Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I spot a B3?

Xopher

A-List Customer
Hey folks, I just pulled out my Buddy Holly record (my all time favorite musician) and put it on the turntable for a slow snowy night here in Pennsylvania. I got to thinking Id read a bit about Buddy, I think if he had lived he'd have been the King of Rock and Roll. So I went online and they showed a picture of the plane after it crashed. There next to the plane investigating the crash I could swear thats a B3 the one guy is wearing. But Im a tad obsessed with bomber jackets so I may just be hoping it is. Here is the photo. Is it a B3 yay or nay? If it is the shade contrast in the photo leads me to believe its a mixed batch. Your thoughts

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pXrmIlU3FsA1k.JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIyZ20zZXI4BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM0MWU1NGE0YmNiNGFkNGRkMTI3NmMyZDgyNTZlYzVlNARncG9zAzMEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dbuddy%2Bholly%2Bplane%2Bcrash%2Bphotos%26fr%3Dyfp-t-901-s%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D3&w=1500&h=996&imgurl=fly.historicwings.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F02%2FHighFlight-TheMusicDied2.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffly.historicwings.com%2F2013%2F02%2Fthe-day-the-music-died%2F&size=202.7KB&name=HighFlight-TheMusicDied2&p=buddy+holly+plane+crash+photos&oid=41e54a4bcb4ad4dd1276c2d8256ec5e4&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-901-s&tt=HighFlight-TheMusicDied2&b=0&ni=21&no=3&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11sbfr5v9&sigb=13qu7scve&sigi=12dl6hin1&sigt=10opb74f1&sign=10opb74f1&.crumb=GpZ39mnBpd9&fr=yfp-t-901-s&fr2=piv-web

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't know about the B-3, but I can definitively say there isn't much left of that plane. From the position of the bodies in relation to the plane and the appearance of the wreckage, I would say the plane was coming down almost vertically when it struck the ground.

The pilot, Roger Peterson, wasn't instrument qualified and was a low time pilot. The requirements of the mission exceeded the abilities of the pilot.

My two theories of the crash have been either icing or vertigo, or perhaps a combination of the two. Take an inexperienced pilot, without instrument qualifications, a night flight with snow falling, and that is a recipe for disaster. What a shame.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Don't know about the B-3, but I can definitively say there isn't much left of that plane. From the position of the bodies in relation to the plane and the appearance of the wreckage, I would say the plane was coming down almost vertically when it struck the ground.

The pilot, Roger Peterson, wasn't instrument qualified and was a low time pilot. The requirements of the mission exceeded the abilities of the pilot.

My two theories of the crash have been either icing or vertigo, or perhaps a combination of the two. Take an inexperienced pilot, without instrument qualifications, a night flight with snow falling, and that is a recipe for disaster. What a shame.

My father (who was a high-hours, CFI) used to say that inexperience raises its ugly head before a plane ever leaves the ground...because it blinds a pilot from seeing what he's getting himself into.

AF

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hah I look for musicians in flight jacket photos all the time to put in the "famous people in flight jackets" thread. There are very few public photos of anyone wearing them so this is rare.

Edward

Bartender
Buddy Holly's importance to rock and roll simply can't be overstated. While others had done it before (for all the post-Stray Cats revisionism, as many or more early rockabilly records were laid down with a Telecaster than a Gretsch), he was the first to popularise the solid body electric guitar - the Stratocaster in particular - in mainstream rock and roll popular music. He really established the two guitars, bass and drums format that became such a standard. The Beatles ripped it all off from him - hell, even the insectoid name...

Peacoat

Bartender
My father (who was a high-hours, CFI) used to say that inexperience raises its ugly head before a plane ever leaves the ground...because it blinds a pilot from seeing what he's getting himself into.

AF

Yep, so true. After Vietnam, I was an instrument flight instructor in the basic flight division as well as in the flight standards division. After a year or so being an IP, I saw just how blind I had been.

A corollary to what your Dad said, is that we (pilots) must learn from the mistakes of other pilots as we will never live long enough to make all of the mistakes ourselves. It takes a minute or two to realize what is actually being said.

And back to the B-3, I agree with Big J that it looks like a B-3, but my expertise lies with peacoats and not the B-3.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
let me roll it.jpg

Im no Buddy Holly, but Im a musician and wearing a B-3...does this count..[huh]

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Whats that one night Ranger Album there is a music Vid with the Guys running a B-25 Mission, and the Album cover is a B-25 and one of them has a B-3 on.

The Vid is worth Watching for the shots of the Bomber and B-3 Jacket, the Hair metal Scene was not for me tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats