv from above will fade it and creases will get more color definition since protruding parts get faded more and also the higher parts like collar and shoulder will fade more. Stuff the sleeve with something to simulate arm and bend the elbow a little to get more forearm fade. It doesnt have to be in the sun, just hang it outside at your porch or something where uv can reach is enough. Just park it there whenever you dont wear the jacket

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy