Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why I do not recommend Simmons Bilt Type B-7 parka

CatsCan

Practically Family
Yes, I know but I think it was not instantly clear to others to whose post the second part refers. So it could be read as if it was also one of mine.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, I know but I think it was not instantly clear to others to whose post the second part refers. So it could be read as if it was also one of mine.

It was not. But as I said this is besides the point now because everyone agrees at this point that they messed up the order.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Just curious, is this a B-7?

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

CatsCan

Practically Family
It becomes clear to me that this was designed as a coat instead of a jacket. I can see now what others said. S-B have made a jacket.

Found another one. Although the positions of the pockets seem closer to the originals in the "jacket" he recieved than it appears in the product photo from the website, it looks off.

8.jpg

zebedee

One Too Many
It's a pity the OP was unhappy. Dealings I've had with SB have resulted in a) a great custom reproduction of a 70's jacket and b) a really great Klondike in goat. I bought these because they were significantly different from Aeros, although for any similar-looking design, I'm an Aero man. I don't think SB makes anything as 'solidly' as Aero does, but they've never done me a bad turn.

kiril

New in Town
Many thanks to the community here, so many interesting and informative comments on the subject :)

It would have been better if SB communicated to me before producing and shipping - but they didn't.
To avoid my (customer) dissatisfaction SB could have clarified on:
- sheepskin color/finishing choice (differences very well described above by Canuck Panda, I would have picked the sturdy Merino)
-SB choise to shorten the parka based on my body measures (the result resembling B-3 jacket I would have chosen if I wished a shorter garment - which I didn't)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks to the community here, so many interesting and informative comments on the subject :)

It would have been better if SB communicated to me before producing and shipping - but they didn't.
To avoid my (customer) dissatisfaction SB could have clarified on:
- sheepskin color/finishing choice (differences very well described above by Canuck Panda, I would have picked the sturdy Merino)
-SB choise to shorten the parka based on my body measures (the result resembling B-3 jacket I would have chosen if I wished a shorter garment - which I didn't)
The more I understand your situation I would urge you to start the conversation with SB again. Jacket for jacket isn't unreasonable. As I understood you took your jacket back after shipping it back to SB, and what you want is a more robust shearling (that can stand) and longer B-7 coat. What you got now is a too soft shearling (can't stand) and shortened B-7 jacket. It isn't unreasonable to get what you want. There was another case here, with a different brand (Himel), the member was dissatisfied with his jacket and gotten a remake when he re-opened his concerns with the maker. Communication is key. I would talk to Debs again, nothing to lose at this point to start the conversation.

Aloysius

My understanding is that the Himel remakes happened because Superfluous as a friend of David intervened with him on behalf of TFL members.

I still don’t really see the point of trying for a remake, given that SB openly claimed nothing is wrong with the jacket just as they did with Pandemic’s. This means that even if they were to agree to a remake, they’d just produce the same thing.

It’s not down to ‘merino stiffness’ vs ‘North American softness’. The lacquer coat on sheepskin should not be rubbing off with the second wear. This is an irrelevant point frankly and just giving OP a confusing side avenue.

Only a refund can make it right. Because once again they think this result was a perfect jacket, just as they thought Pandemic should be happy with a square shaped 22” ptp and 22” hem jacket for a size 38.

I just saw the photos you posted, @kiril, and you absolutely need to be refunded and like yesterday. Fit issues aside, that leather is falling apart.

red devil

Shame this did not go well. Most companies get some issues at some point. As far as I know SB is a solid business overall.

The Aero pattern were stolen when the previous manager - forgot his name - moved to Alexandre leathers. That guy was jailed.

SB has since then developed their own patterns and jacket styles.

Edit: typo

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've had several sheepskin jackets from Aero over the past 10 years, not one of them flaked... at all, actually. I could be wrong but this just sounds like SB botched the job and don't fancy shouldering the cost and time of making good. Can't say this comes as a complete surprise...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner