Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving to the East Coast, Might wear the fedoras more

warbird

One Too Many
Well after leaving northern Virginia 10 years ago and moving back to what I consider home, TN, I said I would likely have to move back to keep moving up in my career. That time has now come and I will have to live back in the mixing bowl of the DC area. Moving at the end of next week. I admit I am somewhat apprehensive of the move as I the wife and kids will follow in a few months. She still has to secure a new position. It will be good for both of our careers, but not necessarily for our casual rural way of life. But, I have spent so much time on the road in recent years and gone for extended periods it sure doesn't feel like I live rural anyway.

I guess I will be wearing less of my westerns and more of my fedoras. Though I will NOT give up wearing my cowboy boots dadgummit, nor my western hats entirely. But suit days are here more often than before. I have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few TFL members from this neck of the woods and maybe I will get to meet some of them thar east coaster types on the TFL. I am sure I shall shock some folks with my boots and hats, as i did way back when. So you might see me on the Metro. I must be nuts to move back up there in all that congestion, but had an offer I couldn't turn down.

By the way I am selling off a bunch of my hats, in the classified section, to have less to move. Most of them don't fit me anyway. I need them to be sold and shipped off by end of next week. So if you are interested make me offers.

I have always offered up my hats first to TFL members who might appreciate them more. I hate dealing with the 'bay.

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chatt-Town resident here. Sad to see a Tennesseean have to go, but I congratulate you and yours for starting a new chapter in your lives. Hope things work out for you!

Good luck in your move. There is a lot of history and plenty of things to do in the D.C. area, but very congested and fast-paced for my tastes, also. The surrounding areas of Virginia are very nice and some retain that rural feel to them.

I say wear your boots and hats and wear them proudly. Your fedoras will probably fit in nicely.

warbird

One Too Many
Dang... I guess there wont be anymore Buckaroo visits now!

Good luck my friend!!!

I already miss Tennessee and haven't left yet. I lived up there before and can do it again. Every place has its pros and cons. Though the big sandbox I found to have little in the way of pros, but hey I'm sure someone likes it. All of my professional opportunities are up there. I have mostly worked for groups based up there since I moved back to Tennessee. So it is time to move up so my career keeps moving up. I have been all over the world and have come to find I can adapt to just about anywhere.

Rusty I will miss my fairly easy jaunts to Mike's place. I had the opportunity here to see the TFL folks at least once a year or so.

warbird

One Too Many
Actually what I think I will miss most is being able to walk out into the back yard and fire off my guns at some steel. So much of my life has revolved around keeping my shooting skills at a maximum level, that shooting several hundred rounds a week had become common. I have a feeling my skills will diminish over the next few months.

Also due to time constraints now I have to sell my mountain hunt for a fannin stone sheep in the northern Yukon for 2012 or 2013. I bemoan that without question as I was greatly looking forward to that 10 day excursion into the high country.

leo

One of the Regulars
I moved to NoVA last year and am not the only one wearing fedoras on the Metro, especially in cooler weather. Don't see many westerns, though. I don't wear my Nate's custom Outback as often as I should.

I see the occasional panama; mostly tourists I suspect. I received a couple of nice comments on my favorite Borso straw this morning while running errands and prowling old town Alexandria where I bought a nice Harris tweed flat cap that should see some use this fall.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Come to think of it, I probably would wear fedoras a little more if I moved to the East Coast, especially one of the more populated areas. Lately, I've been on a sort of country/western kick, wearing an Open Road and wide-brimmed straw Sunbody more often these days. I reserve my best fedora, a vintage grey Stetson, for church sometimes. The Akubra Fed IV Indiana Jones styled one gets worn on hikes a lot. I'm happy living on the West Coast, though. The temperatures down here in coastal Southern California are great year-round, but it doesn't rain as often as I'd like it to.

Hopefully, the transition for you will be smooth! Enjoy your new surroundings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy