Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinner or Supper?

My mom made OJ from concentrate and it was watery and not great. But my grandmother had fresh OJ which was like the Tiffany's of OJ for me as a kid. Also, my grandmother made breakfast for me - at home, I was on my own. Staying at grandmother's was like going to a hotel (albeit in a tenement which is where she lived) in my world - things were done for me there. Oddly, she always took the milk out about twenty minutes before we drank it as she liked it at room temperature, but the OJ was served straight from the refrigerator.

One of the best things about growing up in Florida was a couple of grocery sacks full of fresh oranges at the ready, or a walk out to the backyard. We made fresh squeezed OJ like one makes coffee.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Dinna," "dinner" or whatever, what's more interesting is how hungry was everyone by 8pm or 9pm? You guys must have had a serious snack by that point. Today - at 53 - I'm not a big eater, but as a kid, if I had eaten dinna/dinner at 4:30pm, I'd have been gnawing my arm off by 8pm.

Edit add: I see 2Jakes shares my concerns on the early dinner and later hunger worries.

We tended to go to bed early, and I usually had a dish of cereal right before hitting the sack -- usually Rice Krispies or something similarly easy to digest. As I got older the snack got more substantial -- in my teens, i'd often have a simple sandwich made of two pieces of toast with mozzarella cheese between them. Nowadays it's back to cereal, something like All Bran or shredded wheat.

I still have my supper around 4:30 -- either here or at work, depending on the day of the week. Old habits die hard.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
If I eat a banana before going to bed.
I’ll have nightmares in color all night.

Coffee. I’ll be up all night.

One shot of alcohol. I’ll sleep like a baby 'til Tuesday
but wake up with a hangover.

And the distant sound of a train at night sound different in the Fall.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
In our house, growing up, I remember there was a marked generational shift. My brotehr and I think in trms of breakfast / lunch / dinner, whereas for my parents generation (and, it seems, our cousins and friends who grew up where my parents did - five miles up the road, which is a lot in rural Ireland), it was breakfast, dinner, and tea. There was also - among older people, who had the time for it - a tendency for "dinner" to be the heavier meal, and something lighter for "tea" in the evening. That obviously shifted markedly with the generations, though the last time I spent any serious time in the Larne area the nomenclature still hadn't.

I lived under that opposite set of rules. At home, I could have as much soda as I wanted (from those big value bottles) - my parents accepted that I was going to consume a lot of food / drink as a growing boy - but when we went out (mainly pizza or a diner), I was limited to one soda, period. That was torture as I would like to have had one while waiting for the food and then one with the food, but I learned not to order it until the food came.

Fizzy pop is a thing I probably consume farr too often now (though I do favour the sugar-free options). It was a rare treat when I was a kid: dilute squash went a lot further on my folks' budget back then (plus my mother will believe any old healthscare tripe about stuff causing cancer or head rot, or whatever - she bought into that ecchinea rubbish big time as I recall). Fizzy was for restaurants, and yes, one glass. I had to smile at myself last night when we went out ofracurry and I realised I was making my drink last, and hadn't touched it til the food arrived. I still remember Dad telling us not to touch our drinks before the food got there ("that's why they bring you it first, ehile you wait: they want you to drink it all and then have to buy another.").

I tend to eat much as my cat, small portions maybe four / five times a day.

I think that's acommon approach in SE Asia from what I see.... it's something I fall into sometimes at weekends when things are a bit more relaxed and I'm not gonig out anywhere.

Apart from our intake of salt laden, preservative packed, processed food and our high intake of sugar and molasses, we are also eating our meals the wrong way around.
To keep your weight down you need to breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper.

What you're saying is what I've read - I'm sure it makes sense - but I don't enjoy eating any large meals as I hate that stuffed feeling I get afterwards. Over many years, I've just gravitated to eating a bunch of small snacks throughout the day versus any big meals. Even our dinner is, as noted, nothing more than a slightly larger snack.

Even when we go out, we only go to places were it is accepted that you can share a meal, not order entrees, etc., as we can't eat a full restaurant meal anymore because we've "trained" our systems to expect smaller meals. I've been told what we do is healthier, but we didn't choose it so much as it chose us as we got older.

Our only challenge is eating with other people as they never thing we've ordered or eaten enough.

One of the best things about growing up in Florida was a couple of grocery sacks full of fresh oranges at the ready, or a walk out to the backyard. We made fresh squeezed OJ like one makes coffee.

I'm just going to admit this: the freshest juice I ever got as a kid - and what I thought fresh meant - was the stuff in the milk cartons from the supermarket. My mother used the concentrate stuff as it was the cheapest and my grandmother had the milk container OJ, but no-one I knew squeezed oranges to make juice.

It wasn't until I started staying in nice hotels on business that I think I connected "fresh squeezed" with truly squeezing the juice out of the orange right before or close to serving.

...Fizzy was for restaurants, and yes, one glass. I had to smile at myself last night when we went out ofracurry and I realised I was making my drink last, and hadn't touched it til the food arrived. I still remember Dad telling us not to touch our drinks before the food got there ("that's why they bring you it first, ehile you wait: they want you to drink it all and then have to buy another.").....

Wow, that brought back a memory flash - the discipline it took not to drink your soda right when it came or you wouldn't have any for the meal. That's why I started to order it only when the meal came.

We tended to go to bed early, and I usually had a dish of cereal right before hitting the sack -- usually Rice Krispies or something similarly easy to digest. As I got older the snack got more substantial -- in my teens, i'd often have a simple sandwich made of two pieces of toast with mozzarella cheese between them. Nowadays it's back to cereal, something like All Bran or shredded wheat.

I still have my supper around 4:30 -- either here or at work, depending on the day of the week. Old habits die hard.

That all makes sense, I just couldn't believe - in particular as a kid - that you ate at 4:30pm and were done for the day.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm just going to admit this: the freshest juice I ever got as a kid - and what I thought fresh meant - was the stuff in the milk cartons from the supermarket. My mother used the concentrate stuff as it was the cheapest and my grandmother had the milk container OJ, but no-one I knew squeezed oranges to make juice.
il_340x270.1134179980_ny3n.jpg

I still have this from my mom’s kitchen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The meal schedule was originally built around my grandfather's schedule -- he got home from the station about 4, and liked to eat as soon as possible after getting home so he could fall asleep in his chair afterward listening to the news. I usually had supper at their house because my mother was working, so I ate on their schedule.

We had very simple meals -- he didn't like fancy food, and didn't have too many teeth left to chew it, so there was a lot of chowder, mackerel, casseroles, and other, as the Ipana toothpaste ads used to put it, "creamy well-cooked foods." Chipped beef was one of my favorites, along with boiled heart meat, both of which fit into the "well-cooked' category. And of course my all-time favorite childhood meal was finnan haddie -- smoked haddock poached in evaporated milk. Cooked right it dissolved into tiny flakes when you hit it with a fork, and the milk got very salty from the fish. Nothing like it in the world. I've introduced The Kids to it, and while they thought the idea was disturbing when I described it, after trying it they changed their minds.

Got it - eye wash glass. Duh - feeling pretty stupid (but am quite familiar with that feeling). Most that I've seen today are plastic - that's my only defense.

Edit add: I did get it before post #59

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner