Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disney's Carousel of Progress

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
I miss Country Bears. Killed by Pooh. At the Carousel I rode a Segway a few years ago. On those days when I just don't feel like going to work, I wonder what it would be like to work at Disneyland. Weird Al even wrote a song about it. I would be happy to be Skipper Dan on the Jungle Cruise. Bengal Tigers can jump 20 feet! The back side of water!

Don't forget Trader Sam the (shrunken) Head salesman and his 2 for 1 Sale: Two of his for one of yours! :p

And for your listening and dancing pleasure the Main Street USA music loop

[video=youtube;c24QRXPkNkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c24QRXPkNkA[/video]

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
Circa 1981 I watched a production number that went:
"Showbiz is... (da-da da-da da-da-da)
Showbiz is... (da-da da-da da-DAH!)"

I wonder if that's on YT... not that I really want to see or hear it again...

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
I vividly remember the Carousel of Progress! My grandparents lived near Disney World in the early-mid 90s, so we'd go nearly every year. I remember they had the long-running song, "Now is the time...now is the best time..." and then they changed it for some reason. Always, when I went their though, it would end in the mid-80s segment. It'll be interesting to see some of the clips above from 1967. I also remember the Haunted Mansion, Its A Small World, Country Bear Jamboree, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, The Tiki Room, The Jungle Ride, The Hall of Presidents, The People Mover etc. When I went there, it was around the time when the movie Honey, I Shrunk the Kids came out and we all played in the part that made it looked like everyone had shrunk. I remember the big cheerio and sliding down the "leaves" and oh yes, sliding down the Kodak Film slide. :) Ahhh, memories! I've never been to Disneyland though. Interesting to hear that someone actually died while on the Carousel of Progress!?

-Kristi

Cricket

Practically Family
I can remember visiting Disney World every year as a child. Especially at Epcot, with the rides, shows, etc. about the future....I always thought in the 2000s, we could live in communities underwater and that space communities would exist.

As a child, I always told my mother that I would live in an underwater community. But then it would dawn on me.

"Mom, I can't swim so maybe that's a bad idea. So I guess I will in space."

fashion frank

One Too Many
I just saw this at Disney about three weeks ago and I loved it !
I think the 1930's part of it was the best although the voice activated oven got a chuckle out of me as the smoke poured out of it.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
It's a fine balance at Disney. Older folks love the older rides, etc. but they bore the kids. Not a shock. You hate to see them go, but I also understand when they need to update things. The things I go to like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion and Carousel don't thrill the kiddies. See if while it's there. At some point, they'll replace it with something totally different. The best you can hope for is that they would upgrade and make a modern, more exciting iteration to attract new folks.

That's what is great about Youtube videos that people post from their vacations, you can virtually-revisit some of those old rides that no longer exist. Of course it's not the same as hopping in a time machine and experiencing it for real, but it's the next best thing. ;)

fashion frank

One Too Many
It's a fine balance at Disney. Older folks love the older rides, etc. but they bore the kids. Not a shock. You hate to see them go, but I also understand when they need to update things. The things I go to like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion and Carousel don't thrill the kiddies.

I hear you, I loved the Haunted Mansion and the Hollywood Hotel of Terror .
I went on the Mummy three times and it also seems to me that Universal Studios had better rides.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

As far as I know the Jungle Cruise ride is still there. Perhaps you're thinking about the Motorboat ride that was in Fantasyland.

That's what is great about Youtube videos that people post from their vacations, you can virtually-revisit some of those old rides that no longer exist. Of course it's not the same as hopping in a time machine and experiencing it for real, but it's the next best thing. ;)

Funny but nowadays I seem to be more content to walk around and take pics or shoot video than go on the rides.

[video=youtube;pDuwU6h1sHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDuwU6h1sHI[/video]

Last edited:
I took this pic last year around this time.

DSCF8668.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24