Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Dave - Buco J-21

ace12

New in Town
Out riding with my dog!

beed3480f417f8ad2d29906c25ed3bcf.jpg

Nice pair of boots A-1, the Iron Ranger?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Erm, that zip's stopped rather short, isn't it? Not a biggie, but I thought the lapel was meant to zip to the top.

A-1

One Too Many
@sloan. It varies in the originals I've seen. In most of them it wasn't done to the top.

In some of the repros it's done to the top. I like both though I think it looks better like it is in mine.

I must say that I'm really happy with how the jacket develops and how it's been holding up to my use.
The Bill Kelso already had two rips in the lining, one broken seam and one broken zip in this time.

I must say that most of my "high quality" goods are not holding up to their promise of ruggedness:
All my raw denim went to the tailor for repair after one month the latest.
Alden and Viberg boots needed a heel repair after only two months.
One pair of Vibergs even had a split lip sole after three weeks.
I mean those are all things that could be fixed but still it's quite annoying, spending a lot of money on a product that is said to last longer than the standard industry good. I have found that most of the time the ruggedness is an empty promise. At least that's what my personal experience shows.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
old world ruggedness is an image to sell, doesn't really mean they would be as rugged as they appear to be when compared to the latest outdoor, military or working gears, but those old world stuff probably look better than dorky purpose oriented gears of the latest technology :D

BobJ

Practically Family
"I must say that most of my "high quality" goods are not holding up to their promise of ruggedness"

If you really want something rugged, and old school, try Filson. I've had several of their jackets, pants and boots, and put them to harsh outdoor use in Alaska, Montana, and the rainy Oregon coast ...and never had a single issue. My first Filson coat was a red and black plaid double-mac my wife gave me when we lived in Nome Alaska in 1985. It is still as warm, comfy and good looking now, as it was then.

^^ Internet pic - not me. My red beard is now gray.

BobJ

Practically Family
"...but have you ever been to the North of Germany? It's as flat as they imagined earth to be in the Middle Ages."

I see, hmm...

2521d06fe5f3f3c0fdc93bd5567da6ae.jpg

A-1

One Too Many
@BobJ
I have two Filson jackets and two vests. And yeah, they are the only products I haven't had any issues with. I really like Filson stuff. But it's very expensive over here.

The photo with the mountains is taken in the Italian Dolomites.

Here is the North of Germany:
62ed50b49b28e9bf61ecb0489456a891.jpg

BobJ

Practically Family
I figured it was something like that, I was just messing with ya. Those Dolomites sure are beautiful. And let me go against the mainstream here... the brown BK jacket really is nice and fits you well, but now that I know you so deeply :D, I think the DD Buco is more YOU. It's cooler, has more character, and isn't so bland and conservative. I hope you keep it as your only leather jacket, wear the living daylights out of it, and let us see what it looks like in a year or two.

Reactions: A-1

A-1

One Too Many
Hey @BobJ,
That is exactly the way I think about the BK jacket. It’s nice. But not for me. To me it really looks conservative and I don’t like that. Especially the colour is not mine to wear. Thanks for finding the right words for me!

I’ll keep you posted on the development of the leather. Have been wearing the DD very day since I got it about a month ago. It’s still heavy (not gonna change, I guess) but feels way more shaped to my body already.

Plan is to send some photos in a week or two. The brown comes through in a lot of different areas and it looks great I think. It looks vintage without looking cheap. Very substantial. This is my first experience with Shinki HH and I imagined it to be a lot like the Liberty HH. But it is far away from the flappyness and light-weightness of the BK leather.

Will be sending more photos as soon as I’ve taken some.

Peace

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is my first experience with Shinki HH and I imagined it to be a lot like the Liberty HH. But it is far away from the flappyness and light-weightness of the BK leather.

Exactly! I suspect BK's Victory HH is closer to Shinki's weight than the lighter Liberty HH.

A-1

One Too Many
I have zero experience with the Victory HH.
I think I would like the Liberty way more in a seal brown or black. The russet just isn't for me.
Maybe I'll dye the jacket...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just put it on eBay without "best offer" (that just invites mugs to try and lowball you) and see if it moves. Every jacket I've posted has eventually moved for what I thought it was worth. Just keep in mind and account for the fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner