Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diamond Dave J-100 Buco

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Guys,

I know DD doesn't really frequent TFL now but I thought I'd pass on my recent experience with him. I ordered one of his Buco J-100 reproductions. I had seen a really positive review from one of the other members here who raved about both the jacket and the lengths DD went too to get his jacket right. Sounded like someone I wanted to do business with and the jacket looked amazing.

During the discussions about fit etc the subject of length came up. The standard 27.5 inches seemed a bit long to me and I said I'd prefer a slightly shorter jacket, maybe around 26 inches. Dave said for my height he thought 25 inches would be spot on, we went with that.

The jacket arrived about 3-4 weeks later and while it was absolutely gorgeous and fits my 8-9 inch drop perfectly. It was, however, much more cropped than I was expecting at 23 inches long! It was a very different look than what I wanted and as much as I didn't want to be, I was disappointed.

I sent a few emails to Dave clarifying why it was so much shorter than I was expecting and it came down to my huge drop. It was necessary due to the big difference from the armpit to waist, without flaring the waist a lot at the requested length, it wouldn't close properly. He felt this would have altered the over all look too much from the desired slim fit.

So the situation was, I had a great fitting jacket, that essentially did conform to what I had ordered but wasn't really what I wanted. There wasn't anything "wrong" with it but I wasn't really happy with it either. To further add to the situation I knew that with the custom size and my large drop, the odds of Dave being able to sell it on eBay to recoup some of the expense would be very slim if I asked him for a remake. I didn't feel that would have been fair anyway, after all I had asked for a shorter version.

I really think Dave's offer stands as great testament to his fair nature. Neither of us wanted to come out of this feeling taken advantage of, me stuck with a jacket I didn't really want, Dave having to remake a jacket there was nothing really wrong with. So we came to a compromise, I would keep this jacket and simply pay for parts and labour on a remake at the standard length. I don't really know when I'm going to get to wear both of them ;) but I think it was a fair solution for both of us in light of the situation. He would have been well within his rights in my opinion to simply say I got what I ordered and be done with it, thankfully he holds himself and his work to higher standards. I can't recommend him enough.

Thanks Dave.

Here are a few quick pics, I'll update this thread with more pics when the new longer jacket arrives.

Sorry about the quality of this one, best I could do today.

This shows the grain on the leather, its 3.25 Oz Horse Hide. beautiful and soft out of the box, great drape, no stiffness at all. Completely different to my Aeros FQHH but a little more substantial than the jerky horse from AL.

Will keep you updated re the standard length version.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Sorry to hear that mate. The one I got is a shorty too. It was advertised as such, and it was an eBay bargain. Yours looks good to my eye, you're pretty fit, so you don't a beer gut or anything to hide. But I know it feels different with a slightly cropped fit. Anyway, to look at it now, it actually looks pretty good. Why not get the other one in a different colour? Go for brown, and then you have both.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Hey Protein - I just ordered the same jacket from Dave, and I too went with a shorter length. Mine is still a few weeks out. I requested a 25" length, and I am 5'9". How tall are you?

ProteinNerd

Hey Protein - I just ordered the same jacket from Dave, and I too went with a shorter length. Mine is still a few weeks out. I requested a 25" length, and I am 5'9". How tall are you?

I'm 5"11

If you need a 40 inch chest and 8 inch drop...let me know lol

I'd email Dave with your concerns if you don't want it as cropped as mine... no point more people being in the same situation.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

+1. That's a great thought, get the next in brown. This on is a bit short, but definitely not unwearable.

Ii is a great thought but i already have an Aero cafe racer in brown thats 26 inches long sadly, its bit too similar. At least with the black I'll have a cropped and a longer version instead of 2 longer browns.

ProteinNerd

I'm not understanding why 23" works, and 27.5" works, but not 25"

What I understand is because it such a close fitting jacket, with the full length version, the zipper doesn't go all the way from the bottom of the jacket. As you can see below. This I'm guessing allows the jacket to be tight in the stomach but also allows the freedom for it to flare over the hips/bottom. First time I've really come across a problem from being in shape and having a narrower waist than hip/bottom measurement, I'm further guessing if you had a bit of a beer gut, it wouldn't be an issue because the waist measurement would already allow enough width for it to drop down to your hips?

Jeigernaut

New in Town
That's a great looking jacket. Does look an inch or so short but it doesnt really take away from how great it looks. fit looks excellent

ProteinNerd

I didn't specify new or distressed, I'm not even sure DD offers distressing so didn't think to ask.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I just ordered my J-100 from Diamond dave in seal brown shinki hh. Hopefull I don't have the same issue you did, but I don't think I will as I did not order any changes to the design in any way. FWIW I think the jacket actually looks pretty good and is still quite wearable.

GregO

One of the Regulars
I just ordered my J-100 from Diamond dave in seal brown shinki hh. Hopefull I don't have the same issue you did, but I don't think I will as I did not order any changes to the design in any way. FWIW I think the jacket actually looks pretty good and is still quite wearable.

That sounds like a really interesting hide for your J100. Can't wait to see some pictures.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That sounds like a really interesting hide for your J100. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Thanks! I'm quite excited. I have loved Cafe Racers for a while and the J-100 is my favorite design. Plus, I have really fallen for the beauty of shinki hh. I can't believe Dave is still offering the prices he does. It was a total steal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925