Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designing Stetson

Mm25

One Too Many

Feraud

Bartender
Interesting, but having listened to it, I don't think she understands her customers. She states hats are just fashion, not useful (hello skin cancer) . Not confidence inspiring for someone who believes hats actually serve a purpose.
I guess there's still Akubra ...
Unfortunately I think she understands customers enough. There are more people out there buying accessories of all types than that which is truly useful. To quote from the piece, "this isn't the America of 50 years ago". We're living in a digital consumer society where we're taught to buy stuff over the internet.
Where is the Stetson cellphone case? ;)

Mm25

One Too Many
Unfortunately I think she understands customers enough. There are more people out there buying accessories of all types than that which is truly useful. To quote from the piece, "this isn't the America of 50 years ago". We're living in a digital consumer society where we're taught to buy stuff over the internet.
You're probably more right than I like to admit . Guess I need a time machine to go back to when things made a little more sense. ☺

Important distinctions at this point. Cowboy hats are most definitely for functional use for real cowboys, ranchers, farmers, horsepeople and the like. For the "fashion crowd" the hat is more of an accessory. For many of us here, the hat can be both. I use them for sun and element protection, but also because I like the way they look.
I think they can certainly be both, and truly at this point the market opens up significantly if you make more than just cowboy hats.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I came to Texas with a mission, to redefine the something I love, to figure out how to pass that passion to everyone.

From the outset, inspired by the past and encouraged by my friends, I was able to bring back brand defining styles using the original machinery with the original hat making techniques, many dating back to the 1920s and before.

With my own archives, I applied elements that I loved, to redefine iconic styles to suit the fashion of the modern day. I installed in the line, pieces that could fight the trend of fast fashion, to be that item you could put on your head knowing it added rather than took away.

I reintroduced a line of women’s hats and watched as more and more styles populated the lineup, and I was proud that the factory could visibly see a change happening when the floor that was covered in racks of cowboy hats day in day out, turned into a sea of red as Marvel’s Agent Carter hit the airwaves, atop her head was a Stetson.

For the 150th anniversary of the company, I designed a roundtable of the finest quality pieces that could be produced, knowing that these were the same steps that over a century of Stetson master hatters used to make the pronounced, yet subtly elegant look of America’s hat.

I willed into being and negotiated the return of the Iconic Manhattan Neon Stetson sign that was, and now again is, above JJ Hatcenter on Fifth Avenue.

Exotic locations, extraordinary situations, one day I was discussing the toquila palm crop with the Ecuadorian consulate while driving to work, the next, I was in Manhattan being tracked down by an Italian man wanting to sweep me up in his SUV, just so I could explain the fall lineup. Videoconferences with Germany at 2am, all-nighters to clean up my Japanese business etiquette because the clients are arriving early…

I’ve made new friends here, I’ve had great adventures, and Big Tex under the shade of his Cowboy hat has looked down at me and smiled. I went to the rodeos, to the barn dances and I got to know the kings and queens of the outlaw country scene.

I came to Texas with a mission, to redefine the something I love, to figure out how to pass that passion to everyone.

I feel that’s what I’ve done.

Of all the endeavors I’ve set my sights on, this one, being the Creative Director of Stetson’s dress hats was one of the most fulfilling. Now, I need to move to my next adventure, and that begins by steeping myself in my hometown of Los Angeles. Reconnecting with my closest, and taking in that warmth of what is my city.

Yours in hatting,

Joseph C. Brandstetter

You should really know we are thankful as "apple pie" for you to have put all your efforts and work into helping create a better hat line from Stetson. If you are ever in our neck of the woods. please let me know. There are some nice steak houses and places to have a great meal and fantastic time, we would LOVE to give you a great meal and share some happy time with you.

I don't see this new CEO person continuing the great work that Matt started. All her comments seem to be just fashion business BS.

Agreed. Unless they replace him with somebody else at the physical manufacturing plant who is committed to the kind of issues Mr. Deckard has been attending to, I fear his efforts will fall by the wayside.

NYC vs. Texas - night and day.

facade

A-List Customer
She is the CEO of Stetson Worldwide. Her job is to promote the brand name and sell licenses. I seriously doubt she or anyone else at her company has any input on the "Stetson" hats made by Hatco, despite what she said.

I don't see this new CEO person continuing the great work that Matt started. All her comments seem to be just fashion business BS.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Tip of my hat to you Mr. Brandstetter! To me, your work was complete with the TRUE reintroduction of THE Stratoliner but you went even further with 150th Royal DeLuxe Open Crown Open Road. You hoisted 2 hat industry icons back on the pedestals they deserve & for that you always have my gratitude.

Boy I'm sorry I missed the Royal Deluxe Open Road , I guess that was a one Time thing , Open Crown Open Road . I was Super Pleased with the Premier Stratoliner , I missed the boat on the Excellent Quality , too . But The Raw Boss , The Stetsonian , The Premier Stratoliner , ... and I hope , The Royal Quality Open Crown Open Road (Please ! Make More !) , and others were Great Starts . I would like to see Styles in Westerns , Fedoras , and the Felts get back to the Good Old Days and continue to improve , that will make customers , City and Country . Quality and Style Matter . I'm glad Matt made an impact for the Good while there , it needs to continue moving in the right direction . Not all Western wearers are fans of the low crown cookie cutter styles . Thanks Matt for Opening some Doors and minds . They'll either move forward , or go backward , nothing stays the same (but they could have stayed with the Quality , and some Classic Styles from the Hay Day) . Even the B.O.P. of a Few Years ago was better Dimension Wise in the Western Category , it came Open Crown (6 1/2" I think) , and you could work with it getting whatever Style you wanted . I'm glad the Fedoras are back (pretty Much) to snuff .

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
Interesting, but having listened to it, I don't think she understands her customers. She states hats are just fashion, not useful (hello skin cancer) . Not confidence inspiring for someone who believes hats actually serve a purpose.
I guess there's still Akubra ...

Speaking of skin cancer, go in a dermatologist office and you will almost always see a Tilley Hats display. Brilliant product placement by Tilley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Forgive my mispelling of your name.

Joseph C. Brandstetter is Matt Deckard . He's moving on from Stetson's Creative Director of Dress Hats to other Opportunities . He brought back Stetson's Quality Dress Hats to what they are , from where they had fallen . I'm sure with Style and Selling His Ideas to the Powers that be at Stetson . Tough Job , but he did a Great Job for the Brand Stetson . I'm very sad to see him go , I was hoping his improvements would go beyond the Dress Hats into their Whole Hat Line . ... excluding Charlie Horse (Helpless) , I couldn't believe they went there , but I guess there's a Market . HatCo ... .

SurfGent

Suspended
I'm sad to see him go. I hope things don't go down hill. This day and age seems to be the only direction they do go with bigger companies when good talent leaves. Well I'll try and stay positive until I'm let down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner