Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between Fed IV and Fed IV Deluxe

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge....

Imperial Quality

Akubra Hats reputation for tough wearing qualities and fine fedora styles is based on this grade of felt. It is tough, hard wearing and can take any punishment dished out to it. These hats like hard wearing.
The Heritage Quality

This felt is a relatively recent addition and is made from finer fibres taken from a select part of the rabbit pelt and mixed with the native Hare resulting in a grade which is denser and smoother than the Imperial grade. Parts of the pelt not required are discarded. It is more stable over time and less prone to shrinkage and distortions such as the tapering of the crown.

The Heritage Grade is the closest rabbit fur grade to Beaver Felt.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/federation/felt.html

theinterchange

One Too Many
First off, welcome to the Lounge!

Just to be clear, the Imperial Quality is the Regular, Heritage, the Deluxe.

Having owned BOTH Federations, I can safely say that I feel the Deluxe is worth the extra expense. UNLESS, you're wanting carbon grey which is a Regular only color. OR, your budget calls for the Regular. ;)

Let me explain why I feel it's worth the extra cash.

First off, the felt is smoother and softer, the sweatband is nicer [softer, more supple], and the felt's colors are a bit richer. My Deluxe was also easier to style as it wasn't as "helmet" like in stiffness out of the box.

As to long term durability, I'd say either is a very safe bet.

I can't rightfully say anything negative about the Regulars, and have seen some that looked downright fantastic.

It boils down to your budget, and what you're willing to spend.

Randy

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wrestled for a while making the regular/deluxe decision.

I went with the regular, and I couldnt be happier. The sweat is as comfortable as I could want. The hat was easily creased with water from a spray bottle, and it keeps its shape with no fuss. Over time it has softened up, and in no way resembles the 'helmet' that some have described. Ive worn it while ripping out vines, and after a brushing, with a suit. For me, this hat does it all.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
In my opinion, it is worth it. Having touched both versions, I find the deluxe felt smoother and softer than the regular version. And the sweatband etc. are also of superior quality.

The difference in the price isn't that great, after all - at least in my opinion - and the extra expense is well worth it.

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Imperial

To follow up on theinterchange, as an owner of a few Akubra imperial felts the stiffness does die down over time. A lot of discussion on the Feds in the forum, enjoy the agony of deciding. :)

theinterchange

One Too Many
munchausen said:
To follow up on theinterchange, as an owner of a few Akubra imperial felts the stiffness does die down over time. A lot of discussion on the Feds in the forum, enjoy the agony of deciding. :)

I should have been clearer on that point, it's initially stiff, and they do soften with use. I know a guy who has 3-4 Regular Feds and they're all very floppy.

Randy

frussell

One Too Many
Deluxe

I've never felt the other grade of felt from Akubra. My Campdraft, Squatter, Stylemaster and new Fed IV have all been Imperial quality. I do have to say that the Fed IV is very soft, and the sweat seems to be made of slightly thinner and more supple leather than my other Imperial models. I have yet to apply steam or water of any kind to it, and it has held the dry bash I put in it two weeks ago nicely. I'm really curious to handle the Deluxe, if it is a step up in quality, as this is pretty fine. Mine is a Carbon Grey, not sure if that has any bearing on softness or not. And yes, they soften up quick. My Campdraft got super soft and comfortable within hours of receiving it. Frank

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
frussell said:
I've never felt the other grade of felt from Akubra. My Campdraft, Squatter, Stylemaster and new Fed IV have all been Imperial quality. I do have to say that the Fed IV is very soft, and the sweat seems to be made of slightly thinner and more supple leather than my other Imperial models. I have yet to apply steam or water of any kind to it, and it has held the dry bash I put in it two weeks ago nicely. I'm really curious to handle the Deluxe, if it is a step up in quality, as this is pretty fine. Mine is a Carbon Grey, not sure if that has any bearing on softness or not. And yes, they soften up quick. My Campdraft got super soft and comfortable within hours of receiving it. Frank

How do your Imperials compare to nice vintage felts? I'm on the other side - have only the single Heritage. It was stiff at first, but after a few rainstorms it's a great hat. I can't say the felt is as nice as my nicest vintage hats, but I honestly have no complaints and will probably order a another Fed IV Deluxe in black if it becomes available.

frussell

One Too Many
Fed IV Comparison

Well, right now the only vintage I've got is a 40 or 50 year old western conversion that's 100% beaver, so hard to say, especially since the company that renovated it put tons of stiffener in. Compared to vintage hats I've owned, I'd say the felt is a wee bit more coarse, but has the same feel as far as flexibility, and lightness on my head. The Christy's I just sold had a smoother hand, but I prefer the Fed IV in terms of construction. Both were sold as size 63, but there's at least a size difference in fit. I think after this hat gets wet a few times, and I've brushed it once or twice, it will feel as smooth as anything I've owned. It doesn't feel like wool or anything, just not silky smooth. I can say I was expecting a much thicker, unbeveled edge to the felt on the brim after reading some older reviews, but it's pretty thin and does not need sanding or anything to make it satisfactory. It will only get better, but at least until I get my Art Fawcett Whippet, this is the best money I've spent on a non-cowboy hat in the last few decades. Hopefully I'll get to whip out a suit sometime during the holidays and see how it looks in a more formal setting. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces, and really would love to feel a Deluxe to see what I'm missing. Not many Loungers in my area of Southern California though. Frank.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
frussell said:
Well, right now the only vintage I've got is a 40 or 50 year old western conversion that's 100% beaver, so hard to say, especially since the company that renovated it put tons of stiffener in. Compared to vintage hats I've owned, I'd say the felt is a wee bit more coarse, but has the same feel as far as flexibility, and lightness on my head. The Christy's I just sold had a smoother hand, but I prefer the Fed IV in terms of construction. Both were sold as size 63, but there's at least a size difference in fit. I think after this hat gets wet a few times, and I've brushed it once or twice, it will feel as smooth as anything I've owned. It doesn't feel like wool or anything, just not silky smooth. I can say I was expecting a much thicker, unbeveled edge to the felt on the brim after reading some older reviews, but it's pretty thin and does not need sanding or anything to make it satisfactory. It will only get better, but at least until I get my Art Fawcett Whippet, this is the best money I've spent on a non-cowboy hat in the last few decades. Hopefully I'll get to whip out a suit sometime during the holidays and see how it looks in a more formal setting. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces, and really would love to feel a Deluxe to see what I'm missing. Not many Loungers in my area of Southern California though. Frank.

The Akubra I have cost less than a Stetson of poorer felt quality, and over half of my vintage hats are Stetsons, so I have tried to be a believer. But...if your Akubra felt ever approaches the quality of a good vintage (say, a 3x 1940-50 Stetson) report back and I'm sure Akubra sales will go up dramatically.

theinterchange

One Too Many
ScottF said:
The Akubra I have cost less than a Stetson of poorer felt quality, and over half of my vintage hats are Stetsons, so I have tried to be a believer. But...if your Akubra felt ever approaches the quality of a good vintage (say, a 3x 1940-50 Stetson) report back and I'm sure Akubra sales will go up dramatically.

That's not exactly an even comparison. Were you comparing a 1940-50 Akubra to a 40-50 Stetson, it'd be more of an even fight. Modern hats aren't vintage, therefore of different felt and construction qualities.

Oh, were you comparing your Akubra to other modern Stetsons? If so, nevermind then. ;)

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot