Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Developing One's Own Style

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
BettyValentine said:
Oh! I'm going to make an Anne of Green Gables costume!

Oooh! Anne is one of my heroines and I've been wanting to make a costume like the one in the movie she has with the little vest for ages. You have to post pics when you're done!!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
Agreed on Lucy -- I watched that show every afternoon after "Superman" (in which Lois Lane was another early inspiration), and never failed to be amazed by the outfits Mrs. Ricardo was wearing.

Although, I gotta say, it did occur to me to wonder how she could afford to dress so well when they had to rent an apartment from the likes of Fred and Ethel Mertz. Not exactly a Park Avenue kind of place, after all!

Haha! You're totally right! They probably lived there because Lucy spent all their $ on couture. And she looked like she stepped out of Vogue even when Ricky was just a band leader; it didn't just happen when he got into movies.

I can't imagine the thousands you'd have to pay to look like that now.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Naama

Naama said:
:eek:fftopic: I know but:
Hey brooksie! Nice to see another 20's girl on here! Were rather rare I think(?)
I know how you feel, it's a pain to find wearable 20's clothing that doesn't cost a fortuen!
I think the only stupid thing about the 60's is that the material is often rather synthetic. For this summer there where a lot stuff with this 60' flaire to them (and I'm talking more mod like) but they also used synthetic material :( That's stupid, because a lot of it could be mistaken for 20's stuff..... A
Anyway, I'm curious how you got your hairdresser doing your bob in a 20's style, because I really want a bob as well, I already have sort of a bob (without bangs and not layered, I did it myself :D ) but I'm afraid I'll end up looking all emo..... For the hat, go to ebay! I'm sure you'll find one there!

Naama

Brooksie Here, Sorry my response is waaay off the original topic!

Just getting back to you about the bob question.... I have been wearing a bob hairstyle most of my life, the first time I had a bob haircut I was when I was about 19 and now I am 38. I have grown my hair out a couple different times about down to bra strap length but always end up cutting it off into a bob... as far as hairstylists go - I have been a licensed cosmetologist since 1988, I have done hairstyling, facials and make-up for stage and photography as you can see for many years, then I went on to doing outside sales for Aveda proffesional salon products, I went from salon to salon selling products and I got to know everybody in the industry (localy) and I was able to see first hand who the good hairstylists were especially because I am license my self.
My suggestion to you is to go and observe a few salons and find a stylist you are comfortable with and ask them if you have the right hair texture and face shape for the bob style and if you do then go for the gusto and get those Louise Brooks Bangs you have always wanted. After you have it done make sure you really play up your make-up in the vintage style! You will be surprised by the compliments you will get!

Brooksie

pigeon toe

One Too Many
as of right now, my personal style is less vintage than i would like it to be. i generally dress in 50's/early 60's attire, a lot of jeans and blouses. im an art major at UCLA right now, and its just impractical to get all dolled up when im going to go to a messy studio class.

my main motivation for dressing vintage, besides the fact that i love the fashion and history, is because it just suits my body type and im way more comfortable in it than modern clothes. i have an hourglass figure, and with a 10 inch difference between my hips and waist, modern stuff just does not flatter my figure. nor do i find any of it very attractive anyway!

the one problem i have with dressing vintage is that i dont have too much patience! ive got a difficult, thick & wavy head of hair to work with, and i dont care much for makeup other than red lipstick, and can only be bothered to do my brows and re-dye my hair when ive go the money, which isnt often! so i feel like a very disheveled vintage girl all the time!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well welcome pigeon toe!

Im an artist too, and last semester I did my passion, relief printing! I was in the print lab 10 hrs a day, and Id wear vintage there. :) I couldnt help it! Thats what aprons are for!

But I do understand the need to be careful of what you wear. This is the place to get all the good info on all that is cool and vintage!

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm totally with you girls. When I was doing my fashion design degree it wasn't as glamourous as people thought it was. We'd come rolled out of bed in whatever just because there was so much work involved! And being on your feet all day working isn't fun in high heels, and bending to precarious positions to check fit isn't fun in a skirt lol Mostly the girls who liked dressing were marketing majors because it seems that was more study and less gruntwork :rolleyes:

oh, and I'm definately an artist too. I love to paint in acylics and get my hands dirty (and invariably my whole body covered in whatever I'm working with) in meduims other than fabric and thead :)

Naama

Practically Family
Nice to see so many artists on here! ;)
You know Lauren, I was in a school where half of it was focusing on fashion, the other art. And the fashion girls where all dolled up, all the time! With the most uncomfortable looking shoes I've ever seen!
I mainly do photographs and since I'm my own model I also have an excuse to get all dolled up and to try a lot of different styles :rolleyes:

And thanks to you Brooksie!

Naama

carolinagirl

New in Town
I was inspired by pictures of my grandmother and her sisters from the 1940s. They were all so beautiful.

I also love the movies from the 1930s-50s. Everyone seemed so glamorous!

Plus, if you buy vintage, it is highly unlikely you will see yourself on the street!

Rosie

One Too Many
Artist here too. While I was in college, I was kind of going through this ethnic/goth thing so, getting my clothes dirty wasn't a big huge thing. But, like Lady Day says, you can get aprons and I even found some smart looking vintage smocks to work in though admittedly, when I do paint now, I usually wear a banged up hole-y pair of capris and this t shirt that was white many moons ago but is now encrusted with all kinds of acrylic. lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Rosie said:
Artist here too. While I was in college, I was kind of going through this ethnic/goth thing so, getting my clothes dirty wasn't a big huge thing. But, like Lady Day says, you can get aprons and I even found some smart looking vintage smocks to work in though admittedly, when I do paint now, I usually wear a banged up hole-y pair of capris and this t shirt that was white many moons ago but is now encrusted with all kinds of acrylic. lol

i would love to do the apron thing, but my main issue is getting up at the ass crack of dawn everyday for work, and then having to walk all over campus! i usually end up looking totally disheveled within 5 minutes of leaving the house (i got to find a better hairspray)! so its better not to reach for the stars and just settle with a blouse, jeans and some bobby pins!

dollfaced

Familiar Face
developing my style

When i was little one of my inspirations aside from classic movies was Vogue magazine if you open up a Vogue Magazine many of the pages are vintage inspired or reproductions of vintage fashions makeup and the glamour and the mistery of the woman just amazed me at the time and still does i would cut out the pictures and try to reproduce the looks.It wasin't until about 1999 i made the complete change i sported the Betty Page hair and even started making repoductive Betty Page costumes and taking amatour photos posing like her i went threw the Louise Brooks faze for a few years so i feel sometimes i was born at the wrong time. I am now just me have a Gene Tierney look going mainly because my hair works well styled like hers to one side dyed brownish black shoulder length. I love anything vintage from 1930's to even the 80's but i am mainly dressed 1940's all the time when i am in the mood i can be listening to Tom Jones and be stuck in the 60's for a minute or dress 80's and go digging threw my closet for all my bangle braclets while listening to Blondie! But my fasination is the 1930's 1940's that i truely love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou