Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I get ripped off?

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Not sure if I should have started a new topic for this, so if a moderator thinks this should be moved, please do so in the appropriate topic.

I am new here and relatively new to fedoras. I own three; a Churchill, and two Lee Trinitys.

I recently came across a hat store on West 57 in NYC. A small shop but caught my eye cause of its nice window display. I went in and the woman there had a nice selection.
I had been looking to purchase a straw hat for the summer and came across a selection of Stetsons there. Being on this forum for a few months now, I know how popular Stetsons are, and have drooled over many photos of these hats worn by members here!
So I come across her selection of Stetsons straws and I find one that fits me real well but know I probably won't buy it cause I am expecting it to be near $100. I have a very small head and had a size small. When I looked at the price it was only $69. The prices on the other straws were $90. The lady told me that the owner had mispriced a few Stetsons - this being one. She told me that if I really wanted the hat I should get it today because if I came back next week he will for sure have it changed to the right price.

So I bought the hat cause I both really liked it and also figured I was getting a good deal on it. She wound up selling the hat to me for $66.
Now this is my first Stetson and after I left the store I started to feel like maybe it was a fugazi. Call it me being neurotic or ignorant but I am just wondering if I paid a normal price for a Stetson straw for my size head (and mistakenly thought I was getting a bargain) or did I indeed get sold a fugazi, or did I in fact get a good deal on it and it is a legit Stetson?
One thing that worried me was that they came in sizes; Small, Medium, Large, etc. I know most fedoras or at least upscale ones will actually have number sizes on the inside. But was wondering if this was standard for a straw with the small, medium, large tag?
There is a Stetson logo in the inside of the hat and it looks like there is also a subtle sort of faded Stetson stamp on the inside of the hat too.

Sorry for the long ramble but was just hoping I could get some confirmation with photos I uploaded of the hat if it does indeed look like a legit Stetson.

If it is not, I don't think I'd return it cause I like how it fits and like how it looks. But I will probably visit this store again and let the lady know that I know what I got.
And if it is legit and I got a fair deal I will return to the store and give her more business!

Thanks in advance for any help!

AXLDEMOCRACY

AXLDEMOCRACY

Chinaski

One Too Many
Is it a genuine Stetson or counterfeit? I am not sure but I suspect it's a fakey. Be that as it may, I wouldn't say you overpaid too bad for purchasing a new summer lid at retail prices in NYC. The good news is you got to try it on in person and it fits you really well.

My take on it is if you like the hat, wear it and enjoy it and keep on absorbing info on the Lounge. Most of the hoopla regarding Stetson here on the Lounge is reserved for vintage examples - not so much modern era Stetsons.

It ain't a bad looking hat. Enjoy...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Exactly, it's not at all a bad looking hat for the money. If it is fake, that's actually kind of cooler than if it was a real Stetson, in a weird way. Wear it with pride.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Actually, I think it's legit, unless Village Hat Shop is selling counterfeit Stetsons too.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/stetson_retro_fedora.html

See the note about "Made in Mexico"? I noticed that in your photo. OK, so VHS has it cheaper, but when you factor in shipping and the fact that you were actually able to try it on in person, I think you made a fine purchase. I wanted to get one of these myself, but I need a XXL, which they don't have.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that link and for the encouraging advice and words :)

Feel better about it already! I will definitely enjoy the hat and wearing it :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
For a quintessentially American brand, if it is a Stetson I don't think they would leave the "made in Mexico" label in the hat even if it WAS made in Mexico. Stetson's current website still plays up the American thing, with "Made of America (TM)" prominently displayed.

That's really the only evidence I'm going on. I think the fact that the hat is not a specific size doesn't necessarily mean it's not genuine. What do you think?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Some Stetsons just have size designations of M, L, XL, etc. I've even seen some real low end Stetsons that came in S/M and L/XL.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just going to throw it out there...
http://www.stetsonhat.com/products_detail.php?id=441
The Stetson Retro comes in S-XL sizes.
I think we have pretty well established that this is an actual Stetson, and just a nice looking hat.

edit: this info was already up. Oops, but if you look at nothing else, notice the link to the Stetson site for confirmation on the Retro.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
Some Stetsons just have size designations of M, L, XL, etc. I've even seen some real low end Stetsons that came in S/M and L/XL.

I agree with that as well, Mr E. I was unsure of the "made in Mexico."

I looked at Mr. E's Village Hat Shop link which addresses the made in Mexico tag. Makes sense...wear that Stetson in good health, Axl!

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Thanks you!

And thanks again everyone for your patience with me and all your help.
Really appreciate it.

So happy there is a place like this with such great and helpful folks!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Chinaski said:
if it is a Stetson I don't think they would leave the "made in Mexico" label in the hat even if it WAS made in Mexico.
They have no choice, Country Of Origin labeling is required by federal law . ;)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
AXL if you like the hat you didn't get ripped off. If you don't you got a lesson. Either way chalk it up to more info in the the brain bank. I get more " nice hat'" comments from my first, a Stacy Adams Milan than any other vintage or custom I own.
Tom D.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Well, I think it a real Stetson, but I see why you would wonder. Regardless, you did not over-pay. That price is fairly normal for a cheapy straw, if it's even a true cheapy. Since you were surrounded by other hats of higher price, if there had been a significant quality difference, you probably would have noticed something amiss.

It's a nice hat that you happen to like, and at a good price. So, you win this round of hat-learnin' by my tally.

rnfuller

New in Town
I don't think you got ripped off. I just bought the same hat at Falkoffs Men Shop for $45. This shop has been in business since 1899, so I know it is not a fake!

Great hat, by the way.

I live close to Falkoffs, and they are great to deal with, and they do a great web business also.

www.falkoffs.com

Randy

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
May I just toss in another thought here? I agree that you got a nice hat for a decent price. But I think the term "ripped off" needs to be looked at. There's a big difference between not getting something for the best price, or even a good price, and being ripped off. I think for the latter there has to be some sort of fraud involved, or at least something shoddy or shadey.
When you enter the world of collecting, hats or anything else, there is a learning curve on the subject of value. It will be inevitable at times that you will pay more than you should for a given item as you progress. Don't make yourself too crazy over this issue. If you realize you've paid too much for a given item, chalk it up to experience.
You did just fine this time.

awest84532

Familiar Face
I have one of those, I bought it at HATCO in Garland, TX. I actually like mine a lot. It is really light and comfortable. It was a second so I got it for less than what you paid, Wear it and enjoy it.

carldelo

One Too Many
Re: the original purchase, it looks like a fair-enough price for the hat when you consider being able to handle it and try it on before buying. I do enjoy buying a hat in person, and don't mind paying a mild premium to do so. No one has asked yet, so I will - where is the shop on West 57th St.? I ask as I will be in the neighborhood soon and want to check it out.

Mr. E., I have coveted the Retro too, but also need XXL. David Morgan has a nearly identical lid that comes big enough, and has some nice details as well - just a thought. I haven't ordered it yet, but am thinking about it:
http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy