Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depressed by the modern world

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I dunno, I seem to remember our garage was a center of the community, where people gathered to have a Coke, smoke a cigarette, and pass the time of day while their points were being adjusted, and their chassis was being Marfaked. Just like in Mayberry -- except our employees were smarter than Gomer and Goober. I don't remember anyone ever expressing any sense of resentment, any more than we resented the farmer when we opened up a bottle of milk or the fisherman when we fried up the mackerel.

texsta.jpg

You just don't find that sense of community at Jiffy Lube. That's another thing I miss.

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
People can't fix their own cars anymore because they are all computerized. If something goes, it goes to the shop, and it'll cost you.

Look at all of the recalls- cars aren't made very well.

BigBoiBrady

New in Town
A lot of us here believe that much of the "progress" that's been achieved in recent times is largely illusory, like a fresh coat of paint on a rotten house -- that just enough progress has been achieved to give people a chance to point to superficial achievements and say "Look! We've solved that problem! Aren't we great!" and then ignore the evidence before them that the root of the problem has simply been shoved under the rug and not really solved at all.

And, a lot of us did grow up in a world with a healthy manufacturing economy, a dignified working class, real downtowns, rotary telephones, black-and-white television, and no designated-hitter rule, and we honestly miss it.

I do agree that much of today's progress is largely illusory. What I was trying to say is that the golden era and today's world both had/have their own unique, distinct problems and benefits and I don't think its totally right to say one is overall better than the other unless you have lived in both times. My statement is mainly geared towards the younger people who are probably yearning for a time they've only seen through the eyes of Hollywood and through their grandparents faded photos. I can at least admit I enjoy the aesthetic and culture of that time period yet I do realize that I live a life more in tune with today.

bulldog1935

Suspended
I dunno, I seem to remember our garage was a center of the community, where people gathered to have a Coke, smoke a cigarette, and pass the time of day while their points were being adjusted, and their chassis was being Marfaked. Just like in Mayberry -- except our employees were smarter than Gomer and Goober. I don't remember anyone ever expressing any sense of resentment, any more than we resented the farmer when we opened up a bottle of milk or the fisherman when we fried up the mackerel.

You just don't find that sense of community at Jiffy Lube. That's another thing I miss.

a slower life is undoubtedly a better life, but in no way relates to the economic statements with which you started this argument .
Yes, you have to make your own community today by making an effort.
Have you talked to people at Jiffy Lube?
Something that happens here, people talk to each other, they're nice to each other. We talk to strangers, and expect to be answered. Prolly a Texas thing.

Last edited:

Feraud

Bartender
This is a very unkind thing to say... to all sorts of people.

Quite frankly, some people here think life was better back then and want to go back. Some people here think life is better now and want to stay here. Some people here think there are good things from back then and good things from now and want to stay here. It's all a matter of opinion. You're not going to change anybody's viewpoint by arguing with them on this point. You have a right for your viewpoint and for giving reasoning for your viewpoint, just like everybody else. But arguing why everyone else is supposed to think like you is not going to change anybody's mind. When it's clear that it won't, continuing to argue your point and make dismissive comments (like the ones above) makes you look like you don't respect other people's opinions. Believe me, everybody here has a viewpoint on this and you're not going to change any of our minds.
I find the lack of empathy disturbing.

bulldog1935

Suspended
People can't fix their own cars anymore because they are all computerized. If something goes, it goes to the shop, and it'll cost you.

Look at all of the recalls- cars aren't made very well.
I don't think you read DeLorean's book.
'63 Pontiac Tempest. '62 Corvair? Hermetically sealed GM starters in the 70s designed to crack after a finite number of uses.
Cars are made much better and much safer now.

Indyoriginal

New in Town
For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying this conversation. I am finding many salient points to ponder. Thank you.

In fact, this conversation reminds me of another facet of yesteryear which seems to be better - the general level of conversation. As with anything else, I am biased as I am judging from how my grandparents speak, but if you listen to most conversations amongst members of my generation (25) your brain will voluntarily melt out of your skull and run for the exits. And yes, of course, I realize that my grandparents are not a perfect sample of America in the 30s and 40s, and America at that time had more than its share of relatively uneducated, and likely less eloquent speakers, but I still maintain that the general level of speak is much more rudimentary and crude in comparison to that of America/western world in that era.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Back on topic, this thread was posted by a fellow who feels depressed by the modern world. I don't think anyone should judge him or others for what they feel as a "waste." Depression is real for many people, and if they could snap out of it in an instant, most would. Some things are genuinely depressing and the way out is to discuss it.

Yes, there were negative things about cars then, but I think there's more, now. Yes, older ones to typically require more routine maintenance, but you can do it yourself. I look under the hood of my '72 and can see all 8 spark plugs. If it doesn't start, I can typically diagnose the problem in 10 minutes or less. It's either not getting fuel or spark, and I just gotta figure out where. Replacing said broken part is usually a 20 dollar part and a 15 minute fix.

I had to take my truck in for a repair awhile back (a '96) and it was a 90 cent piece and 500 bucks in labor. It still never worked right after that. Any time I took that truck in for anything, they wanted 500 bucks outta me, because it's buried under plastic, or it's some sensor or computer error. I'll pass on all that, thank you.

I don't think you read DeLorean's book.
'63 Pontiac Tempest. '62 Corvair? Hermetically sealed GM starters in the 70s designed to crack after a finite number of uses.
Cars are made much better and much safer now.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
a slower life is undoubtedly a better life, but in no way relates to the economic statements with which you started this argument .
Yes, you have to make your own community today by making an effort.
Have you talked to people at Jiffy Lube?

You know, I've tried. But they're not used to it -- they have a quota to meet and they can't take five minutes to shoot the breeze with a customer. It's all about get-em-in, get-em-out, the same as any other franchise operation in this mutiplexed short-attention-span age.

Economics are just a part of it. I'm a Luddite in that respect, and I know it -- I would much prefer to live in a world driven by the blue-collar working class than by the white-collar middle class, such as the world I was born into, and the above phenomenon is exactly the reason why. When the world is dominatedby bean-counters in a head office somewhere, reducing human beings to sterile ones and zeros, it ends up being a world people like me don't have any place in.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying this conversation. I am finding many salient points to ponder. Thank you.

In fact, this conversation reminds me of another facet of yesteryear which seems to be better - the general level of conversation. As with anything else, I am biased as I am judging from how my grandparents speak, but if you listen to most conversations amongst members of my generation (25) your brain will voluntarily melt out of your skull and run for the exits. And yes, of course, I realize that my grandparents are not a perfect sample of America in the 30s and 40s, and America at that time had more than its share of relatively uneducated, and likely less eloquent speakers, but I still maintain that the general level of speak is much more rudimentary and crude in comparison to that of America/western world in that era.

The average sixth grader today has a vocabulary of about 10,000 words.
The average sixth grader in 1940 had a vocabulary of about 25,000 words.

The essence of civilization -- written language -- is devolving before your very eyes.

rue

I will never understand why people come on here and want to argue with us, Lizzie. This site isn't just for people that like hats and collecting old stuff, it's also a place for people that prefer the lifestyle of that time period. Why can't the naysayers let us be? shakeshead

I'm sick to death of arguing about it, which is part of the reason I haven't been on here as much.

bulldog1935

Suspended
Maybe you can start a thread on how wonderful you and 2013 is.
this is several snide posts in a row from you, and I won't be telling you what I think of you - I'm gentlemanly that way - but I won't be visiting your thread again, either.
I wish you a happy new year, and hope you determine how to make the best of 2013 for yourself.
I will tell you how wonderful my daughter is, though - the lowest grade of her life is a 96.
(and has always been singularly known for her vocabulary)
aP7260015.jpg

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I quite Facebook and Twitter a year ago. I don't regret the decision or miss either of them. I have a cell phone for emergencies and to ask what I need to get at the grocery store if I'm out. The computer I'm at is a tool, like my phone, with a use. It is not my life nor my identity.

I read books, not digital files. I wear suits, collared shirts and socks and I am normal for doing so and everyone else is odd for not doing so. Running shoes are for running, pyjamas for sleeping and yoga pants for yoga. Deal with it.

As for people staring or asking dumb questions, merely proof of their issues - not any alleged to be mine!

Mr. C.

I am thoroughly disgusted with much of today's lack of morals and class, and I do what I can to tune it out. Sometimes it is difficult because so much of it is so close. But short of being a hermit, I only have my own will, beliefs, and practices to help keep me grounded.

I hadn't realized how much just one modern item was disturbing my being until I just stopped partaking in it just short of two months ago, and that is the narcissism festival that is facebook. What a horrible encapsulation of so much that is wrong with society today. I am so much more at peace since I stopped looking at all that drivel.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Crown Vic is the best built vehicle of the past 10 years. Love Ford's Panther Platform. Have a Grand Marquis, a Caddy Fleetwood, a Chevy Caprice, Ford LTD Country Squire, and an '89 Ram. All traditional body-on-frame, rear drive, bench seated, column shift yachts of cars. That's the way it's supposed to be.

You guys must be truly bummed out by the Ford decision to close plant and cease production. I live about an hour away from the St. Thomas, Ontario plant where they, and the Lincoln Town Car, were last produced. Being de-machined and mothballed.

My local PD like most Canadian forces relied on the Crown Vic Police Interceptor as their primary vehicle. They now have one Dodge Charger (!) and I've seen the first of the new Ford Taurus "Interceptors".

Neither is to be taken seriously!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I will never understand why people come on here and want to argue with us, Lizzie. This site isn't just for people that like hats and collecting old stuff, it's also a place for people that prefer the lifestyle of that time period. Why can't the naysayers let us be? shakeshead

I'm sick to death of arguing about it, which is part of the reason I haven't been on here as much.

Same here. I'm done with trying to keep this thread on track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo