Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did the Price of Aero Jackets go Down?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I see. Those taxes appear to be quite substantial.
The UK VAT is 20%.
Germany 19%, Austria 20% etc.
If you order from the USA, you usually pay no duty and no VAT and thus get away cheaper.
Therefore, the prices will seem lower. I pay a little more now than I did before the Brexit. But not as much as after the Brexit but before the rollout of the new website.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, mix of the changes re VAT and the fact the pound has sunk from a historical low to a record, all time low 8n value against the US dollar. I won't be surprised if they hit parity over the Winter, though if you're working in USD and considering it, buy now, as if/when the pound ever recovers, that will change.

Aloysius

The VAT price change actually makes a bigger difference to UK customers than ROW (the "VAT removed" prices are essentially the prices we already had on Aero's site; the UK prices are those plus VAT).

What you're seeing is the strong dollar and weak pound.

Rich22

Practically Family
Did Aero prices recently jump? At a glance they look to have gone up close to 50% in the last 6 years... certainly ahead of inflation.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Yeah I'm a bit sad that I didn't order two Aero jackets instead of one during the sale.
~590 sale price vs ~770 now. It was a fantastic chance to get an Aero, even if you do end up sending it back or selling it.

zebedee

One Too Many
Yes, I am a long-term customer, but my options would price a jacket at 1000 GBP-plus. I was happy with Loakes at 210 GBP but stopped buying them when they priced up to 250-270 GBP and switched over to William Lennon and a bloke in Tsim Sha Tsui who can make you a pair of pretty-much-as-good brogue boots for 200 GBP. We'll see - might be time to wait for sales for me. Price rises are inevitable, I suppose. What occurred to me is that, if an Aero is going to be a grand, would I begin to think about a Thedi (if I'm spending that much money, why not a bit more?) or just go cold turkey? You only go to hell if Simmons Bilt is considered, I think (joking...). But, yes, at what point does priced-out on a brand arrive?

Last edited:

Aloysius

With the weak pound I'm surprised they could afford the sale (maybe it was meant as a sort of thank-you to the enthusiasts), let alone why they hadn't raised prices earlier.

Rich22

Practically Family
Yes, I am a long-term customer, but my options would price a jacket at 1000 GBP-plus. I was happy with Loakes at 210 GBP but stopped buying them when they priced up to 250-270 GBP and switched over to William Lennon and a bloke in Tsim Sha Tsui who can make you a pair of pretty-much-as-good brogue boots for 200 GBP. We'll see - might be time to wait for sales for me. Price rises are inevitable, I suppose. What occurred to me is that, if an Aero is going to be a grand, would I begin to think about a Thedi (if I'm spending that much money, why not a bit more?) or just go cold turkey? You only go to hell if Simmons Bilt is considered, I think (joking...). But, yes, at what point does priced-out on a brand arrive?
Thedi's prices have been high for some time... but yes, I totally get that point!

It was just a bit of a sticker shock to see average Aero jacket prices jump from about £600 to £870ish in half a decade. £100 less, slightly beyond inflation, might not have elicited such a surprise

zebedee

One Too Many
Thedi's prices have been high for some time... but yes, I totally get that point!

It was just a bit of a sticker shock to see average Aero jacket prices jump from about £600 to £870ish in half a decade. £100 less, slightly beyond inflation, might not have elicited such a surprise
I think that they make outstanding jackets and I regularly get complimented on the Aeros I own. Weirdly, I also wouldn't want to pay much less than 700 GBP for a jacket or about 180 GBP for boots, but I have a sort of 'cap' on what I'll pay, too, and it's not much north of those numbers (for me, 900 is about it). I imagine that a pair of Trickers is better, in some ways, than a pair of Loakes, or that some of the highest-end makers have perfect stitching, etc., but that doesn't make that much of a difference to me (or not enough to justify the price difference), so I'd likely never know as I probably won't get to wear said item and I'm not sufficiently invested to research it and wouldn't remember the terminology if I did (which is pretty handy, actually). I'm glad that I bought the Aeros I own when I did.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ