Denim Jackets - New or Vintage

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by AndrewC, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Atticus Finch likes this.
  2. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

That Wrangler Wrange coat is a pretty cool item. They were a very popular PX purchase when I was growing up. The young soldiers always wore them when off duty teamed up with boot cut jeans, boots and big hats. That longer style was real popular back then, mid 70s to early 80s. Yours is a nice vintage jacket, I would be happy to own one like it.

Atticus Finch likes this.
  3. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Because I now have a full record, I'd thought I'd share this. Times may have changed, but my tastes haven't.

Age 5:
    [​IMG]

Age 12:
    [​IMG]

Age 24:
    [​IMG]

Ross Young, jonesy86, Edward and 4 others like this.
  4. Thuggee

Thuggee Practically Family

Mine [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. JVanBro

JVanBro Familiar Face

That's a great jacket!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

6. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I bought this in a mall around 1989. Size 36, made in USA.
    0 soaks
    probably pushing a hundred washes in hot water and hot dryer
    No Iro-Ochi
    I like the "patina"
    No slub
    no tubing
    No Tate-Ochi

IMG_2939.jpeg IMG_2940.jpeg

7. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

[​IMG]IMG_3319 - Copy (2) by Al Sutherland, on Flickr

I took out my vintage Big E Levi's jacket again recently for an airing. I think it is a circa 1971 jacket as it has the red Big E label but also the small white care instructions label which came in, I believe, that year. It is marked size 44 but fits more like a size 42. Needless to say, it is probably my favorite jacket that I own.

8. kowalski

kowalski Practically Family

Hi all

I bought a long time ago jacket Levis 507xx big E (paper version tag ) exactly the same,
    http://www.shop-ria.jp/product/316
    every detail is the same, but there are no stemple ”0” or ”555”etc.. on revers button. There are clean inside. Jacket have big ”E”, big white card inside with silver thread (only vrite 1097), everything seems original but that detail. You have idea what does it mean? You can tell me more ? it repro ? original ? fake , made USA or Japan ?
    thanks!
    best regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. EmergencyIan

EmergencyIan Practically Family

I think it's an official reproduction from Levi's LVC or at least Levi's base in the USA. I've never seen an original with that type of white tag inside of it. The vintage jackets did come with a white "!00% cotton, care instructions, etc" tag on the inside collar area, which were also made from a different material then what you find on your jacket. Those tags survive, over the years, sometimes and many times they gone or only remnants remain.

- Ian

10. kowalski

Yes, it true, it information is has been confirmed for other forum dedicated LVS
    It repro from 10 oct 97'
    best regards Ian

EmergencyIan likes this.
  11. kowalski

My next jacket from/ made in 1968-74
    Levis 70505 big E

Attached Files:

Mich486 and BobHufford like this.
  12. Sonero

Sonero Practically Family

Well patience and persistence is an understatement when dealing with ciano.

My 5 months wait was recently up for my $1,344 order. Two jackets and Three pairs of pants.

I had to open up a claim on Paypal because time was running out of my 180 paypal protection plan. In short he finally got the goods to me but with a few issues.

1. One pair of 15oz cotton canvas navy blue arrived size 32 *khaki. I am a size 44 by the way :) $100

2. One of my jackets $360 has the wrong color buttons, he didn't add 1" of length to it in the body how he was supposed to, he put ***copper colored rivets on the jacket which contrasts with the TIN colored ones he was supposed to put on. Even the black plastic buttons he put on in error clash with the copper rivets.

The jacket also has sloppy edging which shows white edging on the pockets against black fabric. It makes the jacket look poorly made.

I ordered 2 pairs of 23oz jeans and they came out great and one other jacket which came out nicely.

When I called him to check on my items he sounded aloof and not organized. My email responses from him were also flakey in that he wasn't sure what was going out to me.

He sounds like a guy running a small business. I respect that but he also needs to consider customer service. I put down good money on this guy and I feel I got burned. That shouldn't happen.

At one time he held one item ransom until I agreed to pay for shipping. I filed a claim with paypal and he sent the item finally, BUT the wrong item.

All in all I guess I can say for that price, and the 3 items, I got what it would have cost at an Iron Heart or somewhere like that. On the other hand I tried supporting a small business that didn't deserve it.

If you must buy from Ciano I recommend doing one item only and save your emails . You might need them later on.

I will post a picture tomorrow at some point. At the moment I am still very upset.

Yes. I have taken the necessary steps to remedy the situation.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  13. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Sonero,
    I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experience and I feel particularly bad because I recommended Ciano Farmer to you in the first place. I have been happy with the items I purchased from him and I am sorry to hear about the delays and mistakes that ruined your experience with him.
    Happy New Year!

14. Sonero

Thanks but it so isn't your fault. He makes good stuff but his business practices are anything but professional.
    Hopefully the BBB will help me out.

I want him to take back the wrong item he sent me and replace the buttons he agreed to put on.
    I want good vibes and totally believe in karma....bigtime.

Thank You for the recommendation !

El Marro likes this.
  15. Sonero

Here are a few pics :

The black denim jacket with copper rivets and black buttons, both of which I did not order, looks horrible. Button holes tough to push buttons through. Notice the white edging on the inside of lower pocket.

thumbnail_20180108_203836.jpg

He puts his leather label on the *inside of the jacket so it leaves weird looking stitching on the outside.

thumbnail_20180108_114141.jpg

My 32 inch waist pants in khaki that I did not order.

thumbnail_20180108_204016.jpg

Trenchfriend likes this.
  16. Sonero

I called Paypal this morning and they told me that custom made items are NEVER covered by Paypal. So be aware when you order Bespoke goods that they will NOT be covered.

Ciano works with Paypal :)

17. ProteinNerd

ProteinNerd My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ouch!
    If you don’t get the goods, you don’t get the goods....what does it matter if it’s a custom order or not?

Thanks for the warning, I’ll avoid Ciano

18. Sonero

Don't know, those are Paypal rules. I am currently working with the BBB. No response from Ciano after writing a polite email. He is being difficult.

19. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Wow, sad to hear yet another small maker is falling into this trap. Makes me wonder just how hard this biz must be.
    Hope you guys get settled and I do hope Ciano gets it together...

20. Sonero

Can someone please copy/paste my experience on the other selvedge forum listed ? I can't for the life of me register to post. The host website has been giving me trouble when I get to the final page.

* Thanks