Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did G-1s Get Larger?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Yeah, I have to admit it's more "fine" than my G+B and much more so than my issue. I really wish I could compare it to an original and see how much it looks like those old school jackets. It is looking better in a few months than my second issue looked in ten years though!

Hehe, I know that I'll be in for a wait, but it's hard to turn down what is supposed to be the ultimate naval flight jacket. ;)

Deacon

Edward

Bartender
Since they've been raised on here, how are the current issue G1s for quality in general, and more to the point how far off the general vibe of the originals are they? I'm not looking for Goodwear level accuracy here, just a general decent stab at it for a jacket to wear as a civilian jacket with a decent period look to it (let's say any time late forties to 1959). The likes of this look like a superb price if they have the right general vibe...

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/6...UN+JACKET/0/SKU/4-190-11798-1583/Default.aspx

Deacon211

One Too Many
Since they've been raised on here, how are the current issue G1s for quality in general, and more to the point how far off the general vibe of the originals are they? I'm not looking for Goodwear level accuracy here, just a general decent stab at it for a jacket to wear as a civilian jacket with a decent period look to it (let's say any time late forties to 1959). The likes of this look like a superb price if they have the right general vibe...

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/6...UN+JACKET/0/SKU/4-190-11798-1583/Default.aspx

Completely my opinion, but the latest models of the issued jackets are pretty humble. I was at a gathering last weekend where I got to see many fellow, let's say 90's era, Marine pilots and even their jackets were better than the second issue jacket that I stupidly exchanged my old one for in 2004.

I've never heard of Silverman's but it sounds like you believe them to be issue jackets. As far as I know there are only one or two makers of actual issue G-1s and these are not them. In fact, I tried to see if the actual makers might sell direct to the public but found no means to do so. Rather, issue seems to be a common bit of marketing that gets used by jacket makers these days to sell their wares.

I don't know what your price range is but my two suggestions would be the following:

1. Gibson and Barnes. They make a beautiful jacket that's decidedly better than what they are issuing now. The only problem is that they are cut pretty roomy, though I doubt you would know it unless you had something to compare it to.

2. The second is a qualified recommendation. US Wings. I know they have mixed reviews here and I'd encourage you to read them yourself, but I got an entry level A-2 for my wife and I'd have to say that it is well made with better goatskin than my issue G-1. Personally, I'd steer away from the Cockpit offerings. I used to love Cockpit jackets, but having seen some recent examples in Pensacola, I think they may have trended towards the over processed fashion jacket and away from the simple, tough G-1 that they used to sell.

Of course, you could probably find an actual issue jacket on eBay from the era you wished. It might even be cheaper than getting a copy jacket new.

Good luck!

Deacon

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner