Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detective style fedora

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't Lounger Bending Oak make a hat he calls the Bogart? It is modeled after, well, you know . . .

Also, I have a Resistol in the proper dimensions that I bought from Miamibruno that doesn't get any head time. It's a 7 3/8 and I am willing to part with it. Pictures to follow if the OP is interested.

Actually, it's called the Casablanca, but hey, I was close. ;)

KY Crusader

A-List Customer
The eBay seller and fellow Lounger, Miamibruno comes to mind. He regularly sell thin and soft quality hats from that era. His sizes may not be OP's, though.
Ditto to that! I bought a nice Borsalino form Miamibruno on the Bay (for $135 shipped), and it is truly exquisite! He seems to have a lot of nice fedoras up for auction, and he provides detailed descriptions.

carldelo

One Too Many
For the look in question, I recommend the current Stetson Whippet in caribou gray. It has a classic teardrop shape, medium brim with binding and is a great color. I get more compliments on this hat than any other. I think the gray ribbon and binding is much nicer than black, but that's a personal preference of mine.

I've had a number of Akubra and find them too stiff, as others have mentioned. I guess it's because I'm a city guy, but then, so were movie detectives. The Akubra Sydney is less stiff, but I found the crown more tapered than I liked.

In my opinion, vintage hats are a gamble unless you have it in your hand (or a pipe dream if you have a large noggin), and custom is pointless until you know exactly what you want, which you don't. An important consideration is that a new production hat bought in the US can be returned if necessary. I recommend either Bencraft or Delmonico's as a vendor, they are both excellent.

James Linnehan

New in Town
Buy the wrong hat and you'll end up like this:

s-ae17c138e6042ad826277883a4f051af41f358c1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points