Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detroit in ruins

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
This is what I like to see. Gives one a sense of hope and relieves that heartsick feeling.
http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=26555694&GT1=35009

Click the little red arrow to the right of the picture to start the before and after slide show. Being that i love a good kitchen, I dig on what they did with this one.

Cheers!

Dan

That's heartwarming to see! I really like what they have done with the place - the decor is so cosy and inviting - lovely finish.....

rue

Watched the Super Bowl last night and one commercial stood out. Thought those of you who participated in or just read this thread would appreciate seeing it. It's a commercial, but it's so true, and one I found very moving.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7dWDv7nqi0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It didn't work when I clicked on it, so here:
[video=youtube;7dWDv7nqi0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dWDv7nqi0c[/video]
That gave me chills.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Detroit is still in hell though......the "hell and back" quote in the ad is far too soon, when everything is still in ruins. Certainly not back, but good to see something being made in Detroit again. It's what the city, and the country needs.

We need to make things again.

NakedGhost

New in Town
You know what's even more heartbreaking than these photos? Growing up here, hearing stories about how beautiful and alive the city once was. I've never known downtown as anything other than an interesting juxtaposition of extreme decay and beautiful details. The city will never return to its former glory, despite the hope some people still have. There's some chance for improvement, but I'm all for evicting the trash and doing something more useful with the land.

NakedGhost

New in Town
Oh and Eminem is definitely NOT actually from Detroit, though I understand why they use him as a face for the city. He grew up in the suburbs just like the rest of us, and now he lives in the nicer half of my town.
For the record, Kid Rock and the White Stripes are from the 'burbs too ;P

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
The rot isn't much different here in Jax. We have lost 90% of our historic buildings in the last 10 years due to mayors who are in the developers back pocket. These grand gems designed by the likes of Klutho spanned the years from the 1915-1940's and now lost forever, turned into parking lots noone uses because there's nothing downtown to go to. On the bright spot some neighborhoods are going through rehab/gentrification, Riverside, Avondale and & Springfield. I'm saving money to buy a historic house in Springfield and then fix it up.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... due to mayors who are in the developers back pocket. ...

Hi, this is a common theme through out the country right now. Wichita seems to spend more on our downtown than the other 90% of the city. The funny part to me, is that the downtown USED to be the social hub of the city for all high school age kids, cruising Douglas Avenue. The EPA decided that there was too much pollution, so they closed it off in various ways in the mid 1980's. Now everyone is bent because it's not a booming place.

Later

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Hi, this is a common theme through out the country right now. Wichita seems to spend more on our downtown than the other 90% of the city. The funny part to me, is that the downtown USED to be the social hub of the city for all high school age kids, cruising Douglas Avenue. The EPA decided that there was too much pollution, so they closed it off in various ways in the mid 1980's. Now everyone is bent because it's not a booming place.

Later
That's because the nerd's in high school who were picked upon while cruising now work for the EPA and are getting payback. bahahahahhahahahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21