Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DFW washing away?

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Ah yes, non-stop rain this week. As long as the hail and tornadoes and super high winds stay away, I'll be fine. I must say my grass is the greenest it's been. Last summer, we didn't get this much rain and had more drought-like weather. The lakes need the rain as most have been at record low levels. I really feel for any of the June brides who had outdoor weddings planned, since June is a popular time for people to marry.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
19 Inches?

We just had the wettest June in history in Sydney. We got most of the years fall but 19 inches aichihuahua! Take care all you Texan FLs!

Novella

Practically Family
I flew back to the U.S. from London on Tuesday, and unfortunately I had to change flights at the DFW airport. My flight was cancelled due to the weather and I ended up spending a not so fun night on the airport floor. Luckily I managed to get a seat on a Wednesday morning flight - I have a lot of sympathy for the tons of people who ended up stuck longer at the airport due to the bad weather! (And for everyone who lives there!)

Sunny

One Too Many
It's been plenty crazy around here. The storms have certainly made it a challenge with the extensive landscaping we're doing at my house. Latest discovery: It doesn't matter how much sand you mix into the clay, when it's wet it's still heavy. I re-filled a trench on Sunday - yes, re-filling, not even digging it - and my back and shoulders were sore for the next two days.

It took one of my brother's co-workers five hours to get home Tuesday night because Highway 114 was flooded. On the commute this morning I heard it was again, flooded both ways. Most of this area really is upland prairie, but there are enough creeks, lakes, and low spots to have plenty of flooding. I'd imagine flooding will be worse downstream, especially on the Brazos, since it gets so much flatter a one to two hundred miles south and east.

I do want to add that averages, whether temperature or rainfall, are just that: averages of the highs and the lows. Like ITG pointed out, we were in a serious drought for the last two years; this year should balance the figures out nicely, if not the crops.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
It was pretty bad in UK 3 days ago too. We had the worst ever recorded rainfall in certain parts of England. There are lakes now where open fields were, towns and cities have become like Venice, and all surface transport cars, train, buses, were halted in parts of Yorkshire and the Midlands. Up to 4 inch of rain fell in 12 hours.And they are forecasting for it to be as bad again on Saturday.
I know it doesn't rate anything like the flood devastation of New Orleans a few years back, but for the little old UK it's quite dramatic!
Link with video
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news?articleid=2980894

texasgirl

One Too Many
I've lived in the area for about 23 years, and I don't remember ever having this much rain. Although the nice part is it's keeping the temperature down. I don't think we've even had very many days in the 90s, and I don't think we've even hit 100 yet, so that part is nice. I did run in Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday for about 30 minutes. It was fine when I entered, not a drop in sight. When I left, I had to walk through 6 in. of water to get to my car. The ground is just so saturated there's no were for the water to go. Thanks for thinking of us, hopefully we won't float away :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Novella said:
I flew back to the U.S. from London on Tuesday, and unfortunately I had to change flights at the DFW airport. My flight was cancelled due to the weather and I ended up spending a not so fun night on the airport floor. Luckily I managed to get a seat on a Wednesday morning flight - I have a lot of sympathy for the tons of people who ended up stuck longer at the airport due to the bad weather! (And for everyone who lives there!)

I drove my family out to DFW this morning and they left for sunny Utah, I haven't called yet to see how they're doing. I wonder if their flight was delayed, or if they've even left DFW yet. We heard about 114 on the radio and took 183, we were expecting serious backups, but it wasn't too bad.

I hate to say anything bad about it because of the drought, but goodness me this is a lot of rain and I just looked at the forecast for the next 10 days and there's a chance of rain every day. :p I do love me some rain though, my dog does not because she hates water and I'm not taking her out for a walk in the rain where she can get all smelly when we get back. I wonder why dogs smell bad wet...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, today I went to lunch with some friends. While eating, it began pouring. Upon leaving it had stopped. I'm sure it'll start back again in a few hours.

Oh and I'm not sure why dogs smell bad when wet.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Nineteen inches of rainfall overnight? :eek: Up here around Seattle, that's no big deal, but down there....

Actually even here in Houston we get more inches of rain than Seattle, we just get it in sudden downpours all at once and not spread out evenly over 200 days.:(
FloodedCarAndRoadSign.jpg

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
We have had so much rain here they have closed Lake Waco. Can you imagine a lake closing? All the boat ramps are flooded out, as are the camp grounds. The Brazos river is just about to overflow onto the side walks that run the length that goes through town. I fertilized my yard this past spring, coupled with the rain, it needs cutting about every 3 to 4 days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy