Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing One's Own Style

Ccc

New in Town
How did you decide which era or eras to adapt as your own vintage style?

What motivated you?

Are you a "purist" or do you incorporate various elements to make your own vintage style?

I'm trying to avoid comments such as, "Why are you wearing that old thing?"lol

Yours in vintage,

Ccc

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I always had a love for the old movies and when I stumbled over my first pin up book about 3 years ago I was getting fully ignited by the fashions and the people. I started to collect vintage inspired outfits and started my work as a pin up about 1 year after this discovery. The more pin up I did the more clothes I got me and the more I got sucked into retro world and got to know more and more people involved in it. As a person with a female figure that isn´t starved looking I love how the fashion of 40s, 50s and 30s accentuate my figure. I just love looking like a diva/vamp eventhough I got to admit I have no diva-attitude I´m a rather simple country-girl personality.

I got to say that modern fashion doesn´t make me wanna buy something so Hardly any modern stuff (exept for cute repros) find their way in my wardrobe nowadays.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I had always loved the 1940s and wanted to learn to swing dance. When I finally did so, I of course needed a wardrobe to dance in--and when I tried on my first vintage outfit I was hooked! As I studied the eras more and more, the style became more deeply embedded in me. Eventually, my entire wardrobe consisted of vintage and reproduction clothing. I also got into pinup modeling about two years ago, which only fueled the fire as I was studying old photos and paintings for inspiration. It is a passion of mine to have my pictures and day-to-day looks be as authentic as possible :)

Originally, I was interested in the 1940s-50s. However, as I collected clothing and read up on the eras, my focus turned to the late 1930s-early 1940s. There is something about the fashions and overall style from this time that appeals to me. I will wear looks fom the mid-30s-mid 50s as they flatter my hourglass figure very well (much better than the shapeless modern styles of today), but it is that span of about five years that I simply adore!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm pretty much the same era as Jitterbugdoll :) , and it's funny -- I didn't so much decide on it as it decided on me. My grandmother's house was a kind of place where time had pretty much stopped in 1945 -- and she tended to look that way herself, all the time I was growing up. So I grew up with the look of that era being a familiar part of my life -- and I guess I've just always identified with that era as the natural course of things.

Physically, I think the styles of the late '30s - early '40s suit me -- they help to camouflage my figure flaws (small bust, middle-aged waist) rather well when worn with the proper foundations. And when I look good, I feel good -- and that's all the rationale I need!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My main motivation for dressing 30's/40's really materialized when I went to the Queen Mary last year. I saw all the young ladies dressed in that era, and I just new that I wanted clothes like that. I've also always been a fan of old movies.
As for Edwardian, that happened one day when I bought a dress that was Edwardian that I fell in love with. Some of my favorite movies are about that era, and I've always loved the dress, but I never imagined that I would actually find dresses from that era. I have only had the pleasure of dressing from this era a few times, for it takes more work. I am in the process of making some dresses and a hat.
So, I guess I'm sort of a mish mash of style. Depending on my mood. But, the addiction really set in last November, thanks to the ladies of this web-site. Thanks Ladies:eusa_clap

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Daisy, I didn't know you were making a hat too!! You have to post pics! (cue hat obscession...)

Let's see... day to day I guess I've been described as "bohemian" mixing different elements from vintage and modern to create a look. I'll put a vintage skirt with a t-shirt and funky jewelry, or a 30's jacket with a blouse and jeans.

When I go all out vintage I go all out- I am fascinated by the history of dress and costume, so I absorb old magazines and have a terrible addiciton to Amazon for costume history books. My favorite era in the 20th century other than Edwardian (1901 until about the end of WWI is what I generally refer to that as, though I know it's not historically correct) is the 1930's and most of what I've learned is from studying old movies, reading, and my ever growing stack of 1930's Mccall magazines (someday I'll have every one from the 30's, I swear!). I'm also a seamstress, so I collect vintage patterns, which can help distinguish not only the year of a specific look, but cuts to look for in modern clothing that are in line with period dress. I picked the 1930's as my favorite of the "Golden Era" is because to me it is the most aesthetically pleasing, suits my figure, and because I find it's an absolutely fascinating time costume history wise. Class lines were being blurred by ingenious dressmakers, Hollywood was projecting a glittering and perfect image to a world pulled down by the Great Depression, clothing was sexy and showed a woman's form without corsetry (although they did have girdles) for the first time since Napoleanic France... Just all around interesting to me :)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Hmm... I guess it started when I was five years old and went to the premiere of "That's Entertainment" with my father. Those outfits! That dancing! I've been hooked ever since wearing my grandmother's fox stole to kindergarten. Taking classes in vintage dress and textiles, etc. Buying only used furniture and housewares at least forty years old, etc.

But I'm kinda shy and didn't like to draw attention with my clothes, but I've been coming out of my shell--not only buying such stuff but wearing it too! Hoorah!

It's very rare that I go all out except when going swing dancing, but I incorporate vintage pieces into my wardrobe almost every day--whether its a more beaded sweater or a piece of bakelite jewelry or doing my hair in very simple side rolls.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren Henline said:
Daisy, I didn't know you were making a hat too!! You have to post pics! (cue hat obscession...):)

I just purchased an unfinished hat body at the begining of the week.I'm hoping to have it by next week. I also ordered ribbon for bows, vintage inspired flowers, and some tulle. I'm psyched to start, but a little nervous too. The hat body that I bought has a smaller crown, so I have to build it up with batting and then cover it with fabric. I'm worried that it won't look right, but I'll give it a shot. I've got directions from on-line, and they are pretty detailes so hopefully it will come out right. Now I just have to figure out how to get such a large item all the way to California. I found a very cool vintage hat case, from Edwardian era, so it's definitely big enough. But, I was thinking of contacting the Queen Mary to see if I could ship the hat, and they could hold if for me when I get there. Then I could ship it home the last day of our trip. I think this might be the easiest way to get it there. As you know, from your hat experience, they are pretty darn large!

P

Paul

For me this photo sums up what fashion history is all about.
It is not the most glamorous or feminine outfit that they could have worn.

Today more people would object to the haunting aspect than even notice the cloths that they are wearing cloths, for the 1920's these ladies not only haunting on their own but wearing a long jumper (before Channel) with shorts and stocking I suspect would have turned heads. Then changing into something different for the evening feminine possibility dancing the night away with the Charleston is what fashion history is all about.

Especially when you realize that 10 years on in the 30's they would have a completely different style of fashion so much more glamorous.
I have to say how I admire the ladies here for bringing fashion history to life by wearing the cloths and keeping the little things alive which would be lost in a museum display like how to do the correct hair and makeup
For me the most interesting periods are the early ones because they are so different for what we see on the street today.

flapper.jpg
PS Daisy
I am looking foward to seeing your Edwardian outfit!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For me, choosing an era (1940s to 1950s) was not just about the styles, but also the ears that are connected with it.

As far as clothing, the high-ness of seperates, so the speak (skirts, blouses, cardigans, etc) and the fullness of the skirtson dresses hooked me.

But the politics of times earlier than that, through their clothes, I choose not to pay homage to.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=9653

This thread covered a bit of your question.

And welcome!

LD

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I feel like I'm still in the process of developing my sense of style...though I know what I like and don't like. It seems over the last year I've crossed the line of no longer feeling comfortable in 20's something clothing and wanting to have a more 'mature' attire. I don't plan on having everything vintage...but I tend to wear mostly slacks, blouses, and dresses. My favorite eras for clothing is the 40's and 50's. Lately, I've been trying to train myself to be more detail oriented; I tend just to look at a picture or person who looks great and think, 'wow, that looks good'...but don't take in what is was about them that made me think that.

Naama

Practically Family
I've always been rather creative and experimented a lot with different styles (well, I was into the gothic szene, and there, fashion was almost like a competition ;) ). And since I'm interested in movies and movie history it influenced me a lot. I tried everything from the victorian era to the 60's (well, not authentic, for sure). Somehow I just got stuck with the 20's and early 30's because fashion then wasn't that strict and to me, it just seems more fun! And also, my figure is so very 20's, not skinny but straight. But I'm not a purist, I tried, but I just can't, but I always look very 20's/30's.

Naama

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
How did you decide which era or eras to adapt as your own vintage style? What motivated you?

I too had a deep love for the classic films at a very early age (5 or 6 years old), and didn't really attempt a vintage style until I was in my mid twenties.
I started reading tons of bios on silent screen stars and loved Louise Brooks. It was then that I chopped off my locks for the short bob & died my hair black for that Brooksie look. I then decorated my cottage in a very 1920s inspired look. It was the first time I began to feel as if I had found my niche. I didn't have the funds to dress up in all out flapper regalia, however I just thought of myself as a modern day brooksie, and worked my hair & makeup into my personal fashion at the time.

After a year I began to let my hair grow out....keeping the bangs. I met my husband who was then in a rockabilly/blues band. He introduced me to a new way of life that he himself was just falling into. Everything was very retro, and of course the goddess of this lifestyle is Bettie Page. Many would comment on my Bettie look, however I wasn't trying to go for it. I never had to work real hard on my "bettie" hair/look....it seemed easy to me. I began to buy lots of modern dresses that had 1950's inspired look to them (pattern, cut, etc)

It has been wonderful to let myself become the person I always was inside, but didn't realize. I had many different looks in my days of late teens & early twenties, trying to find what was my style. (dare I admit!)

In the early 1990's I wore lots of black, black tights, with doc martins (goth/romantic)....a 1960's hippie style (that did NOT work...) so I tweaked it to 1960s mod....and then I came into 1920s inspired look. I just feel that the 1940's & 1950's are truly more where I stand for my own personal fashion faves. The styles compliment me more. I WISH I could pull off the flapper look...I just love the passion from that era, but it's not meant to be for me. I really want to get the pincurl look down. I LOVE those waves.

Okay, now that I have written a book about my metamorphis I will leave this alone. This was a great question, and I have enjoyed reading the other replies as well!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jazzzbaby said:
How did you decide which era or eras to adapt as your own vintage style? What motivated you?

I decided on the 40's and 50's because I instantly fell in love with the clothes. When I first met MK and found out that he was into the vintage scene, I thought it would be fun to check it out but really didn't think there would be anything that would catch my interest. I guess I thought of vintage as either being 70's flower child type outfits or clothes that are made out of entirely of polyester. I was suprised at how beautiful and feminine 40's outfits were and instantly became a fan and wanted to learn as much as possible. I've also always been a fan of Audrey Hepburn and have loved everything about her.
Like I said earlier, I'm no longer in my 20's and certain looks just don't seem appropriate anymore and my tastes have been changing greatly. To dress vintage or vintage inspired, I've found is setting yourself on another level of class than what I frequently see out there. The respect it seems to command is refreshing and I find I look more feminine with having more clothes on than what the style is out there right now.

Rosie

One Too Many
Well, I originally was trying to emulate the style of Lucille Ball from "I Love Lucy". I then began to experiment with not only clothes from the '50s but from the '40s. This style just suits me. I'm not a purist though, my style tends to be 50-ish clothes, 40-ish hair, 40s- 50-ish accessories, it's a bit of a mixture but works for me.

Brooksie

One Too Many
My style

Hi its Brooksie again,

I just thought I would share with you my personal style... it is the 1920's! I love the flapper look. Everything about it suits me to a T. My hair is naturally very dark and straight and it does a Bob better than any other style on the planet, and my body has a very flapper-esqe shape to it.

As far a clothes go I like to combine vintage clothes with modern day clothing and of course I love the reproductions that are out there. It is getting more and more difficult to find actual 1920's clothing though, but durring the 60's they actually had a very small window of time when the
1920's style of clothing came back around again but of course it was modified... but it is always fun to find these sorts of things also to add to my collection.

What I would really love to find is an original cloche style of hat from the
1920's, I do have a modified one that looks pretty authentic though but I am always on the look out.

If anyone is curious about what I look like... I look a lot like Louise Brooks (no joking) and when I figure out how to work my digital camera I will post my picture.

Naama

Practically Family
Brooksie said:
Hi its Brooksie again,

I just thought I would share with you my personal style... it is the 1920's! I love the flapper look. Everything about it suits me to a T. My hair is naturally very dark and straight and it does a Bob better than any other style on the planet, and my body has a very flapper-esqe shape to it.

As far a clothes go I like to combine vintage clothes with modern day clothing and of course I love the reproductions that are out there. It is getting more and more difficult to find actual 1920's clothing though, but durring the 60's they actually had a very small window of time when the
1920's style of clothing came back around again but of course it was modified... but it is always fun to find these sorts of things also to add to my collection.

What I would really love to find is an original cloche style of hat from the
1920's, I do have a modified one that looks pretty authentic though but I am always on the look out.

If anyone is curious about what I look like... I look a lot like Louise Brooks (no joking) and when I figure out how to work my digital camera I will post my picture.

:eek:fftopic: I know but:
Hey brooksie! Nice to see another 20's girl on here! Were rather rare I think(?)
I know how you feel, it's a pain to find wearable 20's clothing that doesn't cost a fortuen!
I think the only stupid thing about the 60's is that the material is often rather synthetic. For this summer there where a lot stuff with this 60' flaire to them (and I'm talking more mod like) but they also used synthetic material :( That's stupid, because a lot of it could be mistaken for 20's stuff..... A
Anyway, I'm curious how you got your hairdresser doing your bob in a 20's style, because I really want a bob as well, I already have sort of a bob (without bangs and not layered, I did it myself :D ) but I'm afraid I'll end up looking all emo..... For the hat, go to ebay! I'm sure you'll find one there!

Naama

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I'm more like Lauren. I guess people call me bohemian-looking. I tend to mix vintage with modern, and I have a lot of modern pieces that copy the vintage shapes that look best on me: little jackets with nipped waists, A-line skirts, princess-seamed dresses. I started collecting vintage in high school. I don't really know what started it; my great-aunt gave me a pair of 50s dresses one day and I loved them and how no one else wore anything like them. Later my figure decided what it was going to look like and I realized I'd never be lanky, but 1940s dresses are particularly flattering on me. I'm starting to suspect that 30s dresses would be good as well. I love the ones on Marsha Hunt in The Way We Wore, so I'm going to get some 30s patterns and try one of those.

Honestly, I'm really not a purist. I love the look of dyed black hair and tattoos worn with prim, vintage clothes. The juxtaposition is darling. I don't get any contrast like that, and I'm very jealous. I just look like I stepped out of a time machine. I'm just a cheery, round-faced girl next door type, but I really want to look like a glamorous Bad Girl. (I want to be Jessica Rabbit, but I'm just Anne of Green Gables.)

Oh! I'm going to make an Anne of Green Gables costume!

I think Lucy was one of the best-dressed women I've ever seen. I never noticed when I watched reruns of the show when I was small, but I recently saw an episode and was just floored by the exquisite clothes she was wearing. They must have cost a fortune! She swept into the room in a pair of light satin capri pants and a strapless top of the same material underneath a flowing black chiffon housecoat covered in beads with a little nipped waist. My jaw just hit the floor.

Rosie

One Too Many
I have to agree with you on the Lucy thing. That's what struck me, when I was a kid and saw her like you said, I never paid any attention to her clothes. But when I was a teenager, I was watching the show after school and I remember the outfit, she was wearing a pair of black capri pants with black ballet slippers and what my mom called a lounging outfit, it was black, beaded, nipped waist and came out like a circle skirt but was open in front allowing you to see the capri pants. OH!!! I was hooked, I NEEDED glamour like that! I've been vying after it ever since.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Agreed on Lucy -- I watched that show every afternoon after "Superman" (in which Lois Lane was another early inspiration), and never failed to be amazed by the outfits Mrs. Ricardo was wearing.

Although, I gotta say, it did occur to me to wonder how she could afford to dress so well when they had to rent an apartment from the likes of Fred and Ethel Mertz. Not exactly a Park Avenue kind of place, after all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen