Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Dave J-100 Buco

thor

Call Me a Cab
His USAAF crusher caps are awesome! I have a Luxenberg in khaki and a Flighter in OD; superb!

dadonn

Familiar Face
Being tall, I personally can't stand a jacket that's too short. I have a buddy who is also 5'11" and look stellar in shorter jackets. That said, he is relatively short limbed and somewhat thick built which helps. You don't appear to be short limbed nor particularly thick built but I have to say, the fit and length of your jacket look spot on to me. From my own experience, I know you'd feel significantly more comfortable if the jacket was longer but don't let that deter you from wearing this one...it just might grow on you. ;)

Dave

dadonn

Familiar Face
Oh...I spoke to Diamond Dave the other day asking about shinki. That $930 price was a one-off "screaming deal," as he put it and that shinki jackets will start at around $1300. Given the price of the Himel Kensington track jacket/cafe racer that I saw for $3,024 online, he's still an amazing deal. I'm thinking of getting one trying to come up with something now that I have a cafe racer.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Oh...I spoke to Diamond Dave the other day asking about shinki. That $930 price was a one-off "screaming deal," as he put it and that shinki jackets will start at around $1300. Given the price of the Himel Kensington track jacket/cafe racer that I saw for $3,024 online, he's still an amazing deal. I'm thinking of getting one trying to come up with something now that I have a cafe racer.

That makes sense. He did say prices would go up due to the leather he was using. I know he wasn't always using Shinki, but I agree that even the increased price seems quite fair compared to what other similar makers charge.

dadonn

Familiar Face
I think so and you should pat yourself on the back because you got an outstanding deal. I look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing pics of your shinki racer.

Cheers,

Dave

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think so and you should pat yourself on the back because you got an outstanding deal. I look forward to hearing and hopefully seeing pics of your shinki racer.

Cheers,

Dave

I a m over the moon about the deal I got. I think I have been talking about it too much! But I can't help it haha.

dadonn

Familiar Face
Talk away. That's what the lounge is for. Besides, if you get a screaming deal, I think it is incumbent upon you to scream. Not sure if that's an official rule or not. Tact and diplomacy have no place in their realm of great deals on jackets.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Himel does not sell his standard Kensington for $3k. Rather, I think he charges $1,550, or thereabouts: http://www.himelbros.com/Himel-Brothers-Leather-Jackets/ . RMC is a tad higher. There are e-bay resellers asking considerably more, but you can go straight to the source and do much better.

Congrats again Dude . . . $930 is indeed a screaming deal.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Talk away. That's what the lounge is for. Besides, if you get a screaming deal, I think it is incumbent upon you to scream. Not sure if that's an official rule or not. Tact and diplomacy have no place in their realm of great deals on jackets.

Haha fair point. I'm sure I am not the first or last person to get a great deal on a great jacket! Plus, I think DD deserves some press here considering what great customer service I received from him and the great deal he is, even with the price increases.

ProteinNerd

I've had both jackets for a few weeks now and thought I'd post some pics of them both for comparison.

As you can see there is quite a significant length difference between the two jackets. approx 3 inches.

Here are some fit pics, apologies for the very serious facial expressions and the general poor quality of the photos but they are better than nothing.

Overall I like both but the longer version is definitely what I had in mind when I ordered and it is the length I had originally specified. I'm still undecided as to whether to keep or sell the short version. I change my mind every day. Its a great jacket, fits beautifully but I just don't know if I would ever reach for it over the longer version. If someone is interested in making a serious offer, I'd be open to it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Both look great, the shorter one is still fine length-wise. I guess it depends whether you're happy tucking your t-shirt in.[huh]

GregO

One of the Regulars
I think they both work well. The shorter jacket just looks like a more standard cafe racer because of the removal of the tell-tale J-100 bottom zipper gap/flare/longer length, and the longer jacket is more in line with what an actual J-100 looks like because it keeps the traditional J-100 design cues. Length aside, they both fit very well and suit your frame.

I guess if it was me, I would be trying to decide if I should keep both, or move one on, as I wonder if I would be likely to wear both.

IXL

One Too Many
Keep 'em both, the long one for riding and the shorter one for just knocking around. I'm pretty free and easy with other peoples money.....

Blackadder

Buco of RMC used to make a shorter one called J-57.
img_0.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Both look fine and wearable but it's funny - I think the short one looks too short and the long one too long. Maybe it's the photo. The pronounced flaring on the long one might be the problem for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy