Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detectives Still Wear Fedoras

Nirvana

New in Town
Ben,

I saw that too this morning when I read the paper. BUT..for you folks in Chicago it has been a bit on the nippy side has it not?, and what I am experiencing right now, you should be getting tomorrow. -5 for tonight, was down about -2 last night, at least on my thermometer. And yes I MUST wear a fedora in this weather.

Regards,

Nirvana

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
Nirvana said:
BUT..for you folks in Chicago it has been a bit on the nippy side has it not?, and what I am experiencing right now, you should be getting tomorrow. -5 for tonight, was down about -2 last night, at least on my thermometer. And yes I MUST wear a fedora in this weather.

Regards,

Nirvana
one of the reasons i love living in san diego. never below 50 degrees in winter.

Ben

One of the Regulars
It is supposed to get cold soon, but this is the City of Big Shoulders, so we can move the snow. And big shoulders mean big shivers, which help keep us warm.

BigSho

Vendor
Actually there are quite a few detectives that wear fedoras here in the windy city. I don't know how often they wear them but I sold a few deerstalkers to some detectives over the years too.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Nirvana

New in Town
Although I am not exactly a dective, I do somewhat similar work for the Government, as an inspector. In this cold weather I wear my light brown/tanish color Hickey Freeman top coat a wool and cashmere blend with either my Scala with a tear drop crease or my Bailey "Como II' which I really like. Without the top coat and just my brown Hickey Freeman suit, they look just great. Have received many compliments. For my black suit, I wear a Rosellini, or (I can't make out the maker any more) but it is beaver "Major".

For the very heart of the midwest, most are not used to seeing a man dress as such.

But as you others believe, and I too, quality and traditional fashion are always in style and acceptable.

Nirvana

Jazzman64

New in Town
I've seen a couple of fedora's downtown this winter, but the trend seems to be mostly those Akubra Aussie style hats with the narrow leather band......They just don't seem to go as well with a trench coat or overcoat as a good fedora IMHO.

JD

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Well, I am a detective, with the Salt Lake City PD, although I am going back to the Patrol division next week. You see a lot of folks of all walks of life wearing fedoras downtown, a number of them dressed in nice business clothes. However, being Utah, most of the folks wearing hats wear western style hats.
Most of the detectives dont wear hats. I never quite worked up the nerve. I'll have to try again when I head back to detectives in a few years.

RBH

Bartender
1911 Man said:
Well, I am a detective, with the Salt Lake City PD, although I am going back to the Patrol division next week. You see a lot of folks of all walks of life wearing fedoras downtown, a number of them dressed in nice business clothes. However, being Utah, most of the folks wearing hats wear western style hats.
Most of the detectives dont wear hats. I never quite worked up the nerve. I'll have to try again when I head back to detectives in a few years.
Welcome to the Lounge 1911 Man!
You start wearing a fedora and you may be the trend setter. There may be more trying to get up the nerve...

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great pic, even better story

With something like (at least) two dozen TV shows being screened these days about detectives, investigators and lawyers/DA's, it's great to see that it's not just some TV producer's fantasy, that there truly are real-life heroes like Detective Roberts who work hard in such difficult fields to solve these shocking crimes. He looks great in his fedora, but I take my hat off to him and his peers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner